PDA

View Full Version : Incident at Closing 10/6/02

Pages : [1] 2 3

houseplant
10-07-2002, 06:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone was at DL at closing yesterday
( 10:00pm) by the EXIT. I saw the following and thought someone may have some details to add.

A Latino man was surrounded by Police and Security. He was yelling things in Spanish and also just things you couldnt undertstand. They had 2 secuirty golf carts at the exit as well as at least 10 security/police personel as well as Operations people.

The man was screaming and walking away from police. He took his young daughters hand, still screaming and the police literally ran after him and before you knew it jumped on top of this guy, his daughter was pulled away and some woman from DL managmenet hid her under the her jacket The man was being handcuffed and wresteled with police. The daugheter couldnt have been more then 6 years old and was screaming "I want my Mommy" and it was a horrible scene to have witnessed at DL. The man started to scream "They are going to kill me" "help me" over and over. He said it in English and Spanish.

What worried me was there was no sight of this poor childs mother. As they carted her father off, she was left with who I will assume is Operations personnel from the park. I wondered could this man be an employee as he had on a Flik's Fun Fair I.D . I was told it was a CAST preview yesterday night and perhaps his wife worked there?.

I wondered if anyone had any additional details. While I understand it may hve been necessary to handle that situation the way it was handled. I left very sad for the young girl and wondered what could he have done to warrant that type of reaction.
Thanks

Pixie Glitter
10-07-2002, 07:10 AM
I wasn't there and haven't heard anything else about it, but your description makes me wonder if perhaps the man wasn't the little girl's father--sounds like there might have been some concern about him abducting the child. Either way--yikes!!

socabch
10-07-2002, 07:20 AM
The man started to scream "They are going to kill me" "help me" over and over.
If this man is the girls father, then shame on him for yelling things like that. It only frightened her more. The man was probably accused of something serious for the police to grab him instead of just asking him to leave DL property.

houseplant
10-07-2002, 09:10 AM
The police didnt grab him, they full on jumped him and tackeld him to the ground. I was horrifed, and shocked the little girl was not injured as she was pulled away by the manager.

Im still very curious to find out what happened. I dont think the girl was being kidnapped, I think it was more something he did that caused the police to think he may harm himself or others? He could have been on drugs, maybe drunk. But I think it was serious for it warrant as much security prescence as it did.

bluepearl
10-07-2002, 11:17 AM
I wasn't there at closing, but there was also some sort of altercation with the trams last night. It was around...let's say 7PM, at the structure loading area. There were two trams backed up, so our tram stopped right before the tree. The second tram that was stopped at the loading area for wheelchairs and such, and it seemed as though one male guest was yelling at some other guests that were sitting on the tram. He was at the end of the first car, pointing at the last seats and yelling, and there was about one or two RT&P CMs there. Then I saw some more walk over to that area, presumably to diffuse the situation. I don't know what was going on - the man was apparently extremely upset - and I don't know whatever happened.

Traci
10-07-2002, 01:14 PM
I'm bumping this because now I'm curious to know what happened in these two situations?

RStar
10-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Me too, but I know stuff like this goes on nearly daily. It's nothing new. Internal Affairs waits outside the gates to catch people selling ticket media, and they get busted right there. I would guess they would do the same if they take merchandise, but at least it's not at the front gates. I can't imagine what this could have been from.

TP2000
10-07-2002, 08:26 PM
I would assume the man yelling at the gates was probably some petty theft like shoplifting or tresspassing or something. Although the Disney security folks always try to handle that with the happy-shiny "nothing goes wrong in the Magic Kingdom" attitude, the real-world Anaheim Police Officers probably don't give a damn and just play it by the book. And if some shoplifter is trying to elude police or has become verbally and/or physically abusive then they will just jump him and apprehend him then and there.

Perhaps he was using the Flik's media pass (given out to every supermarket coupon newsletter in America) and the little girl as his "cover" while he broke the law in some way on Disney property?

And who knows why some dork was yelling on the tram? Maybe someone stole his seat or elbowed him or made fun of his date?

With 50,000+ people a day from all walks of life coming on to Disney property, I imagine there are all sorts of little incidents happening and many criminals wandering around. It's amazing more sensational stuff doesn't happen on Disney property when you think about it.

BJW
10-07-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Me too, but I know stuff like this goes on nearly daily. It's nothing new. Internal Affairs waits outside the gates to catch people selling ticket media, and they get busted right there. I would guess they would do the same if they take merchandise, but at least it's not at the front gates. I can't imagine what this could have been from.
Not to change the subject, but this happened to me once. A cast member offered to let me and my friends in the park for half of the price of admission. He said he was going to round up 6 people or something like that and then we would go in. I was almost going to turn him in but he went away. He had one of those books that cast members carry that they stamp at the gate.

RStar
10-08-2002, 07:38 AM
He may not have simply dissapeared, may have been arrested. There are undercover security out front monitering this type of activity. I saw one group of people nab someone doing that once, but it was very quiet. If I didn't know the security person doing it, I would have never even known that it happened. I almost blew their cover, but before I had the chance they motioned to me not to come over.

BJW
10-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by RStar
He may not have simply dissapeared, may have been arrested. There are undercover security out front monitering this type of activity. I saw one group of people nab someone doing that once, but it was very quiet. If I didn't know the security person doing it, I would have never even known that it happened. I almost blew their cover, but before I had the chance they motioned to me not to come over.
Nice to know Disneyland has undercover security. Hopefully they watch for other potentially dangerous situations in addition to ticket scalping. However, in my opinion, ticket scalping at a theme park by employees is never acceptable. I don't like the idea that employees are trying to get rich at the expense of the guests they are supposed to entertain.

BuenaVista
10-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Two comments about the "trying to get rich" thing.

Granted I do NOT condone this type of activity, and when I lived in Orlando I saw and heard about it going on (though not as blatently as a CM standing at the gate actually looking for people to let in).

First, they'd NEVER get rich doing such a thing. At best, they would score a few bucks. At worst, they would lose their jobs and face prosecution.

Second, why would that be at the "expense" of the customers? If anything, such a "scalper" would be doing the customers a favor by letting them get into the park cheaper.

That kind of activity is at the expense of the COMPANY, it seems to me.

Sorry, just a couple of picky thoughts.

Brad
10-09-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by bluepearl
I wasn't there at closing, but there was also some sort of altercation with the trams last night. It was around...let's say 7PM, at the structure loading area. There were two trams backed up, so our tram stopped right before the tree.

You know what....this is COMPLETELY off topic but your comment there has made me realize something VERY profound.

I am spending SO MUCH damned time on these futile useless message boards.

I am "cyber consorting" with people that refer to things like "so our tram stopped right before the tree" as if we ALL know about THAT tree.

Thank you for doing this-a light bulb just went on over my head that is more like a slap in the face. For us to know about "the tree" it means that we would have to be really QUITE obsessed with DL as a whole. A little more than I actually care to be(or fear to be).

Please understand this is NOT a flame but rather a post of personal revelation and thanks. I have JUST realized HOW MUCH time I spend partaking in these essentially useless(to the real world)discussions.

I have been to DL, WDW and the TDR and it was a lifelong dream realized.

Some things were what I thought they would be, some things were WAY beyond what I expected while still others were downright disappointing.

Tough.

Life goes on and in fact, my life is slipping away one day at a time while I sit here wasting it agonizing over whether Pressler's brick has been removed or whether DCA will EVER be worth the price of admission.

All of these things are COMPLETELY inconsequential to me, living here in Western Australia, tens of thousands of kilometres away.

Time for me to get a life.

BuenaVista
10-09-2002, 03:52 AM
Some folks just like to kick back and chat about stuff they are interested in.

Others don't, or think they shouldn't. C'est la vie. :crying:

BuenaVista
10-09-2002, 03:58 AM
Also, I personally don't see message boards such as this one as "futile" or "useless"...rather they are a great opportunity to chat with people who share similar interests, and at the same time give voice to your thoughts and concerns in a nice "forum style" kind of way.

On the other hand, spending "so much damned time" on ANY pursuit is not a great idea...and so perhaps it would be better if you were to spend less time doing it.

In any case, you sound kinda angry and frustrated, so maybe there is something wrong. You shouldn't do what you think is not cool, or not good for you.

Send me an email, if you want to. Sorry you feel so bummed. :(

mousey_girl
10-09-2002, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Brad
You know what....this is COMPLETELY off topic but your comment there has made me realize something VERY profound.

I am spending SO MUCH damned time on these futile useless message boards.

I am "cyber consorting" with people that refer to things like "so our tram stopped right before the tree" as if we ALL know about THAT tree.

Thank you for doing this-a light bulb just went on over my head that is more like a slap in the face. For us to know about "the tree" it means that we would have to be really QUITE obsessed with DL as a whole. A little more than I actually care to be(or fear to be).

Please understand this is NOT a flame but rather a post of personal revelation and thanks. I have JUST realized HOW MUCH time I spend partaking in these essentially useless(to the real world)discussions.

I have been to DL, WDW and the TDR and it was a lifelong dream realized.

Some things were what I thought they would be, some things were WAY beyond what I expected while still others were downright disappointing.

Tough.

Life goes on and in fact, my life is slipping away one day at a time while I sit here wasting it agonizing over whether Pressler's brick has been removed or whether DCA will EVER be worth the price of admission.

All of these things are COMPLETELY inconsequential to me, living here in Western Australia, tens of thousands of kilometres away.

Time for me to get a life.

Just a FYI, a lot of the users of this board (including BluePearl) are DLR employees and are there every day. So when you say that the people on this board are obsessed with the whole DL experience you are right. If it had to do with your livelyhood and was something you cared strongly about you would be obessed too, and then maybe you wouldn't feel it was so trivial. I am not trying to start a flame war in any way so please don't take my comments as such.

Bill Catherall
10-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Regarding undercover security in Disneyland:
We were eating a casual lunch at Cafe Orleans when suddenly, on the other side of some hedges, two men jumped another man, wrestled him to the ground, pulled his coat up over his arms to secure him and quickly carted him off stage while speaking into some walky talkies. They were dressed in plain clothes. So yes, Disney security will drop someone if necessary. I have no idea why they did this. It was a bit odd that the man they arrested was wearing a coat on a hot summer day. Perhaps a pickpocket or shoplifter. He sure was taken by surprise though. You should have seen the look on his face. :D

Regarding ticket scalping:
I was walking up to a ticket booth and was approached by 2 women who were trying to sell me their 3rd day of a 3 day pass for $20. I passed on the "generous offer," but they sure were pushy. I verified that the tickets were actually only punched twice (2 holes), and they had not signed them. With my limited understanding of how they work I wasn't really sure if it was a scam or if the tickets would actually work. But it didn't really matter. I don't like people doing that and I don't want to encourage such behavior by buying them.

Regarding Brad:
You can't blame the boards for your problems. ;)

TecTalker2K
10-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Give Brad a break. He seems to be a very unhappy individual. I have heard that Australian men are kind of.. uh.. well.. you know, I am sure there are many a crocodile out there for him to wrestle. ;)

Ghoulish Delight
10-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Regarding ticket scalping:
I was walking up to a ticket booth and was approached by 2 women who were trying to sell me their 3rd day of a 3 day pass for $20. I passed on the "generous offer," but they sure were pushy. I verified that the tickets were actually only punched twice (2 holes), and they had not signed them. With my limited understanding of how they work I wasn't really sure if it was a scam or if the tickets would actually work. But it didn't really matter. I don't like people doing that and I don't want to encourage such behavior by buying them.
This kind of thing I have less of a problem with. They clearly were not profiting off of this. They seem to have decided that 2 days was enough, wanted to cut their losses and leave. I once showed up with a friend of mine, and a family who had obviously purchased tickets for a large group beforehand (these were definitely face value tickets, probably purchased at the Disney store or something), had a couple people not be able to make it, and therefore sold us a couple tickets at half price. Again, clearly not profiting, just trying to cut their losses.

It's when people start selling tickets they got for free, and are therefore making a profit that I get bugged. That's shady and self serving and I don't like it.

On a parallel topic, Cadaverous Pallor and I used to be Magic Mountain season passholders. I don't know about now, but as of a few years ago, when you bought a MM season pass, they gave you a booklet with a bunch of coupons for various things. Anything from free parking, to mechandise, to discounted tickets for friends, even a couple free tickets for friends. Most of them expired at around the same time. There was a group of about 7 of us who all had passes. We were at the park one day and realized that a bunch of our free/discounted entrance coupons were going to expire soon and that we were not going have an opportunity to use them. So we went out front and started giving them away to whoever we could. After about 5 or 10 minutes, security came out to "bust" us. They were certain we were selling them, and we barely convinced them otherwise. They finally gave up, but still forced us to stop giving them away.

MammaSilva
10-09-2002, 08:41 AM
The SFMW coupon book has the same kinds of coupons and they have a big sign in front of the ticket booths warning about selling "admission media" but the other day we were going with a group and the group behind us had the same coupon...buy one get one free .. our group had 5 that needed to buy tickets their group had 3, so we split the cost of one ticket got the free one and both of us saved money .....but they don't like you giving away your freebie coupons that's for sure!

disguy
10-09-2002, 08:48 AM
Sunday for the first time I was approached by three different people offering me to buy there tickets. I thought about turning them in but I felt bad for them it didn't look like they were doing it to make a buck but more to get there money back as one there members didn't show up.

As far as Brad goes, that's his opinion. I really don't agree with him. I think of this place like a bar kind of like a "hang out" you meet new people every day possibly new friends and we talk about stuff we love. What is so wrong with that?

Ghoulish Delight
10-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by disguy

As far as Brad goes, that's his opinion. I really don't agree with him. I think of this place like a bar kind of like a "hang out" you meet new people every day possibly new friends and we talk about stuff we love. What is so wrong with that? It's an individual thing. If he felt that the time and energy he was spending here was causing him to neglect other aspects of his life that he finds more important, than good for him. No sense in beating yourself up over your priorities. I don't suspect he was judging anyone of us who does find this kind of socialization a priority, he just realized it was not a priority for him. And, if he did plan on not posting anymore, then it's better that he announce it, rather than just disappear leaving people who might want responses from him wondering what happened.

Lani
10-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Time for me to get a life. Bye, Brad. Western Australia is quite remote, but a beautiful place -- I can think of a lot of great things to do down there (starting with some great scuba diving). You're free to return and visit with us anytime.

tabacco
10-09-2002, 10:07 AM
If you see ticket scalpers, PLEASE PLEASE give either a nearby main entrance or security (<- preferable) CM their description and approximate location. A lot of times if the turnstile doesn't punch the ticket (or sometimes for other reasons), the ticket taker will date-stamp the ticket instead, and sometimes these stamps can be rubbed off to make it appear that the ticket has only been used twice so that the ticket can be sold. It always pains me to see really nice families that just paid $80 to "some guy" only to find out that they got cheated because the tickets are no longer valid. Then I have to tell them that I can't do anything about it except maybe report the scalper.

bluepearl
10-09-2002, 11:19 AM
I never gave thought to selling entrance tickets. To tell the truth, I can be a bit stingy about it in certain circumstances...people I knew in high school and other acquaintances that I haven't spoken to for years would ask and I know they'd just be using me for that.

Anyway, I found your post to be highly amusing, Brad. I merely considered it a detailed recount of my day at that point, which is a habit I have when retelling stories. My friends know this, it's why I take forever writing stories, but it's not like any of that matters to you. Okay, so this sort of thing happens often. I don't usually come across things like this, and alright, maybe even I have that annoying rubber-necking tendency. Everyone has a life outside of this message board; this happens to be a different facet. Enjoy rebuilding your life!