PDA

View Full Version : Newsweek Article about DCA / Bug's Land / Gay Day

California Aggie
10-07-2002, 10:04 PM
I stumbled upon this Newsweek article, didn't realize that these two events were on the same day! Despite Disney's best efforts, the journalist seems to have gotten sidetracked onto the "Gay Day" events. It's a good example of how mainstream journalists view DCA critically too, and its not just us Disney freaks. :D

http://www.msnbc.com/news/818368.asp

"A Gay Old Time:
Disney’s California Adventure previewed its kid-friendly ‘Bug’s Land’ attraction on Sunday. Funny thing was, it was also the unofficial ‘Gay Day’ at the theme park

"That’s when it hit me. I looked around, and saw folks in red shirts having more fun than the other patrons. Maybe Disney should, in keeping with the Bug’s World theme, turn over a new leaf. They can reinvent the park one more time to boost sagging attendance. Disney’s Gay California Adventure. Now, that’s got potential."

Darkbeer
10-07-2002, 10:20 PM
I just wanted to say that was a very interesting article, and I went ahead and placed it in the news section, but I wanted to give you credit for finding it....:)

TP2000
10-07-2002, 10:23 PM
A pretty brutal review of Flik's Fun Fair, and an even more unflattering assesment of DCA in general.

And the entire sidetrip in to the Gay Day events was a bit bizarre.

Still, isn't it interesting how the mainstream press has picked up on the "DCA is a failure" theme?

HBTiggerFan
10-07-2002, 11:01 PM
OUCH! A pretty harsh yet truthful (IMHO) opinion of DCA. Yes, I like the park as a less crowded alternative, but would never pay for admission.

As for the gay day spin, its interesting to see how her media guides panicked when she became interested in the gay day festivities and recited the Disney spiel about it a few times.

Thanks for the link :)

MammaSilva
10-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Well at least now we know Al isn't the only one that can see the flaws in DCA.....I thought that her article was well thought out and her assesment of DCA doesn't surprise me......we've all said the same thing, that it was built on the "cheap" and now Disney is paying the price ...penny wise pound foolish! As for her observation that the participants in Gay Day seemed to be having more fun...probably because most of them knew going into DCA what to expect and wanted to enjoy the good parts of the park, they hadn't been 'hyped' to expect more than what is there...

disguy
10-08-2002, 08:21 AM
That's a funny article. If they didn't want there media thang to be with gay day they could have easily changed it. Gayday2 announces the dates months ahead of time. Oh well we had more fun then the media people anyway! ;)

Woodpecker Planet
10-08-2002, 04:31 PM
(Note to group: this is a serious post. Thank You.)

You know what Disney was really saying by holding Gay Day on the opening of Flik's Fun Fair.

Yup.

Flik is a homosexual.

This is as subtle as the aroused Preist from The Little Mermaid. I don't know why Disney just can't come out and have an openly gay animated character though.

I guess this is another in the long line of "concealed" references having to do with sexuality in the Disney animated cannon.

Flik could be a great spokesman for Gay rights. But I suppose he's not for the same reasons Disney still does not "officially" sponser Gay Days, yet it's one of the biggest if not the biggest event at the parks all year.

Disney seems to want to promote homosexuality, yet act like they aren't promoting it.

Another example of Disney wanting to have things both ways.

Morrigoon
10-08-2002, 04:48 PM
I can't wait to hear your reasons supporting this statement.

cstephens
10-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Woodpecker Planet
(Note to group: this is a serious post. Thank You.)

You know what Disney was really saying by holding Gay Day on the opening of Flik's Fun Fair.

Yup.

Flik is a homosexual.

I've not actually seen "A Bug's Life" (yet, but now I want to), so I don't know whether or not this is true, but so what if it is? Flik is a bug. If I recall, it's not at all unusual for different species of animals and the like to engage in homosexual activity. It's only with humans that it's apparently some big issue.

MammaSilva
10-09-2002, 11:08 AM
well not even going into the discussion of animal/insect behavior....the reason flik goes off to find help against hopper is because he has a major crush on Princess Atta....

blusilva
10-09-2002, 12:55 PM
If I were Disney, I'd be worried that the only big celebrity mom they could come up with is Melanie "I'm a raving drug addict" Griffith.

But, then again, didn't she used to be in Superstar Lame-o? I guess she's "hip and edgy".

California Aggie
10-09-2002, 03:58 PM
is it just me or does Melanie Griffith bare more than a passing resemblance to Anna Nicole Smith? ::shudders::

Anyway, if we really wanted to see a correct depiction of insects in A Bug's Life, Flik would have been a female, because all worker ants are non-reproducing females. Males, who like fertile females or queens, can fly, die shortly after mating. :eek:

I haven't seen A Bug's Land yet, but if they wanted to make it Californian, perhaps they could have an exhibit on actual native Californian insects. Kids love to see that kind of stuff. More than facts about lettuce anyway, but you could have a substantial exhibit on how California bugs impact agriculture. :D

newhdplayer
10-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I've not actually seen "A Bug's Life" (yet, but now I want to), so I don't know whether or not this is true, but so what if it is? Flik is a bug. If I recall, it's not at all unusual for different species of animals and the like to engage in homosexual activity. It's only with humans that it's apparently some big issue.

Do you have any references for the above behavior?

Or would this be an attempt to strengthen the alternate lifestyle argument?

Just curious.

Uncle Dick
10-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
If I recall, it's not at all unusual for different species of animals and the like to engage in homosexual activity. It's only with humans that it's apparently some big issue.
It's also not uncommon for some species of animals to eat their young, but humans seem to have an issue with this as well.

Originally posted by newhdplayer
Do you have any references for the above behavior?

Or would this be an attempt to strengthen the alternate lifestyle argument?

Just curious.
Here's (http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc97/1_4_97/bob1.htm) a reference for you. And another (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_198.html). In fact, a quick Google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=animal+homosexuality&btnG=Google+Search) reveals a veritable cornucopia of sources with varying accuracy. That being said, I don't buy the whole "you and me baby ain't nothing but mammals" argument. There are more compelling arguments in favor of alternative lifestyles to be found elsewhere.

And, because I abhor digressions (especially those bound to incite strife), I loved the references to the Disneyland host's canned spiel regarding "Gay Day". Having been through Disney's Diversity Indoc-, er, "Training" myself, I was amused to hear the same old song and dance (not a bad song, mind you) being used on the reporter. :D

hefferdude
10-10-2002, 11:46 AM
It's also not uncommon for some species of animals to eat their young, but humans seem to have an issue with this as well.

LOL - I peeked at the link and found this reference:

For example, in some species, animals are more willing to share food with a member of their own sex after sexual activity with him or her.

So, put the two together and we have what?

" That was incredible sex! Hungry? Here, please eat my young.":eek:

Syllogistic madness.