PDA

View Full Version : Do you smell a rat?

RStar
10-07-2002, 10:13 AM
Ok, we have heard of the cast member spottings of rats at the DLR. And some of us spend enough time there to see these things, I know I have. So let's get a tail count. And by the way, I live only a couple of miles from the resort, in Garden Grove and I can tell you they are a fact of life. I have been fighting the fruit rats in by backyard trees for a year now.

I saw one on a tree next to Tiki room where the refreshment cart is now (in 1995), one smashed dead in the queue line for Cassey Jones (same year), and recently one crossing the green bridge at DCA (it had no where to go but right passed us, to the dissmay of my daughter), and one in the foot path going to the handycap parking area of the M&F parking structure.

So that's 4 in 7 years, or 0.571 rats per year. I have killed 7 in my back yard in one year.:eek:

Any one else see Mickey's cousins around the DLR?

Brad
10-07-2002, 10:16 AM
No-but there are plenty in Burbank.

teri
10-07-2002, 10:19 AM
I have seen a couple of dead ones floating in the water at Rivers of America over the past couple of years.

We have roof rats in our neighborhood - it is a constant battle. Just found another nest in a box in our garage last month. Even the most expensive properties have them around here.

goofey
10-07-2002, 10:22 AM
They used to live in the stroller shop. If you ever see small round or square holes in the seat of a DL stroller, chances are they were made by a rat. There are actually rat traps all over the place, but most of them are backstage or well hidden in shrubbery.

justagrrl
10-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Aside from the "rug-rats" everywhere, ;) I've never seen a rat at Dland. However, we've only been passholders for less then a year, and I probably only went 8 or 9 times ever before that.

Gandalf
10-07-2002, 11:46 AM
We haven't seen any rats at DL, but there were a few mice that were running around in the brick planters (outside the fence) in front of the Haunted Mansion. We used to see them at night along the edge by Hungry Bear Restaurant.

cstephens
10-07-2002, 12:25 PM
About six months back, we saw a few tiny baby mice outside River Belle Terrace, on the river side. I'm definitely not a mouse person, but they were very cute. We fed them some of the leftover muffin we had from breakfast. They were pretty skittish, wouldn't come out too far from under cover of the foliage, would run and hide when the little sparrows came looking for the crumbs we were tossing.

swcrazy
10-07-2002, 01:35 PM
DLR has always had problems with rats, this is why they have Disney kitties roaming around the park. Last time i saw them there were like 2 dozen kittens at only a few adults, that is probably why the rats haven't been taken care of yet, the kittens are still growing and learning.

RStar
10-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Aside from the "rug-rats" everywhere, ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about those pesky little rats!:D

And I think the best part about the DL rats is the DL kitties!:D They stay hidden during the day, and do their job at night. I have seen them early in the morning. In fact I saw one while waiting for the MP staff to start the Mouse Adventure Mad Scramble at DCA last spring. I wonder if the gardners have to watch out for droppings?:eek:

tod
10-07-2002, 02:29 PM
I remember seeing a mouse, about the size of my little finger, scavenging around the staircase to the Fantasyland Skyway. That was right next to the berm, and it may have been a secure place in those pre-Videopolis days when there was a meadow where the new Fantasyland Theater is now.

And remember -- rats are a part of urban life. They're everywhere and their mere existence is not a reflection on sanitation or anything else. Harboring them or tolerating their presence is a bad thing, though.

--T

tabacco
10-07-2002, 02:41 PM
I was working the Fantasmic! b-section seawall one night, when some guests seated right next to B-tower on the Pirates side spotted a mouse in the little shrubs that grow at the base of the handrail. Fortunately, they weren't especially disturbed by it and it didn't really show any inclination ot move from where it was. I have no idea what I would have had to do if they'd been scared of it :)

RStar
10-07-2002, 02:52 PM
That could have started a riot or stapede or something!:eek:

Not Afraid
10-07-2002, 03:15 PM
I've seen a number of rats at DL in the past (and recently). They are easiest to spont in the Swan pen around feeding time whe they play of game of "get the food - avoid the swan".

On numerous occasions, I've had rats run across my path as I waunder through the park. Tomorrowland and NOS are good places for rat spotting.

The cats do a fine job. They've located one to TSI now. I miss the kittens, though. They were rounded up and sent to the pound a week or so ago to be advertised as a Disneyland Cat. I wish I could adopt one:crying: :crying: :crying: .

tabacco
10-07-2002, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised they didn't sell them on eBay :)

cemeinke
10-07-2002, 08:17 PM
My best rat spotting has been catching one run across the lantern cables over the Mad Tea Party.

As Not Afraid mentioned, we also often see them trying to share dinner with the swans.

tinkfreak
10-07-2002, 08:51 PM
After almost 5 years, I've seen too many to count. My most interesting? On a recent night time cruise on the Mark Twain, I actually saw one swimming up to the boat. According to some girls who ran up to the front where my group was it actually managed to climb aboard!

RStar
10-08-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I've seen a number of rats at DL in the past (and recently). They are easiest to spont in the Swan pen around feeding time whe they play of game of "get the food - avoid the swan".

Where is the swan pen? Can I watch them feed the rats- I mean Swans? That would be neat to see.

RStar
10-08-2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
I'm surprised they didn't sell them on eBay :)

I wish I had thought of that!

Oh Rats! :D

(Sorry MM);)

Pirate Bill
10-08-2002, 09:22 AM
I spotted my first (and only so far) while in Tarzan's Treehouse. And what's funny is at the time, I wanted to find a CM and let them know, thinking that some kid might get bit or something. This was clearly before I knew there was such a problem with them. Luckily for me, there wasn't a CM around to get a good laugh at my expense.