PDA

View Full Version : What Does Disneyland Resort Lack?

DisneyFreak2000
06-29-2001, 09:24 PM
All of us have seen the new expanded resort and are very clear on what the parks are missing. Personally, I believe Disneyland needs only minor tweeking to fix rides, appearance, entertainment, etc. Downtown Disney is wonderful, that is the one true thing that now lives up to Disney reputation. As for (sigh) Disney's California Adventure, we all now what that needs.

Disneyland:
Other then the lack of upgrade and maintanence, it isn't that bad off. Some attractions can be remodeled and rebuilt, but entertainment is what prevents it from being a truly great park once again. I say that they take out the retired Parade of the Stars in a year (or so), and replace it with a new day parade. To make things cheap, I don't understand why they don't attempt to upgrade an older parade from another park. I know, again, we'll be getting something old and second-rate but at least it's something new to view. Might I suggest something from WDW, such as the Mickey Mania Parade or an updated Magical Moments? (to include more recent films). When they bring back the MSEP (new floats et all) we will finally have quality parades again. I like Annimazement, but its beginning to lack. Good thing they're replacing it in February 2002. Fantasmic and Believe.... should remain just the way they are.

Disney's California Adventure:
Where should I start? Hollywood Pictures Backlot, as long as they re-do the seemingly unpopulat Superstar Limo to be "Goofy Superstars" or whatever, and replace the piece show in Hyperion, should be fine. (Can't wait 'till Tower of Terror in 2004). In the Golden State, they need more modifications. In Grizzly Peak Recreation Area (what is up with DCA and the long names for everything?) they should build a new building that blends with the Grand Californian hotel and palce the Country Bears in their. This will prevent us from losing a "classic" attraction and give DCA something to call its own. As for the farm, one person had a great idea (if you read the DIG mail update). I don't recall the whole thing, but it was something about Mickey's Barnyard which is similar to the Nickelodeon Blast Zone in USH. Someone else also suggested they rename Pacific Wharf, Fisherman's Whaf. This will allow the Bay and Wharf Area to blend allowing a larger San Francisco district to extend into the parking lot. Now for (shiver shiver) Paradise Pier. It is by far the most attractive land viewed from across the bay, but when upclose you can tell something is missing. Detail and rides. They should replace the Golden Zephyr with something that can operate in wind. I actually like the idea of a lighthouse themed building sporting the the Paradise Pier logo which features a spiral slide. Who knows, at least a kid can go on it. The other problems (Jumpin' Jellyfish, Mulholland Madness and Orange Stinger) should also be replaced. I try to keep in mind that Eisner tried to make cheap portable rides on this side of the park (in case of the expansion into the Paradise Hotel area), but that's just pathetic. I also don't know why they didn't make the Ursala spinner and Little Mermaid dark ride by the carousel, perhaps Eisner was afraid of a good idea. For nightime entertainment, they shouldn't make a lagoon show with floats. I think a show like IllumiNations at Epcot themed for California will be fine. Then, after MSEP returns to DL, they can bring in a parade like SpectroMagic. In fact, it should be an exact replica of SpectroMagic, that way it can draw crowds and be a great parade to watch.

Again, who knows. If only they would let the public fix the parks.

Morrigoon
06-29-2001, 10:21 PM
(Sigh) But they never ask us...

Alonzo_Hawk
06-30-2001, 04:05 PM
Walt's Vision !

Napsto
07-01-2001, 09:00 PM
it'll all work out in the end.

wonderful
07-01-2001, 10:07 PM
Or, I won't say lacks (cause we really have more than all the other Magic Kingdoms) but I might tweek the following:
Tomorrowland: Innoventions becomes something cool, an actual sit down and move RIDE; thanks for the Buzz show, which more than suffices for a dark ride rip off from Florida... and how bout doing something, ANYTHING, with the lagoon... I'd put an Atlantis walk through somewhere (similar in quality to Tarzan's tree) but I wouldn't theme the subs after it...
Fantasyland: just refinish the carrousel and add fastpass to the mountain! Oh, definately redo the Sleeping Beauty walk through, it's horrible... not even Walt liked it!
Critter Country: keep Splash and expand New Orleans theme... much more possibility than the limiting Critters
New Orleans: there's no such thing as too much of a good theme =)
ToonTown: repaint and put in some more attractions... a fun walk through like the old Knott's Berry Farm bear thing would be real cool in toon town... place to put some audio animitrons of Disney classic characters like Huey, Duey, Claribel et al.
Adventureland: redo our Tikki room with new birds... maybe throw in an animitronic Hawaiian girl from a new movie..
Um, that's it...
DCA: in honor of Walt, I would definately make the Fortune Cookie area more covered and add a Confuscious animitron with maybe a panda bear or carribou to talk to you while you eat...
I think the artisan area (the San Fran buildings) will be real nice once residents jump in (at least a candy shop and maybe some portrait folks a la New Orleans, even an all year long Christmas boutique--CA themed stuff of course-- would be great in those little shops)
CHANGE THE ENTRANCE AREA MUSIC... it's absolutely maddening and way too loud... why don't we have any of those groovie surf type songs from Disney soundtracks like "Monkey's Uncle", The Ugly Bug Ball and Let's Get Together... not to mention the hip Ducktales and Tale Spin theme songs and Hakuna Mattata has CA attitude all over it!
I think the Muppets need a dark ride to compliment them (and I think the Limo building would be a great place for them... wasn't the first Muppet Movie all about coming to Hollywood????)
Um, I'd really like to see the Golden State park (where the occassional juggler may be found) used to host guest orchestras to play some soft swing by moonlight for the guests...
That's all I can think of for now =)

TheMur
07-02-2001, 02:05 PM
So many things to consider........

Maybe if it was sold to the Oriental Land Company we would get parks that would make Walt proud and that we all want - Just a thought.

Mandrake Linux
07-02-2001, 02:10 PM
What it lacks is more rides. The problem is wherever you go there is a damn store everywhere! Its more like today's television: Lame shows, programs, boring game shows, but no movies!

Napsto
07-02-2001, 02:15 PM
the resort needs innovation to return.

DisneyFreak2000
07-03-2001, 10:09 PM
What Disneyland Resort lacks is a good head of the entertainment department. (Fire Anne!) I admire her for at least trying, but still why doens't she use her frickin' brains when making shows. I say that they throw in a temporary stage across the way from GRR and put on a rubber-head show about the country bears. At least 'till they come to their senses to install the AA show again.

Napsto
07-03-2001, 10:29 PM
anne hamburg should flip burgers.

just playing.

DisneyFreak2000
07-10-2001, 08:51 PM
I wonder why they hired her in the first plafce. What ever happened to Mike Davis. Wasn't he the mind behind the brilliant shows like Hunchback and Pocahontas???

Lacrosse Boy
07-11-2001, 01:24 PM
Instead of Anne, bring in Cathy Young from New York. She is a great jazz dancer, and pretty famous (she also used to teach at Metro Dance Center, nearby where I live in the Shoreview Mall) It's neat that someone so famous taught my sister. Mind you, I don't dance. It is just cool to watch. Lacrosse, Football, but you'd NEVER catch me dancing.

TinkR
07-11-2001, 09:51 PM
I say that they take out the retired Parade of the Stars in a year (or so), and replace it with a new day parade.

The first two times I went to Disneyland (gulp) in the early 70's, the thing I loved best about the day parade was that ALL of the characters paraded (they walked in rows upon rows) down main street. It was the one place where you could see all of your favorites.

My kids just love the end of Fantasmic when the ship sails by and all the characters are on it. Sometimes it isn't easy for the youngsters, though, to stay awake for Fantasmic. Then there are those nights that Fantasmic doesn't show. A day parade where all the characters were present would be very cool.

Just a thought.

TinkR

Gemini Cricket
07-11-2001, 11:04 PM
Sadly, Disneyland lacks Walt.