PDA

View Full Version : Innoventions House: Shoulda Been Sponsored By The Aaron Brothers 1c Frame Sale!

ladodgerjon
06-24-2008, 05:11 PM
In a word, here's my review of the new Innoventions House of Tomorrow:

Bleccch!

What a disappointment.

I wrote back in February that I felt the "house" should have been a freestanding structure-- like its 1960's precursor. Constructing a "house" inside another structure is simply not magical... or fun. With it's movie-set fake walls, there's no real way for an individual to allow their imagination to believe they are in a real 'house of the future' (at least not in the way you could with the park's original version).

Today's HOTF feels more like you're on the floor of some cut-rate house decoration convention.

Where's tomorrow's microwave oven or videophones??!!?? Sadly, there is VERY LITTLE in the way of blue-skying tomorrow's techno-advancements. Most of what is seen are tiny increments of existing hardware (as in: you'll see this in stores by Christmastime).

And what about those picture frames??!!??

Honestly-- is this the best piece of technology the Imagineers could muster? It must be, as the joint is OVERFLOWING with digital picture frames!

How close to the bottom of the technology barrel are you scraping when you decide to feature gadgets that can be bought for $19.99 at your local Rite Aid??!!?? Aaron Brothers Art Mart missed a great opportunity to sponsor this, ahem, attraction.

Day One, and it's already the 'House of 2001.'

Aside from the smart refrigerator (and the recipe-on-the-kitchen-countertop), there 'aint much future packed into this joint's fake walls.

The HOTF is a GREAT idea-- it just needs more time on the drawing boards.

avalosn
06-25-2008, 08:15 AM
My boyfriend is an IT Systems Analyst and he made similar comments...He was quite disappointed....:crying:

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
the joint is OVERFLOWING with digital picture frames!

How close to the bottom of the technology barrel are you scraping when you decide to feature gadgets that can be bought for $19.99 at your local Rite Aid??!!?? Aaron Brothers Art Mart missed a great opportunity to sponsor this, ahem, attraction.

:D:D:DThe title of this thread made me laugh out loud. The "House of Tomorrow" was not open yesterday, but you could look down into some of the rooms from Innoventions above. I actually commented on how many digital picture frames I saw down there! Hahahahaha!:)

I spoke to the CM and he said they were having quite a bit of computer malfunction, computers not "talking" to each other, etc. I've seen some of the YouTube videos and I would still like to see it, but I agree that it sounds much more like a sponsored promotion of existing technology than anything "forward thinking".:(

Perhaps they should call it the "House of the day after Tomorrow":p

Chris Lang
06-25-2008, 12:07 PM
:D:D:DThe title of this thread made me laugh out loud. The "House of Tomorrow" was not open yesterday, but you could look down into some of the rooms from Innoventions above. I actually commented on how many digital picture frames I saw down there! Hahahahaha!:)

I spoke to the CM and he said they were having quite a bit of computer malfunction, computers not "talking" to each other, etc. I've seen some of the YouTube videos and I would still like to see it, but I agree that it sounds much more like a sponsored promotion of existing technology than anything "forward thinking".:(

Perhaps they should call it the "House of the day after Tomorrow":p

Actually one of the thing they stressed in the Press presentations was that it was technology that actually existed today and people could concieveably have this technology installed in their home if they had that kind of cash.

Remember the name is "Innoventions Dream Home" and the "House of the Future" is really downplayed in favor of showcasing existing technology.

When I went thru it a couple of weeks ago there were areas curtained off, but from what I saw there wasn't much of interest. Some nice design work on the interiors, the fixtures, etc, but nothing I was terribly excited about and certainly no reason to return.

I, too wish they had actually constructed an actual house within, but with the central staircase in that building, it would have been a huge construction project that they could not have pulled off in the timeframe they had. It does feel like you're walking through displays instead of an actual "house", and the number of digital photo frames is a bit excessive, and the rest of the gadgets come across as "toys" instead of useable products for the future.

Show me a product that's innovative that makes my life easier NOW. Don't show me a kid's room with an enormous projection TV and a fake firing cannon. I can't think of anyone who needs a "magic mirror" that shows what you look like with fake faux-3D clothing. Show me a product that takes the laundry in the laundry basket, washes it, folds it, irons it, and puts it back in the closet and I'll start paying attention.

Show me dishwasher that UNLOADS itself.

Show me an automated bot that will trim my lawn.

Give me a small handheld remote that controls my lights, ceiling fans, A/C, etc, and that informs me when the meat in the fridge is getting close to its expiration date or that it's time to change the furnace filter.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Chris Lang, your point is very well taken. First the House of Tomorrow, followed by the Carousel of Progress showed how the advancements in technology could actually enhance your life, make chores easier, do things faster and better.

It does sound like they are leaning heavily on "gadgets" which don't really contribute to the above. I saw a YouTube video of the retracting kitchen faucet (which only worked sporadically...). I might say "neat", but that is just a gadget. If it monitored water flow and temperature, something which might help you conserve precious natural resources, then it would be an advancement.

So, the exhibit may attract those of us who are nostalgic for its predecessors, but it sounds like a one-time-only type of deal. On the "up" side, I am glad that they are attempting to "enhance" the Tomorrowland experience. It's pretty bleak over there and the whole "Land" and space should get some serious re-thinking...but that's another thread...

Jon
06-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Show me a product that takes the laundry in the laundry basket, washes it, folds it, irons it, and puts it back in the closet and I'll start paying attention.

Amen, brother. That's what I'm sayin'. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=1160958&postcount=15)

jetkitten
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Give me a small handheld remote that controls my lights, ceiling fans, A/C, etc, and that informs me when the meat in the fridge is getting close to its expiration date or that it's time to change the furnace filter.

Well the house of the future (60's style ) had the dishwasher/cupboard that popped out combo .

I've seen remote control lawn mowers. (bit pricy though
And my cousin's husband installs smart house tech so WHY isn't this great stuff there. I do say though if they get ASIMO to be a butler then I'd be impressed.

K & S
06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Chris Lang, your point is very well taken. First the House of Tomorrow, followed by the Carousel of Progress showed how the advancements in technology could actually enhance your life, make chores easier, do things faster and better.

It does sound like they are leaning heavily on "gadgets" which don't really contribute to the above. I saw a YouTube video of the retracting kitchen faucet (which only worked sporadically...). I might say "neat", but that is just a gadget. If it monitored water flow and temperature, something which might help you conserve precious natural resources, then it would be an advancement.

So, the exhibit may attract those of us who are nostalgic for its predecessors, but it sounds like a one-time-only type of deal. On the "up" side, I am glad that they are attempting to "enhance" the Tomorrowland experience. It's pretty bleak over there and the whole "Land" and space should get some serious re-thinking...but that's another thread...

I still think we should form a posse, go to Florida and steal the Carousel of Progress back!

:mad:

jetkitten
06-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I still think we should form a posse, go to Florida and steal the Carousel of Progress back!

I'm in!

disney_leonard
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Count me in!

Saki
06-26-2008, 08:23 PM
3 zones of the Dream Home are expected to be open this Monday. The other two zones later(August?/or sometime in the Fall).

Iceman
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I remember the first time I saw the "Ultimate Home Theater Experience" at Innoventions in EPCOT. It rocked! That huge Sony plasma HDTV was freakin' incredible!

Sadly, at least ten years later, the same display and tour are still being used. Bigger, better HDTVs are common in upper-middle-class homes. It's really disappointing that Disney (and their corporate sponsors) aren't using this golden opportunity to get the vast majority of us to lust after their products and how wonderful life would be with them...

leota's necklace
06-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I also wish they had taken a different direction with this. I know what is offered depends on their sponsors, but I would have thought it would make sense to showcase a "green" house, both with easy options that are available now (indoor composting, combination energy-saving washer-and-dryer units) and blue-sky stuff that would have enough of a WOW factor that it would get people interested in and excited about conservation.

I guess I feel that the "Tomorrowland" concept is still not firing on all cylinders. It's obvious that conservation and green technology is the wave of the very-near future, otherwise we won't have a future...but TL is still very much mired in its past, without the bold direction it once had. I'd love to see the old concepts (like Walt's fascination with transportation) applied successfully to new issues (petroleum dependence and urban planning) with interesting solutions.

tchatters
06-30-2008, 11:40 AM

Give me a small handheld remote that controls my lights, ceiling fans, A/C, etc,

iRobot has one that cleans your gutters. They are close to a lawnmower too. I also have in my house already that vacuums and mops!

As for your handheld remote, you need to look into x10 products. With one remote, all our lights are programed with on/of times, the fans, TV, AC, web security cams and more all run. I can also override the program with the remote to turn on a light anywhere in the house without getting up. Oh and I can activate the music in my son's room if he has a nightmare.

Sounds like MY house is the House of the Future!

*off to fold laundry... nothing does that yet*

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like MY house is the House of the Future

When's the AP preview for your place???:p

tchatters
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
When's the AP preview for your place???:p

Unless you're the new robot that puts away laundry... a long long time from now!

Tinkermommy
07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
We went down to see it tonight. I thought it was attractive to look at, but a bit disappointing after having to wait so long (three full rotations of the building) to get inside. A number of computer screens displayed messages that they weren't working (I forget the wording) and we couldn't get any of the iPod like things to even turn on. This surprised me, since a CM told us it had just opened Monday. Yikes!

The CM kept us waiting on the front porch for what seemed like forever, especially after we'd waited through the game show format commercial for ABC. We started to think the attraction was broken! The music in the outside ring was so loud that we couldn't even hear what she was saying on the porch.

The kids had a great time playing with the digital tables -- especially the ones with someone else's pictures in them -- and making the window coverings go up and down. Go figure.

The Tinkerbaby liked it and wants to go back when there aren't so many people inside so she can press all the buttons. Me -- I'm just glad there were chairs. :p

stan4d_steph
07-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Show me an automated bot that will trim my lawn. Okay (http://www.lawnbott.com/).

adriennek
07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
I have one word for my Innoventions "Dream House" experience today: TEDIOUS!!!!!

That is an hour of my life that I'll never get back again. Ok, maybe 30 to 45 minutes. First there was the tedious line. They were filling the little whatchacallit every 2-3 sections at a time. I don't know how many rotations we sat through but it felt like a lot. I know that there were at least 3 groups in front of us once we got close enough to 'taste' the front of the line.

Then we got inside and, like Tinkermommy said, had to sit through the ad for ABC programming. O.M.G. PAINFUL. TEDIOUS. BORING. MIND-NUMBING. And, frankly, Tacky.

Then we finally got to the House and had to stand there and listen to the intro. The guy was really trying to be interesting and funny. Guess what he was? TEDIOUS.

When I saw all the digital picture frames, I remembered this thread. O.M.G. They've got to be kidding me. That was ridiculous.

Like tinkermommy said, a lot of things just didn't work and the things I saw that seemed to be working looked like glorified video games. :yawn:

We didn't walk around long before we just headed upstairs. Disney owes me 45 minutes of my life back.

Adrienne

Tinkermommy
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Disney owes me 45 minutes of my life back. Adrienne

Hey Adrienne! If you recover them, let me know your strategy. Disney owes me 1,700 Disney Movie Rewards points for the virtual items they sold me then took from my kid when they shut down VMK!! :p

(Bitter? Moi? About that -- YES)