PDA

View Full Version : DL (slowly) getting back on right track?

Morrigoon
10-13-2002, 05:54 PM
It seems to me that DL finally hit rock bottom. I've been watching the recent (since Cynthia took over) developments, and though it got off to a bit of a slow start, the park is better off now than it was in, say, '98. Streets are getting swept, buildings are being painted with more and more frequency (by no means perfect, don't read me wrong here, but they are starting to get on these things!). The Small World repainting was simple, cheap, and VERY WELCOME. (If only they'd do Space Mountain the same favor!)

Even DCA, of which I have been one of the biggest critics, is improving (slowly). They added FFF. Yes, they are off-the-shelf rides. No, it isn't any great innovation. But you know what? We (the guests) told them they needed kiddie stuff, and they got us kiddie stuff QUICKLY. And well-themed at that. I'm not saying I approve of using dressed up o-t-s stuff, but considering how badly DCA needed the help, I don't disapprove of it as a "quick fix".

Pressler has gone back to retail, the area he excels at (too bad DIS didn't keep him for the Disney Stores, which were never the same after he moved to parks). Eisner's days as CEO are numbered as well.

There is a long way to go before I can say they're out of the woods. The Disney Channel programming is simply awful. It offers nothing for its original, loyal audience (who are all mid-20's or older and would like some VAULT DISNEY once in a while). DCA still needs some major help (like a theme change - Disney's America, anyone?). The Animation Studios need to return to fairy tales every now and again (Frog Prince, Rapunzel, Rumplestiltskin?) We haven't had a good live-action musical in ages (I heard Eisner allude to a live action B&TB film on the special features section of the newly released DVD - finally a good idea Mikey!). And ABC......(sigh) Drew Carey is good, but what else have they got? But those things aside, I have seen a slow shift toward better things. After stumbling miserably for a few years, I think the higher ups are slowly coming to the realization that the public wants quality, and we'll gladly pay through the nose for it - but if what we recieve isn't quality, we'll stop buying.

Overlays have gone over really well at the park. HMH is fantastic. They're obviously listening to the customers on that one - we wanted Burton's music, they gave it to us. We wanted the stretching room returned to the old soundtrack, they gave us that too (without angering Burton's fans by removing the entire new soundtrack). IASWH is lovely, a perfect compliment to both the attraction and the season (honestly, I only go on IASW like once a year during the regular version, but ride it almost every visit during the holidays). There are still some attractions which would benefit from overlays, and I believe the popularity of the current ones will have Disney considering the others. For the first time in a long time, I think Disney is occasionally hearing what we say. (Not everything, but a few things with greater and greater frequency)

I think finally, that we can say they are headed in the right direction, albeit slowly.

PXSgeek
10-13-2002, 06:39 PM
I watched a "Behind The Scenes At WDW" Travel channel special last week and it taked about how Eisner took WDW from 2 "so so" parks to a MEGA RESORT, he did this in what is called a "disney decade." He fixed Epcot, built both MGM and AK and who knows how many hotels. Some people also say in the past 10 years DLR has been neglected, my opinion is the DLR is getting a "Disney Decade" as well, look at all the things we've gotten since 2000:
Fastpass
Believe
DCA
Downtown Disney
2 new hotels
Lincoln Update
45 Ann.
FFF.
HMH
And recently a IASW repaint.
Coming Soon the 50th ann. with (hopefully) all sorts of fun.
I think a the DLR is changing and if indeed were getting a "Disney Decade" it should be rather amazing to look back at it 10 years from now. :)

Morrigoon
10-13-2002, 07:56 PM
"fixed" Epcot? What was wrong with it that needed fixing? (Even as a kid, Epcot was my fave WDW park)

MGM and AK: Well, maybe they improved MGM since my last visit (7 years ago). It was, at best, a half day park. AK I've never been to but reports from others say the same thing as I said about MGM.

I say the best hope has only been in the last year or so.

Laffite
10-14-2002, 12:51 AM
I hope DL is improving. It's been said many times, businesses have cycles. Looks like Disney has hit the bottom so they'll be coming back soon, just in time for the 50th too.

RStar
11-01-2002, 08:01 AM
i don't know if I can say DL has hit bottom, because there is room, IMHO, that it could get worse. So, don't count your chickens before they hatch.;)

However I must agree with you, morrigoon. I feel the park, and resort as a whole may very well be back on an upswing. I think there is an improvement already. It will be a bumpy road for a few years with things down all over the park for rehab.

PSXgeek, that's an interesting observation that we could have a Disney decade for 2000-2010. I hope it is true. I feel that the first half will be "fixes" and (oh, I hope:( ) additions, with 'E' tickets in the latter half.

EandCDad
11-01-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

And ABC......(sigh) Drew Carey is good, but what else have they got? But those things aside, I have seen a slow shift toward better things.

Drew Carey might be good, but no one is watching it (actually, I think that show jumped the shark in its second season). It finished 84th in the ratings last week. The one show that is both good and popular is NYPD Blue which finished 20th. The network does need help as shows that might be critical hits (Alias) are not pulling in very good numbers. The new comedies (8 Simple Rules, According to Jim, George Lopez) seem to be doing ok.

As far as us "paying through the nose" for quality. Well.....yes and no. I mean, I want quality but they could easily price themselves out of my market if they raise prices anymore (talking mostly about the theme parks). I don't have tons of disposable income to just throw at Disney stuff. I'm not saying I want cheap and crappy, I'm saying that I'd rather go and get what I get rather than have them make everything super-wonderful and then raise the price on it to the point that I can't go.

slaakker
11-01-2002, 03:18 PM
I'd rather go and get what I get rather than have them make everything super-wonderful and then raise the price on it to the point that I can't go.

I'm with you on that one buddy! Much more and we won't be able to afford going as a family. Just tickets alone for our next trip is well over 500.00.

:crying:

peasy
11-01-2002, 07:39 PM
I go to Disneyland about once a year on average and we just made our trip in October. My husband and I go into withdrawels if we wait too long before we go back. I noticed a few things on this particular trip. We spotted 2 HUGE cockroaches in DLR. We spotted either a rat or a mouse, it was moving too fast to tell in DCA. We have never seen either on our past trips. I also noticed that just buying your kids a meal has skyrocketed to at least $8.00 per child. Sodas have soared to about $3.00 on average. We were there on Sunday and expected attractions and shows to be open as it was a weekend, we were told however that many were closed because it wasn't Saturday. We did eat at Goofy's kitchen and everything was very clean and tasted good and NO ONE got sick. We were utterly impressed with the Disneyland hotel and pool, though you can tell they are old buildings and circulation can be a bit of a problem. I still loved Paradise Pier as much as I always have. I still love DL I just hope that they can afford to open some more of the attractions, shows and restaurants more regularly. Get back to cleaning and keeping the place up like they used to. I also hope that they recognize that the average family can't blow $1,000 for food for 3 or 4 days at the park. I'm crossing my fingers though!

gn2dlnd
11-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by PXSgeek
...Eisner took WDW from 2 "so so" parks to a MEGA RESORT, he did this in what is called a "disney decade." He fixed Epcot, built both MGM and AK and who knows how many hotels. Puhleaze! I had never heard that The Magic Kingdom and Epcot were "so-so" parks. Eisner's arrogance continues to amaze me. [/QUOTE]Some people also say in the past 10 years DLR has been neglected, my opinion is the DLR is getting a "Disney Decade" as well, look at all the things we've gotten since 2000:[/QUOTE]

gn2dlnd
11-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by PXSgeek

Fastpass (hate it)
Believe (oh, did he design that?)
DCA (NOW we're talkin' the Eisner Decade)
Downtown Disney (an outdoor mall! Oooh.)
2 new hotels (yeah, they're hotels. Big whoop.)
Lincoln Update (happy it got an update, BUT...)
45 Ann. (I'm pretty sure DL was going to turn 45 with or without Uncle Mikey, BTW, was that the one with cake?)
FFF. :confused:
HMH (again, did he design that?)
And recently a IASW repaint. (nice, but hardly earth shattering)
Coming Soon the 50th ann. with (hopefully) all sorts of fun. I doubt it, considering the short shrift we got for Walt's 100th. I wouldn't be surprised if they celebrated "50 Years of Magic" at WDW instead.

gn2dlnd
11-01-2002, 11:05 PM
My list would mention Tomorrowland, Carnation Plaza Gardens, and Light Magic. I would ask why in the world would they gut the Country Bear Playhouse for Pooh, instead of putting the new attraction in the Motorboat Cruise, and remind you how proud Eisner was of his Parking Structure.

MonorailMan
11-02-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by gn2dlnd
and remind you how proud Eisner was of his Parking Structure.
Actually, I like a structure over a huge lot. The structure holds more cars, and (usually) makes the tram walk shorter. :)

Morrigoon
11-02-2002, 12:47 PM
MM: in the days of the old parking lot, the trams came near each section of lot to pick you up. Now, if you're in the far back corner of the structure, there is NO chance that a tram will swing by your side to pick you up.

Germboy
11-02-2002, 05:17 PM
Where were you guys when I posted these complaints in another thread and got nailed to a cross? I could have used your support!! Yes--it's tough to be a martyr, EandCDad ;)

As I'm still licking my wounds, I will limit my opinions until I get my sword repolished...

BUT--I agree with the issue of bugs. I used to be able to lay on the ground at DL and it was Mr. Clean clean. Now, ants seem to be a big problem..

Regarding the parking structure: It's like going into an ugly cement crypt. Welcome to Disneyland! And it's true that if you are parked on the other side of the floor from the escalators, take your walking shoes. Hopefully, when you get to the escalators, at least one of them will be going down (AND RUNNING). If not, you'll need your oxygen tanks to handle the fumes coming from the open-air trams when you get on them.

Maybe things are starting to improve. I hope so. As it is now, Disney is rolling in his grave.

Three things that I would implement IMMEDIATELY at the park (if I were president :) ) would be an announcer to replace Jack Wagner, a re-emphasis on patriotism in the park, and a re-emphasis on AA.

Mr. Wagner's voice helped create magic at the park and it is not the same without him. His talent for advising Disney on musical selections for inside the park is sorely missed. (I heard that he discovered the MSEP theme song and encouraged its use. He was influential in getting the music loop played on Main Street. I believe the Lawrence Welk christmas music played on Main Street was also his baby, to name a few.) His voice is gradually being replaced everywhere. Aside from just a few ride announcements, the only places I know of where it is played regularly are the flag ceremony and the Fantasy Waters Show at the hotel.

Patriotism has all but vanished at the park in the name of being PC, and in my opinion, it's wrong. Especially in this day and age. Where is the patriotic finale at the end of the fireworks? I remember when I was little, the 4th of July fireworks used to make my dad cry--a LONNNG show whose theme music consisted of songs of each segment of the armed forces (and yes, Jack Wagner announced it). Now the 4th of July fireworks are a 4-minute finale to the Believe show. Huh? Don't get me wrong, their rendition of God Bless America is heart-wrenching, but when SWARMS of people come from all over to see a 4th of July fireworks show, they want some meat on its bones.

And the continued dismantling of high-quality AA in the park has got to stop. That's what helped separate DL from most other theme parks.