PDA

View Full Version : Disney announces new attractions created to drive park attendance - OC Register, 10/7

Darkbeer
10-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Disney announces new attractions created to drive park attendance (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=5993&section=BREAKING_NEWS) - Orange County Register, 10/7/02

QuikQuote: The Disneyland Resort confronted a slumping economy head-on Monday by announcing major investments and new attractions created to drive attendance into the two Anaheim theme parks.
A Broadway-caliber theatrical production, the expansion of California Adventure with a child-oriented new land, the addition of a kids' stage show based on Disney Channel characters, and the unveiling of a long-awaited Winnie the Pooh attraction in Disneyland are expected to boost attendance, which is down 6 percent at Disney parks worldwide.

AliKzam
10-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Well, almost worldwide. Hello, Tokyo!

innerSpaceman
10-07-2002, 08:17 PM
If they think they're gonna boost attendance with Pathetic Fun Fair and watered down Pooh ride, they've got a nasty surpirse coming I think.

Morrigoon
10-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Fun Faire wasn't pathetic. I wouldn't call it earth-shattering either, but it was a definite improvement. If DCA had been that well-themed from the outset (all over, not just in one land) then maybe DCA wouldn't be having its current attendance problems.

I don't think it will be enough to carry the park though. They're going to have to keep up the redos for a couple years until DCA is worthy of its northern neighbor.

DisneyFreak2000
10-08-2002, 09:13 PM
Okay, Im getting to be a bit hypocritical here... I was one of the few who defended the California theme from the beginning and through all the changes and thought that in the end it would be allright.... Now with Fliks Fun Faire, I mean it could fit in the theme with California agriculture, so I guess that's all allright... but now I really believe that they're completely throwing aside the theme...

The Playhouse Disney thing has nothing to do with Calfiornia or even Hollywood, and you could tell its just something to throw in there as a fix without anythoguht to the theme... but this time its not a temporary thing its almost a longlasting change

I dont know if I read it here, but PIXAR LAND? What the heck, what does a land based on Pixar movies have anything to do with California? Like I said, I could see Bugs Life fit in with agriculture and maybe even Finding Nemo in with the beach type surf atmosphere of Paradise Pier, but adding Toy Story and Monsters Inc or whatever... its just going to far

Maybe I should join the other side, for once, and join in on saying the theme is starting to get lost and they should just change the name of the park to Disneys Animation Adventure or Disney Studio or something. At this point it seems almost easier to convert the few things from the California theme into a few movie related items than the movie related items to California themes.

adriennek
10-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
I dont know if I read it here, but PIXAR LAND? What the heck, what does a land based on Pixar movies have anything to do with California? Like I said, I could see Bugs Life fit in with agriculture and maybe even Finding Nemo in with the beach type surf atmosphere of Paradise Pier, but adding Toy Story and Monsters Inc or whatever... its just going to far

Actually, IMO, to call it Pixarland really does put it more in the California theme-- Pixar is headquartered in California. Pixar made tremendous developments in computer animation (in California.) Pixar's CEO is Steve Jobs who co-"invented" Apple Computers and revolutionized the home computer industry. Although Pixar is only "near" Silicon Valley, Apple is in Silicon Valley- a central area for computer innovation and development. And really, John Lasseter just oozes California-- am I alone on that one?

Anyway- Pixarland says California to me ;)

Adrienne K

MammaSilva
10-08-2002, 10:36 PM
ohhhhh that whole thought just made my imagination run wild with what Steve and his crew could do in cooperation with the WDI of yesteryear ....DCA would become Disney Can't be missed Adventure!

teri
10-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Amen to that!

Frees
10-09-2002, 07:59 AM
My initial thought is that Pixar itself isn't represented enough to make Bug's Land fit in to the California theme. Pixar is certainly an acknowledged entity when you're in Emeryville (okay, maybe the whole Bay Area), but not so much as the rest of the state. I'm thinking that if you were to tie Bug's Land to DCA through Pixar's place in the history of Silicon Valley, it would first require that DCA at least acknowledge Sillicon Valley!

...but then I though, how cool would it be if Pixar's creations began gradually creeping out of that generalized area and we started to see Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story attractions, blending in to a part of that park dedicated to the history of the Tech industry in the state. Something celebrating the birth of the Personal Computer and the chip revolution and general California ingenuity, yadda, yadda (no, I don't want Innoventions to be moved over there).

Anyway, my point is that while I don't think that Bug's Land fits in with DCA right now, I'm seeing the potential you're talking about.

stitcher
10-09-2002, 08:08 AM
I'm thinking that if you were to tie Bug's Land to DCA through Pixar's place in the history of Silicon Valley, it would first require that DCA at least acknowledge Sillicon Valley!

I agree. Throw this in as well, Original characters to the "Silicon Valley" theme created exclusively for the park, which may later expand.

Entice interest that you can't find anywhere else.

AliKzam
10-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Okay, this is probably because I'm not a kid, anymore, don't have cable, and don't have kids of my own...
...But an attraction based on "Plahouse Disney" just sounds stupid to me. You will not sway me from this oppinion. Even if it flourishes at the park and brings in millions upon billions of dollars for it. This sounds dumb to me.
It just sounds like they're beginning to overdue it, again. Like when people liked watching "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", they said, "Hey, let's air it everynight! Folks'll love it!" Or when they gave the lawyers a bunch of leeway (yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong), and the lawyers said, "Hey, let's cement every crevice in the park and put safety measures where they're really not needed but technically could be so no one will ever try to sue us again!" Now it sounds like their saying, "Hey, we need more stuff for little kids and parents with little kids to do together. Let's make EVERYTHING something only little kids and parents with little kids can do, together!"
Okay, maybe I'm over-reacting a little. After all, they are bringing the Tower of Terror over. But I am of the strong belief that ten years from now, DCA is going to be very different from what it is, now. If it turns into a park strictly geared towards small children, I will be very unhappy.

TheMur
10-09-2002, 06:38 PM
I think we are missing one important point though. An attraction ( ok show) is replacing a retail space - this is a great thing and hopefully a trend for this underperforming park!!!!

Ghoulish Delight
10-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by TheMur
I think we are missing one important point though. An attraction ( ok show) is replacing a retail space - this is a great thing and hopefully a trend for this underperforming park!!!! Actually, it's replacing food space. In a park where too many eateries are habitually closed. With Hollywood and Dine closed, that leaves, ummmmm, hot dogs as your only food option if you're in the backlot. Of course, before your only options were hot dogs or too expensive, but at least it was an option.

TheMur
10-10-2002, 12:42 PM
I consider food retail. I have not eaten there so I can't comment on the relative merits of SOB to other food locations. But even if it short term, that is a net gain in my book!

AliKzam
10-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Well, I didn't mean to jinx things, I really didn't. I guess I was thinking in the short term. I'm sorry. A show's not so bad, seeing as how I thought it was going to be a ride. But according to Jim Hill, that show may not happen.
Did Mickey Miss Out on the Muppets? (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/newarticles/singles/muppets.htm)
Basically, what it says is the Muppets are going to be bought by Saban Entertainment from EmTV. The article discusses the consiquences of Disney not buying them (since Michael's motto is currently "cost-cutting") and suggests that DCA wasn't going to be completely Pixarized, but possibly Muppetized.
I completely agree that it's about time the Muppets had their own theme park, or at least a good portion of one. I believe it would be easy to put them into the California theme, if that continues to be the theme of the park. But I wish Disney would buy them if that's what is necessary for them to make all those attractions.

PXSgeek
10-10-2002, 06:35 PM
boy i sure miss that parking lot infront of Disneyland:(

MonorailMan
10-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by PXSgeek
boy i sure miss that parking lot infront of Disneyland:(

I say anything is better than acres of black tarmac.

DCA may have it's down falls, but have about 10 rides, vs. 1 tram ride to your car, seems better to me. :)

Woodpecker Planet
10-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Actually, IMO, to call it Pixarland really does put it more in the California theme-- Pixar is headquartered in California. Pixar made tremendous developments in computer animation (in California.) Pixar's CEO is Steve Jobs who co-"invented" Apple Computers and revolutionized the home computer industry. Although Pixar is only "near" Silicon Valley, Apple is in Silicon Valley- a central area for computer innovation and development. And really, John Lasseter just oozes California-- am I alone on that one?

Anyway- Pixarland says California to me ;)

Adrienne K

Yes, they "could" make this work. They "could" find a way to blend the theme (most any theme really) into the overall theme of California.

For instance, if they had something that taught people about how Silicon Valley and the computer industry is important to Californias economy. Even if it's just a little pavillion as people enter the area.

And the area can be called, Pixar's SillYcon Valley.

But this retheming of lands isn't just a problem here. There's Rock N Roller Coaster at the MGM Studios, a music based attraction at a movie themed park. And apparently Universal is going to put in an attraction based on The Mummy in their New York themed area.

AliKzam
10-14-2002, 07:26 PM
Oh... if only Disney and George Lucas still got along...
I love the idea to rename the Bountiful Valley Farm area Sillycon Valley. They could keep rolling green hills and pastuers (since that's what most of California is, anyway), add a few more Pixar-type stuff, and add a ride devoted to Skywalker Ranch! Something that puts you into Lucas technology. Maybe a combination of Space Mtn and Adventure through Innerspace, that's worthy of Tokyo DisneySea. It wouldn't have to necessarilly have anything to do with Star Wars or Indy.
And if that area is anywhere near the Hollywood Backlot area... ooh, I can just smell the synergy!
You go, Rasulo!

stitcher
10-14-2002, 08:28 PM
I love the idea to rename the Bountiful Valley Farm area Sillycon Valley. They could keep rolling green hills and pastuers (since that's what most of California is, anyway), add a few more Pixar-type stuff, and add a ride devoted to Skywalker Ranch! Something that puts you into Lucas technology. Maybe a combination of Space Mtn and Adventure through Innerspace, that's worthy of Tokyo DisneySea. It wouldn't have to necessarilly have anything to do with Star Wars or Indy.

<salivating with excitement>
My thoughts exactly, but it doesn't look like that will happen until Eisner leaves.