PDA

View Full Version : I am an official part of Disneyland history!

Pages : [1] 2

BIRDGIRLS
06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
So a couple weeks ago I received my Gold Award for Girl Scouts (really prestigious - like the Eagle Scout Award), and today I received a congratulations letter from the President of Disneyland! According to my leader (who called and requested the letter from Disneyland) I am the first Girl Scout Gold Award recipient to receive a letter from Disneyland in congratulations. Apparently they do it all the time for Eagle Scouts but they didn't know a lot about the Gold Award. So along with the letter, signed by the DL President himself, I received a "Good Citizen" sticker and a picture of Minnie Mouse autographed by her. It was a nice surprise!

HisKid
06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
So a couple weeks ago I received my Gold Award for Girl Scouts (really prestigious - like the Eagle Scout Award), and today I received a congratulations letter from the President of Disneyland! According to my leader (who called and requested the letter from Disneyland) I am the first Girl Scout Gold Award recipient to receive a letter from Disneyland in congratulations. Apparently they do it all the time for Eagle Scouts but they didn't know a lot about the Gold Award. So along with the letter, signed by the DL President himself, I received a "Good Citizen" sticker and a picture of Minnie Mouse autographed by her. It was a nice surprise!

How darn cool is that?!?!?!

Still so very proud of you, and this is just a really neat bonus.

menicksmom
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
FANTASTIC! What an awesome achievement and a great surprise. Congratulations!

Rufus T Firefly
06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
You totally rock! :)

yohomama212
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Dude! (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

That's great Birdgirls! Congratulations on your achievement and on the awesome recognition of that achievement!

Elizabeth

dkthepainter
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Congrats! :D;):)

potzbie
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Dude! (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

(Note on translation: If you have not experienced DCA's TURTLE TALK, FEATURING CRUSH (the green sea turtle from "Finding Nemo"), then you would not know that Crush tells us that whenever someone says "You so totally rock!", you must respond, "Dude!")
:):):)

BIRDGIRLS
06-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Thanks! It's so cool and so unexpected, because we generally get letters from senators and governors and things. So this was a good one. =]

EeyoreGirl
06-18-2008, 06:02 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! And what a cool reward!

As a former Gold Award winner myself, I understand the importance. I'm proud of you. Like someone else said "You so totally rock dude!" :)

MammaSilva
06-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Congrats once again....that is hella cool!

adriennek
06-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Apparently they do it all the time for Eagle Scouts

Note to MammaSilva: We've duly noted this, right? ;)

ETA: Do you think the head of Disney Animation would do this for an Eagle Scout???

Oh, sorry. Yes, this is very cool, and I'm MOST glad you shared! :D :D

Adrienne

MammaSilva
06-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Note to MammaSilva: We've duly noted this, right? ;)

Adrienne

You really had to ASK that??????????? I have 3 Eagle ceremonies to attend, I've gotten even stricter with my salt and sugar intake....I have to be around for at least another 14 years....

VickiC
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
My two girls were part of the honor guard at an Eagle Scout ceremony this year and they had a notebook out on display with all all the letters of congratulations he had received. They were very random. He (or his scoutmaster, or whoever does these things) must have written to a ton of politicians and companies. Ford, GM, Kellogg's, and some other companies all sent letters, a handful of govenors, senators, etc. from random states, generals, I didn't really see a pattern and wasn't sure if these were all organizations or states that meant something to him or not.

The scout's sister is a Girl Scout so the honor guard consisted of a couple of GS's at every level, of course my little 5 year old Daisy kind of stole the show when she brought up the rear and stood at attention so seriously.

Petersgj
06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Congratulations and thanks for sharing. As a Scoutmaster and Cubmaster myself, and with kids in scouting, it is good to know. The next time I have a scout make Eagle, I'll definitely be contacting Disney.

UsBurchs
06-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Congratulations! The letter is very cool!! But I'm proud of you for what you accomplished with the Gold Award! My brother is an Eagle Scout and I know how hard he worked for that (many years ago!). If the Gold Award is anything like that - you totally deserve a special letter from Disney! Many pats on the back! Way to go, girl!

TTFN92
06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Congrats! That is great!

My DS just had his Eagle Court of Honor a couple of weeks ago (he was still 13 :)), I wonder if I could still get one. Who would I contact for that? I think that would mean more to him than the Pres. of the US ;).

VickiC
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Girl Scouts can't even start the pre-requisites for their Gold unitl they bridge to Senior Girl Scouts, which is usually just before ninth grade so I'm always amanzed when I hear of very young Boy Scouts finishing their Eagle. Most of the girls I know finished up right around the end otheir senior year of high school, or even in their first year of college.

codewoman
06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow! that's a huge Scouting presence here! I have two up and coming Eagle Scouts. To get Eagle at 13 is amazing! Wow! And I, too, will contact Disney.

Congrat's on the Gold Award. Way to go! :)

tokarrai
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
As an Eagle Scout who's familiar with the Gold Award, congrats! I know the work that goes into these!

Kinda makes my key to the city of Muncie, IN pale in comparison....I mean, seriously, who's heard of Muncie, IN? *LOL*

Once again, congrats, and that's a very cool bonus!

T

jazzysmom
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
That is so incredibly COOL!!!!!

EeyoreGirl
06-19-2008, 05:11 AM
I mean, seriously, who's heard of Muncie, IN? *LOL*
T

Me, me, me! Lol I've actually been there too since my mom went to Ball State and I had a friend in college that lived there.

nvmom
06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
congrats!!

Crazydave
06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Congats on your Gold Award... Thats quite an achievemnt that is not regularly recognized!

I am an Eagle Scout... and when I earned this award, I sent letters to and received notices back from

US President William Jefferson Clinton
California Governer Pete Wilson
and other elected officials

I wish I would have thought to send one to disneyland!

Bolivar
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I finished everything for my Eagle. I had my project approved, I did it, I wrote it up, I had everything done and then I decided I was done with scouts before they gave it to me. My scout master wanted to kill me.

I was 17, what did I know. I felt like I had acomplished it, who needs the actual award and ceremony? That was my 17-year-old thinking.

adriennek
06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Girl Scouts can't even start the pre-requisites for their Gold unitl they bridge to Senior Girl Scouts, which is usually just before ninth grade so I'm always amanzed when I hear of very young Boy Scouts finishing their Eagle.

I finished everything for my Eagle. I had my project approved, I did it, I wrote it up, I had everything done and then I decided I was done with scouts before they gave it to me. My scout master wanted to kill me.

I was 17, what did I know. I felt like I had acomplished it, who needs the actual award and ceremony? That was my 17-year-old thinking.

Bolivar made my point for me but...

In his BSA training, my husband has been told by experienced BSA Leaders that the best way to get a boy to Eagle is to get him through the program before he starts to smell. As in: Before he smells perfume, gas fumes and starts to stink himself.

I was talking to a PTA mom whose sons are in a different set of pack & troop than ours on Tuesday. Her son is 13 and before I even brought it up she said: We told him he can't get his drivers license until he finishes his Eagle. I smiled and said "We told our boys that, too!" HA HA. So I know there's at least two of us now.

Adrienne