PDA

View Full Version : Hiding the outside world while inside DCA

80S ERA
06-29-2001, 07:50 AM
From a previous job, I was able to have a backstage tour of the construction of DCA during the summer of 1999. While being shown around by some employees of Disneyland's Industrial Engineering and Business Planning departments, one person in our group asked our guide about the obvious eyesore the Convention Center, West Coast Anaheim Hotel, telephone lines, and other obstructions would present to a guest while in DCA.

The following answer came from the Vice President of Business Planning (won't mention name),

"We are not concerned about a guest's ability to see the outside world, since we feel it is consitent with the theme of the park. When a guest does see the outside world, what will they see? Palm-tree lined streets and real buildings of California!";)

The look on our faces after hearing that answer was a look that expressed, "Yeah, whatever.":confused:

I think the only way to hide the outside (buildings across Katella) would be to contruct some high-rise attractions like Tower of Terror along with lots of large trees. The visible Paradise Pier seems to be the only outside structure that would be consistent with the park.

I personally have always loved the way Disneyland makes you forget about the outside world. As a child and teenager, I never could tell where the park ended and where the real world began.

Morrigoon
06-29-2001, 01:25 PM
Agreed... tall building facades can act as a berm, and can be done very well if they make the effort... look at NOS! Maybe Pressler could build some more shops around the perimeter of the onstage areas, move the merch locations there, and knock down some current ones to be replaced by rides/attractions.

JRob2k1
06-29-2001, 01:48 PM
It wouldnt be that hard or even that expensive to plant some trees or build some nice looking facades.

It would be a simple thing that would make a big difference in my opinion.

-JRob

Mandrake Linux
06-29-2001, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA
From a previous job, I was able to have a backstage tour of the construction of DCA during the summer of 1999. While being shown around by some employees of Disneyland's Industrial Engineering and Business Planning departments, one person in our group asked our guide about the obvious eyesore the Convention Center, West Coast Anaheim Hotel, telephone lines, and other obstructions would present to a guest while in DCA.

The following answer came from the Vice President of Business Planning (won't mention name),

"We are not concerned about a guest's ability to see the outside world, since we feel it is consitent with the theme of the park. When a guest does see the outside world, what will they see? Palm-tree lined streets and real buildings of California!";)

The look on our faces after hearing that answer was a look that expressed, "Yeah, whatever.":confused:

I think the only way to hide the outside (buildings across Katella) would be to contruct some high-rise attractions like Tower of Terror along with lots of large trees. The visible Paradise Pier seems to be the only outside structure that would be consistent with the park.

I personally have always loved the way Disneyland makes you forget about the outside world. As a child and teenager, I never could tell where the park ended and where the real world began.

Oh stop complaining! Trees need time to grow! Plus this isn't the season to plant trees.

SimpTwister
06-29-2001, 02:29 PM
One think that makes DCA look cheap, etc. is the lack of mature trees.

In 10 years, the change in foliage alone will make DCA look 1000 times better.

Think about this while driving around your own town. The older neighborhoods, full of old trees, look homey, safe, inviting.

The newer subdivisions look cheap and tacky, and the tree situation has a lot to do with it.

(Small trees are the least of DCA's problems, and the park looks cheap because it is cheap, just like the new subdivisions in the above example. I'm simply pointing out that mature trees -do- make a big difference, though it's something many people don't conciously notice.)

MMFan
06-29-2001, 07:25 PM
DCA and the ugly power lines along Katella go hand in hand, sort of like bread and butter. :)

Napsto
07-02-2001, 02:33 PM
that is true. tree's need time to grow, like me.