PDA

View Full Version : Does Disney Even Care About The Monorail?

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalDisneyLover
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I really don't sense that they even care that because of their actions, many guests continue to be inconvenienced and significantly delayed, because they are only running 1 monorail at a time, during the busy summer months.

What they should do, is market the monorail ride as a 2 part experience. During the first part, you get to stand and watch as the so-called new and improved monorail, drives into the station. View with amazement as the doors open, and nobody comes out.....and nobody goes in. Muah Ha Ha!!

How nice that they make people stand up there in the Downtown Disney station, for 20+ minutes, waiting for the single monorail to make it's loop, all the while praying that enough people will leave when the monorail returns, so that you are able to make it on. Otherwise, it's another 20-30 minutes, waiting for the monorail's return.

So what purpose is actually being served by having the new monorail go round and round, yet NEVER getting any closer to approval to carry actual passengers? I'm assuming they don't have a 2nd older version monorail available to run, or they just have another reason for running the Red monorail, around and around, while telling guests every time..."No, sorry....this monorail ain't for you to ride on, just look at it and say.....Oooooohhhhh......Ahhhhhhhhh.....pretty monorail. We'll just stand here patiently and wait for the next one in 13 minutes.

Somewhere at Disney, some corporate big wig, who designed or approved of the flaws in the new monorails, is cashing his Bonus paycheck, and saying....Whoops, my bad. But I guess that's the way things work. Somebody in authority, who doesn't know what they're doing, end up screwing up, and the cast members and customers are the ones who have to deal with the resulting situation.

But I'm just a dumb CPA. What do I know about monorail design. Except from looking at the windows which barely open, and saying to myself, as others here have, "what kind of a moron at Disney came up with that bright idea, and didn't they think ventilation might come in handy in sunny southern california. But it's not that guy's problem anymore. He's been promoted to upper management probably.

Maybe someday he can bankrupt an oil company, decimate a Major League Baseball club, and get appointed by the Supremes to the presidency.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-23-2008, 03:28 PM
What they should do, is market the monorail ride as a 2 part experience. View with amazement as the doors open, and nobody comes out.....and nobody goes in. Muah Ha Ha!!

Yes, this is the Halloween promotion for the Haunted Monorail! You must wear your 3-D glasses to see the spirits materialize!:p

How nice that they make people stand up there in the Downtown Disney station, for 20+ minutes, waiting for the single monorail to make it's loop, all the while praying that enough people will leave when the monorail returns, so that you are able to make it on. Otherwise, it's another 20-30 minutes, waiting for the monorail's return.

The ride on the monorail is currently a "one-way" trip either to Tomorrowland Station or Downtown Disney. Everyone must exit the train upon arrival, and then they load from the waiting guests. It helps the flow, but certainly doesn't guarantee that you won't wait several cycles to get on.

SoCalDisneyLover
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
The ride on the monorail is currently a "one-way" trip either to Tomorrowland Station or Downtown Disney. Everyone must exit the train upon arrival, and then they load from the waiting guests. It helps the flow, but certainly doesn't guarantee that you won't wait several cycles to get on.

This must have changed recently, because I was there 2 weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, and they counted how many empty seats were left on the monorail, after only a portion had exited. I know, because my friend and I were the last to make it on, and we walked to the last car and found the last empty seats.

I am 110% certain, that they didn't make everybody leave the monorail, and we waited at the station for at least 2 cycles, and almost had to wait for a 3rd. So if that policy changed, it did so in the last couple of weeks, not on the Sunday I was there in early June.

pcrazy99
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I rode the monorail last summer and that is how it was. Everybody coming from Disneyland was allowed to stay and ride back. It was not a one way trip. We had to wait through about 4 monorail stops until we got a ride back.

Katlovett
06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
When we were there a few weeks ago, I could hear a slight constant scraping noise as the new monorail went by. Kind of like when your brake pads are getting worn and there is a constant slight scraping noise as you drive along. I pointed it out to my husband and he did not hear it, but I really did.

It is really a problem for the monorail line. They need some kind of warning sign at the line entrance that although the line looks short, it is really a long long wait. Like maybe hours of long wait.

Mermaid
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
I was there 3 weeks ago and they were also not making people get off at the DTD station, which surprised me since they said in the spiel the monorail was open for one way trips only. I am not sure if they made everyone get off in DL- but I would imagine there are less round trippers from DTD.

Malcon10t
06-24-2008, 01:25 PM
When we were there June 1-6, there was a wait and while the line looked long, it took about 30 minutes the evening we rode(which was good!) They were in "one way" mode, and did make people disembark (which was fine since we ewre headed to DTD for dinner.)

mycutekitties
06-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I was there June 9-13 and one day they were making people get off at DTD and the next day we rode it all the way around.

Doodle Duck
06-24-2008, 05:32 PM
There is only ONE Monorail left. Purple. Obviouisly they are doing everything they can with just one machine available.

houseofmouse
06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't it be smart to just take off the new monorail, fix it and then put it on and test it? Makes more sense than just having it go round and round and round and nothing is getting done to fix the problems. :confused:

Autopia Guy
06-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't it be smart to just take off the new monorail, fix it and then put it on and test it? Makes more sense than just having it go round and round and round and nothing is getting done to fix the problems. :confused:

The new monorail is all good and ready to go. If you want to be cooked alive that is. They are having problems with the ventilation due to the new lawyerize/DOSHed windows that don't open very much. That and something with the door sensors not actually locking the doors shut are what are keeping the train from being ready to open to the public.

Heck, Ive been on that train when the car was a packed full as we could get it. And it was like 45 deg out that night. And it was starting to get uncomfortably warm by the time we got back to Tomorrowland.

janell
06-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I havn't riden the Monorail in a long time. Dinsey should care, DLH is far away from the park entrances and the monorail helps that hotel a lot or it should.

CV12Pirate
06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Took a round trip in the air conditioned nose cone yesterday. An old Mark V but still good stuff. I like the Mark III's myself.

Another Dimension
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Does anybody know what will be the actual ratio of new Monorail-riding Guests with AC (nose & tail) compared to the new Monorail-riding Guests without AC, on what will be a full-to-capacity new Monorail?

Darkbeer
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The Mark V and the Mark VII both have the same type of A/C system, and that is a small A/C system to keep the Cone and Tail sections, which have NO windows.

The Mark V total capacity is a bit larger with the former seating capacity than the new Mark VII's. The current maximum on the Mark V is 145, but is closer to 120 in real life. The Mark VII has less capacity, since the new seating capacity is designed to allow more wheelchairs on each trip, and is expected to be about 110 guests per train.

But the A/C situation is the same in the Mark V and the Mark VII. The big difference in the air flow is the design of the windows in the three main cabins, which has always never had A/C at Disneyland (The WDW system is much different and designed for A/C in all cars, as the track and cars are larger).

Since it has been determined that the Mark V Window design does not meet the current safety requirements, the Mark VII windows allow a LOT less air flow, and that is why the new Monorails are not avaialble to guests.

Another Dimension
06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
So basically, the 'relatively' new Disneyland Monorail(s) are so far just as completely useless as that WDI-forgotten 'meteor' that replaced the 'FedEX satellite' in Space Mtn.
Except the Mark VII is nicer to look at for a few seconds.

:rolleyes:

mrsdisney68
06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
So basically there is only 1 monorail running right now?? We will be staying at the DLH for the first time and I was really looking forward to using it to travel back during the day and go back at night. I have heard the wait is too long in the am so I guess we won't do that for the MM we are there. Bummer!:mad:

Mermaid
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Okay. This may be a silly question- but if the Mark V is running now and the Mark VII is the new one, what happened to the Mark VI?

nursechrissy32
06-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Just goes to show that sometimes...new is not exactly better. Should a left....well enough alone :)

We waited in line, stupidly in February at the station in downtown D for the a.m. ride into the park....watching all the other silly fools....walk to the front gates....ahahahhahahahhaaa......ha ha ha uh, not so funny, when we had to run our buts to the front gate million mile line because yet again....the monorail was not going to run this morning...did they not know this for the last hour as we stood there waiting?

Hmmmmfffffffffff

If it aint broke........

Andrew
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Okay. This may be a silly question- but if the Mark V is running now and the Mark VII is the new one, what happened to the Mark VI?
They're at Walt Disney World. Entirely different (larger) design.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
So has there been any solution proposed by DL engineers for the ventilation problem? Is there any time frame for making the fix?

IllusionOfLife
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned but I've found that these days walking is much more time efficient than waiting for the monorail. Sure it's inconvenient but I'm sure it's much more than inconvenient for the people at Disney who are trying to make this work properly but still comply with code. Yeah it sucks, but we live in a society where if you trip over your shoelace it's the shoe company's fault, and as a result of stupid people the rest of us are inconvenienced. Unfortunately is much harder to change society than it is a monorail (which, as we can see is hard enough as it is).

–SolarSurfer

DizneyMommy
06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Riding round trip or not depends on the time of day and size of the waiting crowd - that's all. If you go during morning or late evening hours, they will make you exit at both stops. If you ride when the line is fairly short at both stops, then they will usually let you ride round trip IF you get on in Tomorrowland. It is always a one way only trip if you get on in DTD.

Darkbeer
06-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Yesterday at 5 PM they were enforcing the One Way Rule, and even making guests exit the secured area and then having to go through security and having their tickets checked to get back on.

dizy4disney1
06-28-2008, 04:41 PM
When we were there in December we were allowed to stay on and ride full trip. I felt kind of bad for all the people at the DTD station. But not bad enough to get off and offer my seat!;)