PDA

View Full Version : This weekend Columbus Day?

idesign
10-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Will DL be doing anything special for the Columbus Day Weekend?

(Just Kidding)...

But Seriously, is this going to be an overcrowded Holiday Weekend?? I forgot all about it and planned a trip...Oh No!!

Any comments are welcome!

hdlzx2
10-11-2002, 08:34 AM
This weekend is also UEA weekend (Utah Education Assosiation)
Which the kids get the 14th and 15th off while the teachers (supposedly) are to go to educational work shops-this is a popular weekend for Utahns to head to DL, therefore the park will be FULL of people from Utah...(if it isn't already)

scottmen
10-11-2002, 08:34 AM
It will probably be a little more then normal because of the new Haunted Mansion and the first weekend with Flick's Fair in DCA.

RideMax Mark
10-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by hdlzx2
This weekend is also UEA weekend (Utah Education Assosiation)
Which the kids get the 14th and 15th off while the teachers (supposedly) are to go to educational work shops-this is a popular weekend for Utahns to head to DL, therefore the park will be FULL of people from Utah...(if it isn't already)

The UEA break also includes Friday (today). I know of at least one previous UEA weekend where Disney seemed to be caught off guard by the crowds. We'll see how things go this time...

FOOD_AND_DRUG
10-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by idesign
Will DL be doing anything special for the Columbus Day Weekend?

(Just Kidding)...

But Seriously, is this going to be an overcrowded Holiday Weekend?? I forgot all about it and planned a trip...Oh No!!

Any comments are welcome!

Others have mentioned the Utah connection, however, one thing that is fluid is that park hours may fluctuate just a bit, because of the Disney-owned Anaheim Angels pennant series and spill-over effect to the parks and Downtown Disney.

Many out-of-towners may not know Disney owns the Angels, but they do know they will be in Anaheim home of Disneyland...what a better reason to visit?

Through the Chamber of Commerce, we expect a great number of last-minute out-of-town visitors from the Twin Cities this weekend who may have snagged tickets for one, two or all three games. Of course, the vast majority of the tickets will be held by southern Californians....but a couple of differences...these games
are on the weekend here vs. mid-week back in the Twin Cities...people with weekends off can make the decision to make a last minute trip here and with accomodations relatively inexpensive and great weather make the trip a win-win, compared to what has been a rather colder than normal week temperature wise in the Twin Cities.

We'll see how crowds are tonight at DL and if this gives an indicator for the weekend.

It's anticipated that DL will see an unexpected uptick in visitors to the park because of the Angels....what a great time to be in Anaheim!

Mickey is so excited....he may have a surprise in his pants!

Klutch
10-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Man, it seems no matter how much planning and research one does, there's always something missed. I was clueless about this Utah event. I knew the Angels were doing well this year, but didn't make the connection that people would drop by Disneyland if they were in the area for baseball. Oh what a biscuit am I. Sigh, I was hoping for light crowds next week.

Oh well. I'll be in the area through the 18th. Maybe crowds will lighten up toward the end of the week. With my luck, those will be UCLA's "Let's See How Many People We Can Pack Into Disneyland Days".

Thanks for the information. I'll keep checking on the park hours.

LeslieluvMcky
10-11-2002, 05:10 PM
My hubby, three kids and I will be heading to D-land tomorrow. We're renewing our ap's...I can't believe we've been doing the ap thing for 9 years now. Time sure does fly when your an ap owner!! I hope we're able to get there early enough to avoid some of the crowds...at least in the morning. Thanks everyone for your helpful information!!

AlanaP
10-11-2002, 09:50 PM
well..if anyone cares.. it's Friday night..10:45pm andwe just returned from dland..and MANO MAN was it crowded!!( hour and a half for SM! )
We have tried for 2 weekends now to get into HMH to no avail..oh well..I will bide my time..these crowds will thin ONE of these days!!
CRIPES!

Not Afraid
10-12-2002, 12:00 AM
Crowds? Oh, yeah! Tonight was nuts for this time of year. I got to the park at 5:00 pm and had to park in the middle of Minnie with a bunch of other cars. The DL entrance line was back to the Monorail and the DCA line was well past the big letters. Ride waits were really long - 110 mins for Mansion!

I was just taken off guard! I was up for a nice quiet evening.

The most interesting thing that happened was the sudden, unannounced moving back of closing time from 10:00 to 11:00. I saw a few unhappy CM who were not please with the suprise announcement.

Oh well......have to keep your audience happy.

RideMax Mark
10-12-2002, 08:18 AM
I'm guessing once the UEA rush dies down things should be back to more "normal" levels next weekend, although "normal" for HMH on a Friday night is still probably a bit over an hour, assuming last year's crowd levels are any indication.

disguy
10-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Wow, I had no idea Disney will change their closing time to meet demands at the last minute. That's a good idea, except maybe for the cm's :)

Polar33
10-12-2002, 01:45 PM
It wasn't as last minute as everyone is thinking. Alot of CMs (including myself) were scheduled two weeks ahead of time for an 11PM closing. What most CMs were irritated about was nobody told us about the change in hours 'till the last minute. We had gone most of the shift thinking that scheduling messed up big time just to find out that they knew something the rest of us wern't allowed to find out. I didn't mind it too much this time, I just hope they don't make it a habit.

HBTiggerFan
10-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Crowds? Oh, yeah! Tonight was nuts for this time of year. I got to the park at 5:00 pm and had to park in the middle of Minnie with a bunch of other cars. The DL entrance line was back to the Monorail and the DCA line was well past the big letters. Ride waits were really long - 110 mins for Mansion!

What enterance like? The ticket line or the main gate line?

Not Afraid
10-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
What enterance like? The ticket line or the main gate line?

Main gate entrance, even with numerous gates open.

Pooh
10-12-2002, 04:25 PM
Around 4:30pm on Thursday, the sign for HMH said the line was 7 minutes. My niece and I ran into the park to get fastpasses for HMH for my friend and her son who were buying APs because we thought the fastpass time would be late or not available. I think it was about 4:30 and the fastpass was for 5:05.

We switched over to DCA to visit Flik's before the park closed. The lines there were 20 minutes to 45 minutes long! The flea bumper car ride was only about 5 minutes. Little kids can't wait 20-45 minutes. That's why I try to avoid Fantasyland. The lines that are short are rides that can frighten young children, like Snow White.

Anyway, the point being: want HMH? Go down on a weeknight. :D

Morrigoon
10-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Anyway, the point being: want HMH? Go down on a weeknight.

Must....resist.....temptation.......must.....remem ber.....TOS.......

must....not....comment......:eek: ;) :D :cool:

Durliin
10-12-2002, 05:16 PM
The Reason the park was open till 11 last night was becasue there was a mix-in event... where people who attend the mix in are not allowd to enter the park till 4:30 usually stay till about an hour or two after the park closes... They dont announce they park being open till 11 so most of the regular guests leave at 10 and the mix in party can have soem time in the park with less people. If you happen to bne a regular guest who stays in the park past 10 well lucky you you get an extra hour to play.

MonorailMan
10-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Yestterday, we were down in Laguna Niguel, so decided to pop in for 3 hours. It was packed.

HMH had a 80 Min. wait. SplashMnt. was 100 min. Boy, I love single rider. :)