PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn + Fastpass

Mythgard
10-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Is the Matterhorn finally going to get FastPass during this update? I know that there has been a lot of talk about FastPass and the Matterhorn, can anyone tell me?

Pirate Bill
10-08-2002, 03:03 PM
I was just thinking about that the other day. Couldn't come up with any ideas because of the unique loading style. Maybe one side could be fastpass? I think that would annoy the diehard Matterhorners though.

Uncle Dick
10-08-2002, 03:14 PM
I think Disneyland has already passed the point of Fastpass saturation. If Matterhorn is to get Fastpass at any time in the future, it will probably have to be at the expense of another, less worthy attraction (ie Star Tours or Pirates). Personally, I've found the line at the Matterhorn to be quite manageable on all but the the busiest of days.

IMHO, Disneyland would be greatly served by the removal of at least two Fastpass distribution areas rather than the construction of any new ones.

thekirk
10-08-2002, 03:57 PM
I say they put fast pass in MH, and forget about Star Tours....until Star Tours gets a new story line....or something. I think MH needs fast pass.

How is the MH doing, by the way.....when is it supposed to be done...and running again?

dsnybobsledbabe
10-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Let's just say it is very doubtful.... I know that trying to rearrange the line is a disaster... for those of you who remember the mess infront of the turnstile between the planters, that is what would happen if Matterhorn got fast pass. As a former CM during the time when the managers were trying to work out the possiblity of FP it just seemed to not work out. The line is a disaster and the additional CM's and guests in a huff of confusion... IT WAS JUST BAD. And they are the smart ones who should be able to figure that all out!
I checked with the current CM that are my friends and they said no.... plus it is only a 2 month downtime (not nearly enough time!) ~amber

Ghoulish Delight
10-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Without commenting the relative merrits (or lack there of) of adding FP to Matterhorn, I'd like to address the feasability with regards to the line.

Every time FP at Matterhorn is mentioned, everyone immediately says, "how could they do it with the line." It's really not that big of a deal. Keep the line as is, wrapping around the mountain in either direction. One side (say the Tomorrowland side) is Standby. The other (Fantasyland side) is FP return. The FP "entry point," where you FP media is taken and you join with the standby people, is just at the turnstiles to eneter the queue "building". Once you go through the turnstile, you then have the choice of which side you want. Voila. It's not a big deal. They do the choice thing all the time. On slightly slower days, they run both tracks, but only use one of the lines. When you reach the turnstile, you choose which way to go. This ain't rocket science.

As for whether they should put FP in, I'm divided. I would say that UD is right. The Matterhorn line rarely gets long enough to really warrant it. But, Start Tours' line NEVER gets long enough to warrant it and it has FP, so you never know.

dsnybobsledbabe
11-07-2002, 10:38 AM
sorry hun... i know that if it were as easy as you say..... it would have already been done. trust me... they (the big guys and gals) have weight all the options over the years. that doesn't mean it will never happen... it just isn't happening anytime soon! just fyi~amber
ps you can hate my opinion, but it just my opinion!

sydney
11-07-2002, 08:33 PM
I've said it before, but while I'm all for fastpass on *the* big white mountain, I can't let them take it away from anything else, including star tours... that line *can* manage to get way long sometimes. Believe it or not.

Morrigoon
11-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Actually, forget the choice thing. Run FP on the east side, standby on the west - BUT - if they're running only one side, everyone uses the east side, and if both are open, the standby queue does west side, fp does east side. If you wanna ride the west side, get in the standby queue. Nice thing is, it keeps things moving, and doesn't necessarily give standby guests the impression that fp guests are "cutting ahead" of them. On the downside, the east side of the mountain is the better side for a long standby queue. (shrug) Deal w/it.

But if they ever try to bunch the queue together on the Fantasia Gardens side again I'm gonna have to go bop some heads. The queue is much nicer wrapping around the mtn.

Okay, maybe west side becomes fp during dual operation, and in single track operation fp guests just hop over to the east side to board. But overall, instead of a choice, I think it's far better for them just to say okay, this line is this track, that line is the other track.

tabacco
11-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Why split up the sides like that? Just merge them at the turnstiles into both lines. There's nothing right now to stop people walking up to the turnstiles, so just put a CM there, keep standby where the existing lines are, and have FP return be right there in the middle. Then just put 'em in whatever line is shortest past the turnstiles.

Morrigoon
11-07-2002, 10:55 PM
because that necessitates stopping the standby queue to let fp guests in. By splitting the lines completely (at least as long as both sides are running), the standby line never has to stop and wait for fp guests, and if fp is empty, there's nothing stopping them from sending stanby guests to that side to load, it'd make the line move faster.

tabacco
11-07-2002, 11:00 PM
They already hold the standby queue on most other rides, so it's not like it'd be a big departure from existing procedure, though.