PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone stayed at the Residence Inn near Disneyland?

tstan70
10-09-2002, 08:05 AM
I am going there soon and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions of it. How are the rooms, how about shuttle service, etc...

EandCDad
10-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by tstan70
I am going there soon and wanted to know if anyone has any opinions of it. How are the rooms, how about shuttle service, etc...

I've stayed there several times, usually for work but have added a family Disneyland vacation on top of it, also.

Rooms
The rooms are very nice and well maintained. The studios usually have a queen bed and a sofa bed. There is a well-equiped full kitchen and a satisfactory bathroom. The bathroom sink is quite large and has tons of counter space. They also have one or two bedroom units, which are more expensive but I would recommend if you have more than 2 adults and 2 kids.

Food
You get a full kitchen with a big refrigerator, which is great. They serve a continental breakfast. Bagels, Eggo waffles, toast, cereal, fruit, donughts, coffee, juice. It will fill you up before you go to the park. They have an evening "meal." This can be enough depending on your eating habits and your likes and dislikes. One night is chili, one is soup and salad, one is a "taco bar", and one other. No dinner on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (I think, but check with the hotel). You also get free soda and wine (and maybe beer?). Personal note: Skip the taco bar, the meat is not too good.

You can always use part of the free dinner (say the salad) with something you get from the store and cook in your room.

Shuttle
The shuttle runs every half hour (I think). We used it a few times one year and it was fine. It's not a big shuttle (its a 7 person van) so if you leave with the big crowds you may not get on the first one and will have to wait. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel. It can be walked, but I would recommend that when you are fresh.

Amenities
The hotel has a nice pool and jacuzzi which are open 24 hours. This isn't great if you have a room near the pool (like I did last month). It has a combo basketball/tennis court. It has a small gift shop. The rooms have VCRs so if you small kids, bring videos.

I'm a big Residence Inn fan and have stayed in them all over California. They are Marriott so the properties are very well maintained.

MouseWife
10-09-2002, 10:16 AM
Is this the one in Orange?

We are going to try it this year. We usually use Embassy Suites but I like the idea of a change.

And, the fireplace just sounds inviting. ;)

So, if this is the one in Orange, I can bring some movies? Great!!

hefferdude
10-09-2002, 10:56 AM
I stay at MRes Inn's on occasion for business. Have
stayed at the one in Anaheim and found it very nice.
One caveat though, the last time I booked they
refused to guarantee a non-smoking room so I canceled.

EandCDad
10-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
Is this the one in Orange?

We are going to try it this year. We usually use Embassy Suites but I like the idea of a change.

And, the fireplace just sounds inviting. ;)

So, if this is the one in Orange, I can bring some movies? Great!!

This is not the one in Orange. It's in Anaheim, about two blocks off Katella on Clementine. This one is the closest Residence Inn to the park. The one in Orange is on Chapman and is also pretty close to the park, just not as close.

The one in Orange should have VCR's also. I've never stayed in one that didn't.

I can almost never get them to guarantee non-smoking. However, I've always managed to snag a non-smoking room at check-in.

MouseWife
10-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Okay, that is something I didn't even notice.

I do not remember being asked what I prefer. And I do prefer non-smoking.

Maybe I will pack some candles to help change the air.......

stinkerbell
10-09-2002, 12:32 PM
My best friend works for Residence Inn in management, and when we stayed at the Hawthorn Suites last year (which is next door), she arranged for us to take a look at the RI. It was nice, clean, the rooms were large, and when we return to Disneyland as a family of five in the spring, it's definitely on my short list of places to stay.

The shuttle looks to be a problem, but since it's not a shared van, we could just make sure to be there first in the mornings. (We've been bumped on the large shuttle buses before--even those fill up quickly!) And we made the walk twice to Disneyland. Once because our shuttle was full at the Hawthorn, and once to go early to Goofy's for breakfast. It's not a bad walk. But it's a long one for little legs.

The RI staff person that showed us the rooms said most of their guests are there on business, not for Disneyland, so the lines for food and the shuttle are nothing compared to other hotels. I was really, really impressed.

The best thing is that I can get a friends and family rate through my friend. I would try for a cheap rate on Priceline, but would be scared I'd get stuck at the Hawthorn instead. :(

Have a great trip!

jslivinski
10-09-2002, 01:19 PM
So, if this is the one in Orange, I can bring some movies? Great!! We normally stay at the RI in Orange. Unfortunately, they do not have VCR's (you can rent them at BlockBuster for $9.00). The location is good, about a 10 minute drive using streets (very easy) or quicker using the freeway. We try to stay in Bldg 1-3 which are around the pool and main building (some outer rooms are right next to the freeway).

We love staying there and have on all but our last trip (Price-Line gamble that didn't pay off).

Note: We choose the Orange location, because it is so much cheaper than the Anahiem location.

In response to Tstan: I highly recommend Residence Inn, we have stayed at several and have never been disappointed.

tstan70
10-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the response. I am staying there because I got great rate on the Friends & Family rate... it is great having family that works for Marriott!

As for the Smoking/non smoking issue... I couldn't get a non-smoking room when I did the reservations online so out of curriousity I tried to get a smoking room and couldn't get a smoking room either. Only option was to not request a preference at all, but I have been assured that you can usually get your preference. Luckily we are staying in a Penthouse suite that has two bedrooms, living room, etc, so if we get stuck with a smoking room, there should be plenty of space for us to air out. My biggest concern was with the shuttle and distance from the park, but it sounds like the private van should take care of it all, especially during the offseason in early November.

thanks again!

MouseWife
10-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the heads up about no VCR's. That will save me
from lugging the tapes. I won't rent a VCR. If we have the time, I'll just pay-per-view. {right....}

Okay, tstan, I booked the same type of room. I can post what I am paying, since I am not getting a deal {well, you know what I mean}. Tell me, would you, if your rate is ridiculously less.

$118.

Sonya in Boise
10-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Mousewife, I think that sounds like a good rate for all you get. When our family get older or next year when my in laws join us, I will be checking out that place.

Give a trip report when you get back.

Pack a bottle of Fabreze in case it has a smokey smell. That stuff took the smell out of my sisters truck (chain smoker) when we borrowed it for a week.

Sonya

MouseWife
10-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Thanks Sonya, for reminding me about Fabreeze. Love that stuff. Haven't needed it in quite a while so I had better look for it.....

Yeah, I think the rate is great. I checked with the Embassy Suites and it was {I think} either a little bit more or a little bit less. And this place sounds so big!!!

Oh, a couple of questions:

Do they provide logs for the fire?

And, is the upstairs a loft or a 'room'?

Ahem, just curious. ;)

EandCDad
10-10-2002, 03:03 AM

Oh, a couple of questions:

Do they provide logs for the fire?

And, is the upstairs a loft or a 'room'?

Ahem, just curious. ;)

Wow, no VCR's at the one in Orange. I've never stayed at that one but that would be a first and I've stayed at quite a few. Of course, now that I think of it, at some of the one's I stayed at, I might not have even paid attention if the kid's were not with me. Learn something new everyday.

The upstairs (that I experienced the one time I had it) was a loft rather than a bedroom type thing. You could look over the edge behind the bed and see down into the main room. There is a bathroom up there, as I recall.

Btw, if you paid $118 for a Penthouse room, you got an excellent rate. I think the government rate on a studio was $99, so I would say a Penthouse of only $19 more for a non-government rate is very good.

I've never used the fireplace but I think they might give you one log for free and then sell additional logs, but someone else should confirm.

MouseWife
10-10-2002, 05:58 AM
Glad to hear the rate is good. :)

That sounds right. I heard about a different place that
supplied firewood that way but I can't remember.........

So EandCDad, if I have two boys who love to wrestle and fight, might it be best to keep them off of the loft? :eek:

Just asking............:o

EandCDad
10-10-2002, 06:34 AM
So EandCDad, if I have two boys who love to wrestle and fight, might it be best to keep them off of the loft? :eek:

Just asking............:o

Well............in a word, yes. The one we were in, had steep stairs going up to the loft and not alot of room near the stairs (that is, there wasn't a big landing on top before you had the bed and bathroom right there). Also, if you stood on the bed, your waist was well above the loft wall and if somebody pushed you while in that position, you could go tumbling over.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but we took one look at the set-up and had our daughters sleep downstairs.

MouseWife
10-10-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad

I don't want to sound paranoid, but we took one look at the set-up and had our daughters sleep downstairs.

Sounds like what I will do, too.

Hey, I am paranoid. :o

Thanks for the info!

roberts1398
10-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Just to throw another fly into the ointment ... The Residence Inn in Anaheim is running an AP Super Saver rate, I think it's $95 for their standard suite... And the Embassy Suites is running a Fall Suite Special of I think $109 (I hear they're WONDERFUL, with full hot breakfast and nighttime heavy "snacks" including alcohol and soft drinks).

EandCDad
10-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by roberts1398
Just to throw another fly into the ointment ... The Residence Inn in Anaheim is running an AP Super Saver rate, I think it's $95 for their standard suite...

According to Mousesavers.com, it's $94 plus tax (tax is 15% so your total is $108 per night) for the studio (one queen bed and one sleeper sofa), which is a pretty good deal.

Originally posted by roberts1398
And the Embassy Suites is running a Fall Suite Special of I think $109 (I hear they're WONDERFUL, with full hot breakfast and nighttime heavy "snacks" including alcohol and soft drinks).

This is a good deal for an Embassy Suites. However, while they do give a full breakfast (which blows away the Residence Inn breakfast by a mile), I only remember them having popcorn and chips in the evening, along with all you can drink alchohol and soft drinks. I don't remember actual food like they have at Residence Inn. I haven't stayed at an Embassy in over a year, so this may have changed. The Embassy doesn't have a full kitchen like the Residence Inn, but I think they have a small refigerator, microwave and a wet bar area in each room.

MouseWife
10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Yep, it was a toss up between the two. And, the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove is the newest of the three E.B.'s in the area and beautiful.

But, EandCDad, you are right, no dinner. Now, I don't know how great the dinners at RI will be but dang it they will do!!

Yes, oh yes, the breakfasts at ES are fantastic. Hubby wakes up early just so that he can have his fill. ;)

I'll check mousesavers and see what they have for penthouses, we need that.

Yes, ES has a microwave, small fridge, and sink. They don't have the old 'bar' style that they used to have, where the 'kitchen' over looked the 'living room/dining room'. I liked that.

Oh, I should add that a friend of mine stayed at an Embassy Suites and they did do a barbecue one night, and actually she said they served things like chicken fingers another night. But, it wasn't a nightly thing.

Anyone else experience this?

tstan70
10-10-2002, 12:34 PM
MouseWife- sounds like you got a good deal on the Penthouse suite at RI Anaheim. The deal I got through F&F of Marriot is only a little bit better, so great job on getting the rate you did!

MouseWife
10-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Thanks, tstan70.

Okay, now I won't go and hunt down people who work for the Marriott. :D