PDA

View Full Version : If a tree falls in New Orleans Square...

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I've just gotten an initial report that a tree has fallen in New Orleans Square, and the immediate area is blocked off. No word on injuries, and I'm waiting for a call from a reader who's in the park and got some photos.

AVP

AVP
06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Update:

No injuries. It looks like it was a tree behind the main Fantasmic control booth. It didn't actually fall, but the reader on the scene says that about 1/3 of the branches broke / fell off the tree and scattered across the railings and walkways. People in the immediate area said they heard what sounded like fireworks going off, followed by a few small branches falling and then larger limbs fell. In the "stupid guest tricks" category, more people ran towards the scene than ran away. (Of course, had I been there I would probably headed in that direction too, so who am I to talk.)

Lots of guest control CMs are in the area asking people to move along, not to stand in one place, and discouraging photos.

AVP

adriennek
06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
(I thought that the contingency plan was for Frontierland...)

Adrienne

Darkbeer
06-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Here is the OC Register report with a photo...

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/26/tree-branch-falls-near-people-at-disneyland/

AVP
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Here is the OC Register report with a photo...

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/26/tree-branch-falls-near-people-at-disneyland/

Woot - we beat them by 30 minutes!

(Thanks to MP reader Alan Joyce for the scoop)

AVP

tinker3
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM
What a Flashback!

I was at DLR in May of 2001 when a tree fell in Frontierland. I remember it because I had just finished nursing my baby at the baby center and came out seeing helicopters above and was a bit panicked because my hubby had taken my older son over to Frontierland. They were fine.

I actually scrapbooked the small article :geek:. It mentioned that the tree had been there since 1955 and spokesman Ray Gomez said "officials would be inspecting all of the parks older tree's". 27 guests and 2 CM's suffered minor injuries.

Glad nobody was hurt this time!

Flour Girl
06-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Just an FYI: The company is sugar coating the details. There WAS an injury - and by that I don't mean a simple scrape or bruise - but nothing life threatening. I was there assisting the situation (I'm a CM) but I dare not say who or how just in case someone of consequence reads this thread.

cstephens
06-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Just an FYI: The company is sugar coating the details. There WAS an injury - and by that I don't mean a simple scrape or bruise - but nothing life threatening. I was there assisting the situation (I'm a CM) but I dare not say who or how just in case someone of consequence reads this thread.

You mean because you would probably be violating the terms of your employment by disclosing information deemed confidential by your employer?

AVP
06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Two photos from the scene, taken by MousePlanet reader Alan Joyce:

One (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/78163-1/NOSTree1-062608-AlanJoyce.jpg)

Two (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/78166-1/NOSTree2-062608-AlanJoyce.jpg)

He wrote:

By the time I left the park, they had chainsaws out and were cutting
the tree into smaller pieces for removal. They were fairly touchy
about spectators and photo-taking throughout the whole process,
employing the fleet of Fantasmic ushers to surround the cordoned-off
areas and keep people moving.

adriennek
06-27-2008, 08:40 AM
That iphone takes really good pics, Alan! ;) Thanks for sharing them!

Adrienne

Serendipity
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I have some pictures of the tree that fell.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/Disneystuff_2008/Disneytree.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/Disneystuff_2008/Tree.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/Disneystuff_2008/Disneytreeguest.jpg

I cropped the last image to show more of what was going on.If you look on the left hand side you'll see a lady in sunglasses standing behind a tree. I saw her and a small child getting checked for injuries by the lady in the blue shirt. As well the lady in the pink shirt (towards the middle) was giving a statement to security.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/Disneystuff_2008/Hurtguest.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/Disneystuff_2008/disneytreecracked.jpg

alanjoyce
06-27-2008, 09:39 AM
That iphone takes really good pics, Alan! ;) Thanks for sharing them!

Adrienne

Oh no, haha. Those are with my Canon 40D and EF 28-135 IS USM lens. As luck would have it, I was in the park taking photos of Hidden Mickeys today :).

adriennek
06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh no, haha. Those are with my Canon 40D and EF 28-135 IS USM lens. As luck would have it, I was in the park taking photos of Hidden Mickeys today :).

Canon? Not Nikon? :sigh: Ok, Alan. That's ok, you have the other part right. ;)

Adrienne

adriennek
06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I cropped the last image to show more of what was going on.If you look on the left hand side you'll see a lady in sunglasses standing behind a tree. I saw her and a small child getting checked for injuries by the lady in the blue shirt. As well the lady in the pink shirt (towards the middle) was giving a statement to security.

Thanks for the cropped version, Serendipity. On the zoomed picture I see for sure at least 3 security CMs - there's possibly 5-6 total if some of them have their hats off.

Adrienne

ladodgerjon
06-27-2008, 12:01 PM
The remaining upper part of the tree appears to now be "unbalanced."

Anyone know if they removed the entire tree after the loss of the branch?

Also: NOT surprised they are white-washing any injuries to the press. Typical.

Did any physical amage occur to railings... restaurant.. walkways?

Flour Girl
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone know if they removed the entire tree after the loss of the branch?

Did any physical amage occur to railings... restaurant.. walkways?

1. yes

2. nope!

RocketTom
06-28-2008, 10:28 AM
The local T.V. station (KABC - owned by Disney) had one of their helo's out in front covering the picketing going on concerning the hotel workers. About 5 minutes later, they showed the "downed tree", then corrected to be a portion of the tree. Then no coverage whatsoever.

Funny how they were suddenly right there, then just as suddenly the story was dropped.

twindaddy
06-29-2008, 04:55 AM
You mean because you would probably be violating the terms of your employment by disclosing information deemed confidential by your employer?

With all due respect, get over yourself. I dont mean to flame, but I could not let a comment like that stand unchallenged.

If we didnt have CM's providing us with some insider info, half this board would have to be shut down.

Leap for Joy
06-29-2008, 10:44 AM
They had the area cleared just in time for me to stand at the railing for the 9:00 Fantasmic! I wondered what had happened. They were still sweeping and clearing debris with the area roped off until right before the show started.

Leap for Joy
06-29-2008, 10:48 AM
If we didnt have CM's providing us with some insider info, half this board would have to be shut down.

I disagree. I think most MP members are respectful of their friends who work at the parks and therefore choose not to jeopardize their jobs. I have a friend who works at Disneyland and if she ever slips and says just a little too much, I keep it to myself. Sometimes I wish she would slip more often, but that's another topic! :)

yohomama212
06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
I dunno, I was in line for Nemo once and there was a CM and a guest behind us in line. She was a "suit" type CM of some level and kept taking calls starting with "I'm onstage and really can't talk but what do you need?" And when she wasn't on the phone she was talking to her friend saying "Don't go repeating this" or "I really shouldn't be telling you" and such like that. Only thing is I never got any juicy info, it was all stuff I had read here a week or more earlier. Or basic info that I didn't think was all that "top secret" (are the six kinds of handicap accessibility for the attractions really that confidential?).

My sis was working for DL last summer, told me about the new monorail... a couple weeks later it was here. Cat's outta the bag. I'm sure a lot of the info is given by CMs to friends but I think the CMs know pretty well who they are talking to when they give out that info and if it were so sensitive it shouldn't end up here, it wouldn't.

Just my exhausted and incoherent $0.02.

Elizabeth

ChurroGirl
06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
My peep into what CM's arent supposed to say is that: I GOT GOOFY TO TALK TO ME IN 06'!! WHAY rule breaker!!

Donald Duck Fan68
06-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I got Donald to quack in '05! Made my day.

TerryTiger
06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know the species of tree? Hard to tell from the pics but looks like it could've been one of the Spanish Cork Oak trees (the kind that fell in Frontierland a few years ago). If so, does that doom the remaining old Cork Oaks around the Rivers of America? That would be sad to see all the large old trees removed...

Autopia Guy
06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
With all due respect, get over yourself. I dont mean to flame, but I could not let a comment like that stand unchallenged.

Uhhh, actually, said person was right to call out that CM for leaking info like that. There is a difference between leaking confidential information and just letting the public in on a little secret or two. Heck, said CM even knew that they were saying something that they should not and even SAID SO in their post.

Im open that Im a CM. Ill let you in on little secrets and hints. Heck, I work with tickets, so I can answer almost any question regarding tickets and such and will even give you hints as to what to do to your advantage. But I will NEVER tell of anything that may be deemed confidential by my employer.

And, ya know, I actually found out about some stuff on MP BEFORE work told me. So they already have good info on here.