PDA

View Full Version : Sinkhole

Mandrake Linux
06-28-2001, 10:15 PM
Instead of them filling that sinkhole with water, why not fill it up with concrete or anti-sink liquid?

AC/DC: Pulling an all nighter for a cup of free soda.

Mandrake Linux
06-29-2001, 02:19 PM
Ooh thanks alot! 53 stinkin views and no replies! Maybe I should just stop posting at this stupid site with no human activity whatsoever.

Alex S.
06-29-2001, 02:53 PM
Hey, ACDC, don't blame other people if your threads don't get a reply.

Probably, nobody knows. I would assume there is a good reason for not filling it with cement, but I am not an engineer and wouldn't know what it is.

Also, I am trying to fathom an "anti-sink liquid". It seems to me that a liquid that could prevent sinking would be a solid. There are liquids that will act as a solid during a sudden impact, but none that I can think of that would resist slow persistent forces.

Kevin Krock, if you see this, do you have any thoughts on anti-sink liquids?

merlinjones
06-29-2001, 03:40 PM
>>Instead of them filling that sinkhole with water, why not fill it up with concrete or anti-sink liquid? <<

Are you referring to DCA?

I heard if they leave the Submarine Voyage closed long enough, DCA will become a financial sinkhole.

Gauchograd99
06-29-2001, 11:31 PM
Not exactly a PhD in chemistry here (only a BS) but the idea of an "anti-sink" liquid brings a couple of things to mind. First would be an epoxy type compound. Filling this whole with an epoxy of the right matrix could work as long as they basically set up dams wherever the leaks are. Either that or the epoxy would have to basically cure into something like a liquid foam. Second idea would be far more expensive (read: not gonna happen)... the use of a grid of concrete and steel with a material poured in that would use the water already there as a catalyst and fill in the sinkhole as it expands, much like the foam used in surfboard production.
This biggest problem I can see with any liquid fill would be what we are seeing... liquids have a great desire to run down farther and farther into any material that will accept it. You dont want to put something in that may increase the rate of erosion. Also, many substances that might be looked into are toxic... especially in ground water and anywhere near the water table... big no-no! I am looking into my old polymer books to see what I can find.. but unless Disney is looking to spend a TON of cash on that, they will continue with water until Disneyland falls in on itself. :(

Morrigoon
06-30-2001, 09:08 PM
Forgive my naivete... WHAT SINKHOLE?

Darkbeer
06-30-2001, 11:15 PM
Morrigoon... you don't know....

The submarine water is slowly leaking under tomorrowland and and anything else near....If they don't keep pumping water into the lagoon...then things will start falling down.....:rolleyes:

Mandrake Linux
07-01-2001, 11:33 AM
They are not very smart. Pumping all that water will make the ground more soft and there will be a bigger and more intense disaster. That's Disney for you! A company, that is going down. Backwards. Without brakes.

Morrigoon
07-01-2001, 09:19 PM
Oh THAT sinkhole :p

maybe they should coordinate its repair with the ripping down of Innoventions. If they're not going to give us CoP, I'd just as well get De La Terre A La Lune in there (obviously with a name that isn't QUITE so close to space mtn).

Seriously though... sad thing. I'd *hate* to see that lagoon drained, it's such eye candy!

07-02-2001, 04:03 AM
I LOVE it that the lagoon won't go out with a whimper, if drained. Sub Voyage, R.I.P.

SimpTwister
07-02-2001, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
If they're not going to give us CoP, I'd just as well get De La Terre A La Lune in there (obviously with a name that isn't QUITE so close to space mtn).

Discovery Mountain!!!

That was the original name for the DLP Space Mountain. Works well for DL, IMO...

Mandrake Linux
07-02-2001, 01:36 PM
They are going to have to empty it one way or another. When they build a a new attraction or....most of us can pretty imagine how the other option would be. Either keep the lagoon there forever, but if they drain it there will be a catastrophe. Nobody yet said that the rumor is false. Usually they would've taken care of the problem a long time ago because it is a hazard to some serious shoppers.

They are turning the whole place into a shopping mall anyway, so it wouldn't be so bad if it collapsed.
NEXT GENERATION THEME PARK FOR THE NEXT GENERATION SHOPPER.

AC/DC- Who thinks Corona beer sucks and Flash/Shockwave is not an innovative technology.

Napsto
07-02-2001, 02:19 PM
maybe they should redo tomorowland for today?:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: