PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper sandwiches!

Saki
06-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Just to let you know:
The Montecristo sandwiches that the Blue Bayou sells for 21.50 are the same sandwiches that 7-eleven(brown bag) sells for 4.50 only without the batter and they are from the same company!
--Saki

Andrew
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
And presumably cold? Isn't the batter and deep-frying kind of the point of a Monte Cristo?

Rufus T Firefly
06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
And presumably cold? Isn't the batter and deep-frying kind of the point of a Monte Cristo?

Details, details :)

adriennek
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
What's the point of a monte cristo without the batter? Wouldn't that just be... a ham and turkey sandwich?

That's like fish and chips without the batter - then it's just... fish and french fries on the side.

Adrienne

EeyoreGirl
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't know about you, but I'd rather eat a sandwich at BB instead of 7-11.

HisKid
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
My husband has been expressly and explicitly forbidden from eating at convenience stores and gas stations ever since the "2 am Arco bratwurst incident". :|:|:|

I'm still recovering from that one. <sits on floor, in the corner behind a plant, rocking and sucking thumb>

cstephens
06-26-2008, 01:07 AM
What's the point of a monte cristo without the batter? Wouldn't that just be... a ham and turkey sandwich?

On a recent episode of "Hell's Kitchen", one of the chefs purported to make a monte cristo - but instead of deep frying with batter, he mostly dipped and pan-fried, almost like a sort of french toast version. Now, that version actually sounded like it might be something I'd try, but I know it's not a monte cristo, which doesn't interest me at all.

stan4d_steph
06-26-2008, 01:15 AM
Actually, in some places the bread is not deep-fried, but cooked in a skillet, so it is more like a French toast bread.

LuvPluto
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Don't forget the berry puree.... oh yummy!:p

Malcon10t
06-26-2008, 06:47 AM
My local store also sells a ham and turkey sandwich, but it tastes NOTHING like a Monte Cristo.

cstephens
06-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Actually, in some places the bread is not deep-fried, but cooked in a skillet, so it is more like a French toast bread.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know that. As I said, the monte cristo is not my thing, but I'd always heard about it being deep fried with batter.

Another Dimension
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
$21.50 for a deep fryed ham & cheese, French Toast-style sandwich.

Almost 1/3rd the price of admission for a full 16 hour day at Disneyland - before the appetizer, bev, dessert and tip.

:~D

cstephens
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
$21.50 for a deep fryed ham & cheese, French Toast-style sandwich.

Almost 1/3rd the price of admission for a full 16 hour day at Disneyland - before the appetizer, bev, dessert and tip.

:~D

Not worth it to me, but if it's worth it to someone else, and they're willing to spend it, more power to them.

Malcon10t
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Not worth it to me, but if it's worth it to someone else, and they're willing to spend it, more power to them.In all our trips to Disneyland, we had never had a Monte Cristo until the 50th Celebration, and we went to the "Tastes of the Resorts" (I think thats what it was called) and that was one of the "Tastes". Now, yes it is worth it to us. But, we do usually split as 1 is too large for one person.

Katlovett
06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
<respectfully snipped>But, we do usually split as 1 is too large for one person.
It depends how large that one person is. I am quite large and I can eat one (that is probably how I got this large LOL.)

Katprint

cstephens
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
In all our trips to Disneyland, we had never had a Monte Cristo until the 50th Celebration, and we went to the "Tastes of the Resorts" (I think thats what it was called) and that was one of the "Tastes". Now, yes it is worth it to us.

Funny thing is, even though the monte cristo was "free" that night - it was the only thing I didn't try. Didn't care. Too much other good stuff to eat.

MrsPooh
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
My husband has been expressly and explicitly forbidden from eating at convenience stores and gas stations ever since the "2 am Arco bratwurst incident". :|:|:|

I'm still recovering from that one. <sits on floor, in the corner behind a plant, rocking and sucking thumb>

OMG! I'm laughing at your description, and my imagination is going full blast! :D

The hubster eats at those convenience stores/gas stations too. Why do I get the feeling that one night I'll have a 2 am Arco cheap cheeseburger/hot dog incident?? :eek:

bigrockstar
06-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Or... make your own!

Just find a good batter recipe online, and be prepared with a lot of oil or a deep-fryer. 350-375 degrees should work. Stuff it with whatever you fancy. I used Tillamook black-label reserve white cheddar, coppacola ham and Cajon-spiced turkey breast. I nuked them briefly in the microwave so the cheese acted like glue to keep it all together. Dip it, fry it and serve it with your favorite jam. Mmmmmmm...

Also tried PB&J... so good we had them for breakfast. Dusted lightly with powdered sugar. What a treat!

Either way, it is still cheaper than the $4.50 you spend on that lame sandwich from 7-11, but still missing the BB vibe.

HisKid
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Why do I get the feeling that one night I'll have a 2 am Arco cheap cheeseburger/hot dog incident?? :eek:

<depositing a dollar in MrsPooh's therapy jar>

Jon
06-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Or... make your own!

Just find a good batter recipe online, and be prepared with a lot of oil or a deep-fryer. 350-375 degrees should work. Stuff it with whatever you fancy. I used Tillamook black-label reserve white cheddar, coppacola ham and Cajon-spiced turkey breast. I nuked them briefly in the microwave so the cheese acted like glue to keep it all together.

I dunno, that seems like an awful lot of stuff to carry around Disneyland. I don't think I'd want to ride Space Mountain with a deep-fryer and a microwave on my lap. Although I suppose you could ask a CM to keep an eye on them for you while you ride...

;)

hlbtimes2
06-27-2008, 09:22 AM
and they are from the same company!
--Saki

Are you saying that the cooks at Disney dont put the meat and cheese between the bread, it comes already made? :confused:

adriennek
06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Are you saying that the cooks at Disney dont put the meat and cheese between the bread, it comes already made? :confused:

We already knew that though... You didn't know that? Sorry, that sounds snarky. I don't mean it to. There's a lot of food that comes to the resort made already. There's a cookie company that comes and delivers baked goods to various restaurants around the park. AVP used to know the bakery that supplied the chocolate dipped macaroons to Club 33.

Adrienne

hlbtimes2
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
No, I didnt know. I knew some things, like baked goods came premade. However, it seems like the simple task of putting meat and cheese between bread is something that could be handled in the park, to ensure a fresh product. I just can't see a logical reason to farm out the job of sandwich making.

Foodie
06-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Trust me, I used to make the sandwiches for Monte Cristos at the restaurant I used to work at (Not in Disneyland). About 50 at a time. They took over an hour to make and a huge table to lay everything out on. I'd have to lay out three pieces of bread for each sandwich on the plastic-wrapped table top, whip the pounds of butter, slice the meats and cheeses, butter the bread with a spatula, lay out the meats and cheeses on the buttered bread, and then start stacking. Then I'd have to butter the tops of the finished sandwiches too and then pack them properly for storage. I'd have to do this about every other week and it was awful, just awful. It was sooo labor-intensive. It is not a simple sandwich to make and outsourcing it is a very very smart idea on their part.

-Foodie