PDA

View Full Version : Possible changes for the 50th Anniversary

Darkbeer
10-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Marcie over at MouseInfo.com writes in her latest column...

Is Disney Turning The Corner? (http://www.mouseinfo.com/columns/marcie/20021012/index.php)

Meanwhile over at Disneyland, the jewel of the Disney crown is receiving some much-needed attention in anticipation of the 50th Anniversary – a 15 month celebration scheduled to last from April 2005 through July 2006. The entire “it’s a small world” façade was recently repainted back to its original 1960’s color scheme. The Castle will become the icon of this “golden” anniversary event – and the castle will surely reflect it! Space Mountain will be getting its entire track system replaced. Although the track layout will remain pretty much the exact same, changes in track construction and installation in the last 20 years will allow for new and improved show effects to be added inside the mountain and a complete redo of the load/unload station. A new generation of monorails is being planned for the resort. The new trains will be a welcome replacement to the existing, aging monorail fleet. To celebrate the history of the original Magic Kingdom, a new Circlevision theater presentation is being developed for Tomorrowland.

So the ONE and ONLY new attraction will be a new CircleVision film (not the most expensive choice for a new attraction).

A retracking of Space Mountain, which needed it, 50th anniversary or not...

Also new Monorail trains, another needed repair...

Not what we heard a couple of years ago....

It should be interesting to see what actually happens

Morrigoon
10-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Yay.

A new Circlevision film would be nice I guess - as long as it doesn't feature ANYONE from the Disney Channel! ;)

merlinjones
10-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Fine. But...

Submarines?
PeopleMover?
Rocket Jets?
Inner Space?
Carousel of Progress?
Golden Horseshoe Revue?
Pirate Ship?
Skyway?
Flying Saucers?
Buzz Lightyear?
Restored Tomorrowland design?

New E Ticket?

Tref
10-13-2002, 08:17 PM
I am fine with just the paint jobs and the new Magic Kingdom Circle Vision film. We do have to consider the new Twilight Zone ride in DCA. I say, let 'em fix DCA, first and get that off the ground rolling. I'd rather think all the talent was concentrated together on one or two projects then spread thin between both parks.

i remain,

BJW
10-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Yay.

A new Circlevision film would be nice I guess - as long as it doesn't feature ANYONE from the Disney Channel! ;)
Bummer to go through the Rocket Rods que line without actually getting to ride the ride. :mad:

Darkbeer
10-13-2002, 09:30 PM
The Number ONE thing that needs to be changed......

POTS!!!!! aka The Parade of Horse Manure

If they don't give us a new parade, I will scream.....

PLEASE give us a NEW parade!!!!!!

sydney
10-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Darkbeer-- didn't they promise they were shlepping POTS over to Hong Kong for their opening, thereby neccesitating a new parade for DL? Or is that no longer the plan since the Hong Kong opening has been pushed back...

Also, I'm bummed about Space Mtn, if that's all they're doing. (yes, it needs it, I know, but...) the previous rumors were so exciting--- powered launch, etc.... would have been amazing.

But I'll take what I can get ;) BUT PLEASE-- the one request I hope they take seriously is finally permanantly fixing the sound system in the cars so that it doesn't break down the way this one has. (that would be my "if they don't I'll die" request.)

(And while they're at it... the same goes for Scremin')

A gold castle? Is that what is being suggested here? That could... well, take some getting used to.

Morrigoon
10-13-2002, 11:06 PM
A gold castle? Ew. Ow. (castle IS south-facing - I hope someone's thinking of this!) Again, ew. Dude, leave our castle alone (remember the birthday cake disaster at WDW?)

Baloo
10-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Darkbeer, should you add to your post that these are just a few of the things happening to Disneyland for the 50th before you get people all upset. It was clearly said that these are just a few things that are being considered. over where this information was posted another reader and the moderator of the site also reminded us that the other changes and events cannot be announced at the moments because it is not appropriate at the time.

Laughingplace also has an article with Cynthia Harris that also just hints of the possible ideas for the 5oth but not much can be stated at the moment becuase of compoany policies

merlinjones
10-14-2002, 05:57 AM
I do hope for more. I trust there will be...

While I heartily welcome a new CircleVision film, shouldn't the attraction have reopened a month after Rocket Rods was shuttered?

While I heartily welcome paint, shouldn't it have been applied to the park on an ongoing basis?

What was once mundane maintenence is now cause for fan anticipation?

swcrazy
10-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Last weekend I talked to one of the monorail CMs about a new monorail. He said that at the earliest, the can get new ones in 2008. Every year there is a rumored possibility of new monorails. Let's hope this time that they come through.

RStar
10-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Well, 2008 will be just a little late for the 50th in 2005, don't you think. Will it wait 6 more years?? They are being held together with white duct tape now!!

I don't see them having the 50th cellebration without a 50th parade. The question is, do we have to wait THAT long for a new one? And what about a second, night time parade? Merlinjones is right, have we become so placid about repairs that our glee gets deluted into work orders that should have happened long ago?

If it wasn't so depressing, I would change my tag line to read:

"Fixing a broken park is NOT an improvement, it's maintenance!"

Sydney, I think part of the idea behind the new ride vehicles for Space Mnt. is (from what I hear) to fix the sound problems. We can hope!;)

Techie7
10-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by swcrazy
Last weekend I talked to one of the monorail CMs about a new monorail. He said that at the earliest, the can get new ones in 2008. Every year there is a rumored possibility of new monorails. Let's hope this time that they come through.

Sunday morning the monorails were down again due to electrical problems with Blue. After talking with a CM they confirmed that Blue is giving them more and more problems and loses power on a regular basis. Orange is completely out right now with no return in sight. Red is unpredictable as well and it seems that Purple has become the workhorse of the fleet. It really becomes an issue for those guests who are staying on site for the use of the monorails.

The CM stated that they have been asking for new monorails and "If Walt were still around we would have new Monorails and we would not have DCA" Later the CM went on to say that "Eisner is an idiot." It is getting bad when the CMs are flat out telling guests that the CEO is an idiot and unfit to run the corporation.

From what I gathered along with a long list of known problems and standard breakdowns they have started getting more and more new problems with the monorails. Replacing them with the ones from WDW would require a retro of the track and possibly the stations. Seeing as how Disney was so reluctant to add any track earlier in the expansion due to costs I don't know how soon this can happen. The track is in need of repair as a few MPers noticed on Sunday.

The CM joked that at some point they may just give up on trying to fix the electrical problems and just build another diesal tractor and tow the monorails around the line. Something needs to be done because they can't last much longer!