PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania Tips and Tricks - Post Your Spoilers Here

AVP
06-15-2008, 06:45 PM
This is the thread to post all of your spoilers about the California version of Toy Story Midway Mania, and to brag about your high scores.

Don't worry about using spoiler tags - anyone clicking on this thread has been adequately warned.

AVP

timbabbcomedian
06-16-2008, 01:11 AM
I hope someone posts some spoilers soon. I tried to find the hidden Mickeys but came up empty.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Here's a spoiler for you...

All the people ahead of me in line who will prevent me from riding and playing multiple times! It's definitely a spoiler for me!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Love this ride! What a great addition to DCA! Looking forward to learning some secrets from other MP'ers.

ladodgerjon
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Went on TSM last Tuesday (6/10), and here's my takeaway:

I only scored 70,000 points, but I had a 60% accuracy. My friend registered 364,000 points, but rated a paltry 17% accuracy score.

IMHO, you can play the game in two ways: for greatest # of points... OR for accuracy.

If you want to rack-up the points, the technique is simple: develop a strong hand/wrist muscle group. You greatest weapon is in learning to pull the string as quickly -- and repeatedly -- as possible on the "hand cannon" (or whatever they call it). It's that simple, folks.

Personally, I enjoyed the ride, but I probably will not be a repeat rider. Maybe I'll hop-on again sometime in the future when there is no line.

That said, if I was a twelve year-old, I might feel the need to ride TSM again and again and again...

I liked the art direction... and the 3-D effects. The ride platform is a cool development that I'm sure will pop-up on some future attraction. Beyond that, and it's a pretty simple concept not worth a whole lot of deep-thought.

I'd love anyone else's thoughts on the weird/cumbersome egress: why must we do an up-and-down staircase trek through a sill half-baked "Granny's attic" display???

Bottom line: go to TSM and yank someone's chain.

PanFan
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I found three Hidden Mickeys:

On the exit side of the station, there are pictures of Jessie, Rex, and Bullseye (I think), each encased in an oval. At first glance, it looks like three ovals. Look at it again and it is a very clever Hidden Mickey (one of the official ones, as told to me by a TSMM CM).

The other two are in Bo Peep's game. There are two clouds, one on each side of the screen, each with five balloons on it. On the cloud are three swirls that form an upside-down Hidden Mickey (again, an official one according to the same CM). You can see them before and after the balloons are blown up or after all five are popped (which is a good thing to do anyways, because it sends down showers of 500 point balloons).

PanFan
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Here's a repost of what I put in the other thread (minus the spoiler tags):

Hit all the targets in the barn and it will flip over and some really tiny 2000 point gophers will come out. Also in that game, hit the 500 point fox and a 1000 point chicken will run out. Hit the 1000 point chicken and a 2000 point chicken will run out.

In the balloon game, hit all five 500 point balloons on the cloud (there are two clouds that do this) and, not only will it reveal a Hidden Mickey, it will release a shower of 500 point balloons. Once they were 2000 point balloons, but I'm not sure how I did that. [Someone else posted that they were able to get the 2000 point shower and thinks it was by hitting the last balloon on the two clouds simultaneously so you get the one 2000 point shower rather than two 500 point showers.]

In the ring toss, I think if you hit the 1000 point rocket, a 5000 point alien will appear in the back. I know he's not there at the start, but that may not be the specific trigger.

In the last one where the targets are rolling down in the mine cars, a 2000 (he may be 1000) point bat sits above and between your two mine cars. Hit him and he will move higher and become a 5000 point bat. Hit the big 500 point final bonus round target enough times (I haven't counted) and it will turn into a 1000 point target. Hit that enough times and it will turn into a 2000 point target. I haven't got it past that, but my hunch is that if you hit that enough times it will turn into a 5000 point target.

Roman Nation
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
IS THEIR A FASTPASS SYSTEM FOR THIS RIDE?:confused:

Toocherie
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I'd love anyone else's thoughts on the weird/cumbersome egress: why must we do an up-and-down staircase trek through a sill half-baked "Granny's attic" display???

totally with you on this one--what it does is make otherwise ambulatory people who have difficulty with stairs use the handicapped area. which means that the handicapped line is going to be extremely long for no good reason. I know why it's set up this way--it's cheaper for them to do it with stairs than putting in an accessible exit. really short-sighted of them.

Bytebear
06-16-2008, 05:24 PM
IS THEIR A FASTPASS SYSTEM FOR THIS RIDE?:confused:

Nope. No single rider yet either. (WDW has both). But throughput is equivalent to Haunted Mansion, so lines move quickly. I went Friday and Sunday, and the line definitely went faster Sunday, so the CMs are getting used to loading and unloading.

yohomama212
06-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone else note the handicap gate at the top of the stairs? Why?

Elizabeth

charpaul
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
In the balloon game, hit all five 500 point balloons on the cloud (there are two clouds that do this) and, not only will it reveal a Hidden Mickey, it will release a shower of 500 point balloons. Once they were 2000 point balloons, but I'm not sure how I did that. [Someone else posted that they were able to get the 2000 point shower and thinks it was by hitting the last balloon on the two clouds simultaneously so you get the one 2000 point shower rather than two 500 point showers.]

The left cloud is the "rain" cloud - clear all the targets to get a shower of 500 point blue balloons.
The right cloud is the "sun" cloud - clear all the targets to get a shower of 500 point yellow balloons.
IF you and a partner clear both clouds at the same time - you will get a shower of 2000 point "rainbow" balloons.
You MUST clear the final two targets at almost exactly the same time for this to work.

charpaul
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
In the ring toss -
IF you and a partner can get ALL the little green men aliens to go down at the same time on the center rocketship - a big mouth robot will appear from behind the rocketship. Each time it opens it's big mouth you can fire away for points - each time it opens it's mouth, the point total is higher than the time before. This is NOT easy. And you need to do it as soon as you can so you can get the maximum number of points from the big mouth robot.

HisKid
06-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Anyone else note the handicap gate at the top of the stairs? Why?

Elizabeth

AVP and I had a whole conversation about this in another thread, and I cannot for the life of me find it at the moment. I will look later, or you can try searching for something like "swinging gate". I need to run and try to make a millionty batches of cookie dough. Yes, I am as masochistic as you, sometimes. shut up. At least I don't have to frost them. ;)

AVP
06-17-2008, 06:15 AM
You MUST clear the final two targets at almost exactly the same time for this to work.According to the CMs last night, you have to pop the last balloon on each cloud within 5 seconds of each other to get the rainbow balloons. (The blue balloons are "rain," the yellow balloons are "sun," if you mix them you get a "rainbow.")

I tried this by myself and with a partner, and I was able to do it both times. When I did it myself I popped 4 balloons on each side, then got the 5th balloon on each side one after the other. If the blue / yellow balloons have already begun to fall it's too late to get the rainbow.

Here's a new one for me:

On the baseball / plates scene there are a pair of 2000 pt plates that are tossed up into the air together every few seconds. If you break both plates at once the "mountain" at the center of the scene slides down to reveal a tank, and a bunch of 2000 pt plates are tossed into the air. It looks like the tank also shoots a plate towards you - I couldn't read the pt value on it (it spins as it moves), but my ride partner came off that one round with 20,000 more points than I did so I have to bet it's a really high point target.

AVP

ssturgeo
06-17-2008, 08:39 AM
These are great tips...keep 'em comming!! I have to wait until November to try it for myself.

Niwel
06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
A ha!
So we must work together? Those sneaky Disney people ;)

KarenW2
06-17-2008, 09:35 AM
I know there were several pointers for the ride/games in the latest AP newsletter, but unfortunately, it went out in that week's trash before I made any notes. Maybe someone here still has one and can share those tips?

cynthia312
06-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I know there were several pointers for the ride/games in the latest AP newsletter, but unfortunately, it went out in that week's trash before I made any notes. Maybe someone here still has one and can share those tips?

It's just simple tips WE already know. ;) For example, the "higher" points are out of the center and shooting at certain targets would trigger another set of surprises.

Disneyphile
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
There are a lot of 4D elements to the ride too - shooting the rain balloons spritzers you with water, shooting the red ball on the army tank fires it back at you with an air blast, and ringing the alien with a jetpack makes him fly off with blasts of air.

I've yet to discover more.