PDA

View Full Version : Musical Chairs with Alice in Wonderland

River Belle
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Hoping to get one last trip in before our Annual Passes go "dark" for the summer, my daughter and I braved the parks on Tuesday. Because we're local, we usually avoid "peak" times at the park, so we were a bit overwhelmed by the crowds and the heat.

After spending an hour in DCA and another two at DL (mostly just strolling and gawking at the length of the lines), I figured it was time to call it a day. Heading down Main Street, we decided to grab a quick lunch at Coke Corner, which was surprisingly empty. We were able to find a table in the shade (!!!) and escape from the heat and the crowds for a few minutes.

A few moments after we found our table, a Disney musician took his seat at the piano and started to play "I'm Late! I'm Late!" Next thing I know, here comes Alice, the Mad Hatter, the Whte Rabbit, the Queen of Hearts, and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum! My daughter, a HUGE FAN of the characters, rushed up to greet them all. Soon she was part of a small group of youngsters who were selected to play an impromptu game of "Musical Chairs," after which the characters all stayed to sign autographs and take photographs.

We've never been awarded a dream, but this was the next best thing as far as my daughter was concerned. She danced with the White Rabbit, walked hand in hand with Alice, and got plenty of attention from the rest of the gang.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it a scheduled event? My daughter was on Cloud 9...

yohomama212
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a scheduled event. I've seen it in passing at the Plaza Pavillion but since that's being remodeled, it seems they've moved it. We haven't participated but it looks like a lot of fun. It's wonderfully random events like that which have made my YOAMD come true!

Elizabeth

oregontraveler
06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I suppose there is a difference between 'scheduled events' and publicizing
said events. Sounds to me like a typical character interaction and you being
at the right place at the right time. The Alice cast is a good choice for
these games, I saw them play Charades over by the Matterhorn one time.

cstephens
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a scheduled event.

When Rod was still at Coke Corner, you'd see this happen on a fairly regular basis, but I don't recall him ever saying it was scheduled. He seemed just as surprised as everyone else when they showed up, but he was definitely happy to participate. Maybe the characters decide amongst themselves to go, but I don't think the piano player was in on it.

But yes, lots of fun to watch.

ssturgeo
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
This usually takes place around 2:30 in the afternoon.

PanFan
06-19-2008, 09:54 PM
It is scheduled, though you won't find it on the Times Guide. If you want to know when it will be happening, talk to the CM at the info board and have them call the ToonFinder (the same thing to do if you want to know if, when, and where a particular character will be out that day). 2:30 sounds about right, though. And I'm pretty sure the pianist knows about it, though he may [have] act[ed] surprised (although perhaps things have changed since Rod's time and it really was impromptu back then). The last time I saw it, Wendy was leading the group and participating in the game were two little girls (sisters) dressed as Wendy. It was one of the cutest things I had ever seen! Later that night I had the pleasure of captaining their boat (the Wendy!) around the Storybook canal. The next day I ran into them at Alice and this time around they were dressed as Alice!

EeyoreGirl
06-20-2008, 05:50 AM
I've never seen this before but very cool! I hope you got lots of pictures. :)

BraMax
06-20-2008, 07:24 PM
My oldest son (5 then) got to do this our very first trip to Disneyland during the 50 anniversary. He was on clould 9 as well. Alice and Wonderland was his favorite ride. She even gave up her seat so that he could stay in the game. We taped it and it is one of our very favorite memories of Disneyland. I'm glad your daughter got the chance to play.