PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Dapper Dans appearing at Alameda County Fair

ificandream
06-24-2008, 08:09 PM
For any like me who misses the version of the Dapper Dans who got unceremoniously dumped by Disneyland a couple of years ago, three former members (Tim Reeder, Phil Gold and Jim Campbell) are performing at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton every day through July 6 with the group the Perfect Gentlemen. (In addition, Dan Jordan, who is also with them, was the voice of Homer Simpson in the song "Baby's On Board" that the Dapper Dans sang on the TV series.) We're going up there Thursday night and are very excited about seeing them. They're performing on the Heritage Stage each night.

cstephens
06-24-2008, 11:15 PM
That's cool. I would so go see them if I was local.

We were at the park on New Year's Eve, December 31, 2005 and got this good picture of them on the porch (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DL123105/ny2006-003.jpg). But this one is my favorite picture (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DL123105/ny2006-004.jpg) - they were as fascinated with the frowny-face cookie as I was! It was actually their idea for us to take the picture of them posing that way.

oregontraveler
06-25-2008, 03:39 AM
As far as I know, Jim Campbell (bass) still sings with the Dans Tuesdays only.
And Bill Lewis is a member of the Bootstrappers. Too bad I'm not a local either, or I would be there too.

LuvPluto
06-25-2008, 05:56 AM
We live close... maybe we'll check it out! Thanks for the info!

saucydiva
06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
I've seen The Perfect Gentlemen open for The Bobs at McCabe's Guitar Shop, and they are fantastic. It was kind of trippy to hear them sing stuff that was definitely not Disney-approved! They are great entertainers. Wish I could go.

MrsPooh
06-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Oh man, I'd go if I lived in the area.

I miss the old Dans.

MrPooh says, when he listens to the new Dans, that the harmonies are off a bit. Nothing as tight as the old Dans were.

hapyg0luky
06-25-2008, 05:18 PM
DH and I were thinking about going this week. Now we definitely have to go!!!! Thanks for the info!!! :D

danyoung
06-26-2008, 09:22 AM
In addition, Dan Jordan, who is also with them, was the voice of Homer Simpson in the song "Baby's On Board" that the Dapper Dans sang on the TV series.

Methinks someone is pulling your leg. I don't know any of the Dans, current or former. But I do know my Simpsons. It is clearly Dan Castelanetta as Homer singing in the quartet. And it's also clearly Dan Castelanetta as Seymour Skinner singing the bass lines in the quartet. I wouldn't be surprised if the other two memebers of the quartet, Barney and Apu, were performed by their regular voice, Hank Azaria.

Unless there's some other performance you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it's really the regular actors behind Simpsons characters doing their own singing for the Baby On Board episode.

oregontraveler
06-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Methinks someone is pulling your leg. I don't know any of the Dans, current or former. But I do know my Simpsons. It is clearly Dan Castelanetta as Homer singing in the quartet. And it's also clearly Dan Castelanetta as Seymour Skinner singing the bass lines in the quartet. I wouldn't be surprised if the other two memebers of the quartet, Barney and Apu, were performed by their regular voice, Hank Azaria.

Unless there's some other performance you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it's really the regular actors behind Simpsons characters doing their own singing for the Baby On Board episode.

Hey Dan, you may know The Simpsons, but I know my Dapper Dans. And it
was Shelby Grimm (Chief Wiggum, Barney) Dan Jordan (Homer) Mike Economou (Apu) and James Campbell (Seymour) as the Barbershop quartet.
I just checked IMDB, but I know it's on the CD credits too.

danyoung
06-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Well, I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, although all the evidence seems to be on your side! I saw the IMDB entry, and I just don't quite believe it. But as I typed that I realized that I had the song on my mp3 player, so I just listened very closely with headphones on. And I'm not officially throwing in the towel - you got this one right! Although the lead singer does do a pretty good impersonation of Homer's voice characteristics, doesn't he?

Dangit, I HATE learning new things!!! . . .

oregontraveler
06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
If you happen to have the Shave & A Haircut CD or off iTunes, you should be
able compare the 2, although Shelby (lead) is the only one on both CD
and Simpsons episode. As a fellow barbershopper, I can tell you 4 part harmony is tough. And trying to put Dan C. and Hank together and put a song like that with little practice doesn't make sense. And because
of the animation process, vocals are recorded a long time before final airdate.
So, it makes pefect sense to bring in some ringers for a one-shot gig.

Are you ready to throw the towel in yet :fez:

MrsPooh
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Great you two, now I have to go check out that song! :p

;)

danyoung
06-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Note that I should have said I AM throwing in the towel. Defeat. Staggering, crippling, overwhelming defeat (sigh . . .).

;)

oregontraveler
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Relax it could have been worse, we could have been arguing about something really important. Although there are many passionate padders on here.

I might add a reminder that Shelby, Bill, Jim and Bob appear on The Haunted Mansion CD (the Eddie Murphy version) singing Grim Grinning Ghosts and their
ending tag song. (That's for you Mrs. Pooh, another song to check out) :)

Alex S.
06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
We'll be at the fair on Saturday. But I'm pretty indifferent to music so unless the people I'm with want to I won't be going out of my way.

Alex S.
06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
We did end up watching their show, it was goofy but amusing.

Best part though was when they did a rap song and watching the looks of horror from the teenagers walking by at this 40-something white guys doing it.

Andrew
06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
We liked the show quite a bit. Two low-quality cameraphone shots:
http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/78167-1/20080628+001.jpg
http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/78169-1/20080628+002.jpg