PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Midway Mania Soft Openings and Opening Day

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Aurora2008
06-11-2008, 08:47 PM
We will be there that day *whoo-hoo*!!

Does anyone have a rough idea how long the wait might be? We will try to be there at opening, but I don't feel like getting trampled! We will mosey on over close to opening time.

I'm guessing 1 1/2 hours?

VickiC
06-12-2008, 06:26 AM
At opeining, I dont' know but by afternoon I'd say 2 hours.

Roman Nation
06-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I put my money on the highest the time limit thing goes. I to will be going in august and this seems like an attraction at the opening of the park your going to have to "walk" to.

daveywest
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM
You do have to figure in that the ride is in the furthest reaches of DCA. A park guest is going to have to specifically be targeting that ride. The boardwalk area has never seemed too crowded to me, so I doubt it would be like -- say BLYAB -- with lots of traffic walking by and realizing there is something new.

Believe it or not, not every park guest is as obsessive about Disney as anyone who reads this post.

candles71
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Believe it or not, not every park guest is as obsessive about Disney as anyone who reads this post.

Wait are you calling me obsessive? I resemble that remark. And there is truely another way to be? I am so confused.:confused:

annieb727
06-12-2008, 09:07 AM
My boys are SO looking forward to this ride...we're going to have ride it MULTIPLE times...I'm sure they won't care if the wait is long. But those are good points about opening time...there's a lot of other things that people get side tracked with. What I'm thinking we'll do is hustle over to Soarin' and get FP, then head straight over to TSM.

Niwel
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Also, keep in mind ride breakdowns, yesterday at preview when we got there (around 4:45) it was down and they weren't letting anyone in the line, so we wound down the boardwalk toward the sunwheel. Once they opened it -- we waited about another 15 minutes.

Unlike Buzz, it is not an omnimover, but, unlike the dark rides in fantasyland, when you get off, someone else gets in on the other side (think more along the lines of Big Thunder or Space).

Also, while a chunk of the queue is covered, the fans aren't all that great at keeping out the heat (so you might want to bring something on a hot day).

I expect big lines, and a lot of repeat riders. :)

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM

I agree with this. Based on the preview, there were several "hold times" while in the ride. This must be due to the loading area. So I think they are still ramping up to loading the ride most efficiently. Also, several of the cannons were covered, so the ride could not be loaded to full capacity.

Also, this ride will attract repeat attendance. It's both a ride and a game, so each experience is fun and unique.

And let's not forget that even with the previews and tests, dealing with the actual crowds and maintaining the flow will no doubt have some kinks. I would imagine waits of an hour or more during the summer.

Aurora2008
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hmmm... well that gives me something to ponder. It is funny how I assume everyone will be going opening day. I mean, don't they read this board?!?!? ;)

Maybe we'll get lucky and the wait will be minimal at opening. I'll write again after our trip and let you all know how it went!

yohomama212
06-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Also, keep in mind ride breakdowns, yesterday at preview when we got there (around 4:45) it was down and they weren't letting anyone in the line, so we wound down the boardwalk toward the sunwheel. Once they opened it -- we waited about another 15 minutes.

Unlike Buzz, it is not an omnimover, but, unlike the dark rides in fantasyland, when you get off, someone else gets in on the other side (think more along the lines of Big Thunder or Space).

Also, while a chunk of the queue is covered, the fans aren't all that great at keeping out the heat (so you might want to bring something on a hot day).

We were there today. While the fans didn't create icicles on anything, I did notice a bit of a change in temperature in the covered areas. But there were people around me talking about how useless the (very wobbly) fans were, so it could have just been me.

We were talking about this tonight and I told Mom my guess on the long lines will be due to repeat riders. We rode it three times and I'm addicted. The good news is that you will have a chance to rest your arm before working the heck out of it again!

Elizabeth

amarvel
06-12-2008, 09:06 PM
we'll be there on tuesday as well but i plan on not even trying the ride that day. but i do plan to go check out the line just for fun.

TerryTiger
06-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I was at DCA this morning for opening at 10 AM and Toy Story Midway Mania was open to all guests. Walked right on and rode it twice then walked around the park. Went back at 11:30 and the line was 30 minutes long - rode it again. It really is a step up from Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

DisneyJenn
06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I got to do the sneak preview Wednesday and they were allowing ride agains because the line was so short. The ride was AWESOME! totally lived up to all of the hype and I was giggling and cooing like a kid in a candy store!

Get there early... the lines for this one are going to be longer than Nemo for a very long, long time!

IdahoMike
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Doesn't it load similarly to Buzz? If so, there is no way the lines will be as long as Nemo, even if it is 10x the attraction that the Nemo subs are. Edit: I read a little more, and it is different than Buzz, but still should load much faster than Nemo, plus it is in DCA, which should keep the lines shorter than Nemo too. I think that is a big factor in line length. If it were in DL, yeah, huge, huge lines, but in DCA, not as much.

HisKid
06-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Doesn't it load similarly to Buzz? If so, there is no way the lines will be as long as Nemo, even if it is 10x the attraction that the Nemo subs are. Edit: I read a little more, and it is different than Buzz, but still should load much faster than Nemo, plus it is in DCA, which should keep the lines shorter than Nemo too. I think that is a big factor in line length. If it were in DL, yeah, huge, huge lines, but in DCA, not as much.

There is a vast difference. People are not going to want to ride Nemo a bunch of times in one day. Then a bunch of times the next day.

This ride DOES have a much larger capacity per hour (I don't know the number, but I think it was double-ish or something) which will help a lot. It is a WAYYYY better ride than Nemo is, though, IMO. And yes, it loads a lot differently from Buzz. I think it's actually closer to Screamin than Buzz, except the restraint only goes over your lap, and not over your shoulder, and every other row will ride back-to-back.

yohomama212
06-13-2008, 08:49 PM

Also, repeat riders. This is NOT a ride once and you're set for life attraction. We rode three times yesterday and it so was not enough! I can see especially the high school and early college guys riding over and over to beat their high scores! (Between trips on Screamin' of course!)

Elizabeth

HisKid
06-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Also, repeat riders. This is NOT a ride once and you're set for life attraction. We rode three times yesterday and it so was not enough! I can see especially the high school and early college guys riding over and over to beat their high scores! (Between trips on Screamin' of course!)

Elizabeth

Yeah, that was my exact point about Nemo, except I stated it backward, lol. This ride will make the Midway far more of a destination, whereas I know a lot of people would never come to the Midway except for a ride on Screamin'.

mckygirl99
06-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I can honestly say that I haven't had that much fun on a Disney Attraction since Rock-n-Rollercoaster in WDW. I just kept laughing and laughing, even more so than my little girl.

Question though...is there an age limit for this ride? I thought I saw a sign about being 4 years old but it was as we just sat down so I didn't get a chance to read it. I ask b/c I couldn't imagine taking my almost 1 year old. I was lucky yesterday that it was a mother-daughter trip and my son stayed home with husband. I know it would be difficult to hold him during that ride and I really didn't see any little ones yesterday.

All I can say is LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!!!!

lisap
06-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I wish MM loaded quickly like the continuously loading Buzz does--what I don't understand is why they designed the vehicles to open by themselves, but require a CM to come and shut each and every door and check the lap bar. That eats up a lot of time.

THpoohbear
06-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I wish MM loaded quickly like the continuously loading Buzz does--what I don't understand is why they designed the vehicles to open by themselves, but require a CM to come and shut each and every door and check the lap bar. That eats up a lot of time.

My thoughts exactly!!! Yesterday DH and I got to ride three times, and I noticed the CM's closing all the doors. I commented to him, gee, they should have made automatically closing doors!

But, I wonder if they couldn't do an load system like buzz because I think that there are two different tracks in TSMM. And, the vehicle has to stop for each game, so it wouldn't make sense to have a constantly moving track. But yeah, automatic doors would have been good.

Drince88
06-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Even with auto doors, they'd still have to check restraints, so I'm not sure it saves THAT much time to not have auto-close doors. PLUS, they'd have to put in sensors so it didn't close on the toes of someone who had them sticking out inappropriately, etc, so since the CMs have to check the restraints, it's not that much more work to have them close the doors and limit the electronic things that can break!

HisKid
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Also, the restraints on this ride need to fit much more snugly. Children (and some adults) cannot brace themselves against the sudden lateral motion.

Catcherman22
06-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I waited an hour for this ride yesterday afternoon and it was soooooo worth the wait.

They have a hit on there hands with this one folks. I could spend a whole day riding this... hmm now thats an idea.

Bytebear
06-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I rode it yesterday, and am going to try again tomorrow. The line wasn't too bad, about an hour. What was amazing was the attention to detail in the architecture. What a treat to see in DCA. They do need to balance the fans though, they were spinning pretty unevenly. And they need to replace the old blueish green color scheme on the lamp posts and fences. But based on the detail they put into the rails, walls and ceiling, I have high hopes for the park.

Ok, the ride itself was great. The 3D really worked well, and the way you move from one area to another was a lot of fun.

Ok, so why does Mr. Potato Head do so many awkward pauses. It's like he has narcolepcy or something.

KarenW2
06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know how this ride goes with being in a wheelchair? With Buzz, I can stay in my chair and they just take the back down of the special vehicle and wheel me into it. Do they have special cars for this one?