PDA

View Full Version : Things that were different than you expected

Brad
10-07-2002, 04:15 AM
Upon first walking into DL last year, I could NOT believe how close the castle was. I don't know whether it is the forced perspective or whether photgraphers use special lenses but in almost EVERY picture or show I have seen, the castle looks to be MUCH further away from Town Square.

I was almost shocked when I looked down Main Street and there it was-and it is SO small too. Yeah, yeah, I know-it's Walt's and it is precious the way it is, yada, yada, yada. Doesn't change the fact that when you see it for the first time, it is VERY small.

I must admit-the castle's size and it placement, RIGHT THERE in front of me really underwhelmed me.

Same deal with Tomorrowland(for a couple of reasons). Firstly, please remember that ALL my impressions of TL have been from my view masters that I pored over as a child in the seventies. Add to that images from tv specials and to me, TL was filled with AA wonders and ride througs(America Sings, Subs, Skyway, People Mover). Now, I DID know what TL had become but knowing and EXPERIENCING it are two different things.

The place is a ghost town.

Further, it is just boring.

The rotting and rusting PM track is an embarrassment to the Disney theme park name. Innoventions is flat out boring.

Funny because as a kid I ALWAYS said to myself-when I FINALLY go, my first stop will be TL. Now it is my last and there were days when I did not cross to that side of the park at all.

I LOVED my time at DL-I truly did. However it made me realize that the imagination of a ten year old boy, armed solely with a view master can be far more exciting and expansive.

BuenaVista
10-07-2002, 05:59 AM
You should write this topic on MouseInfo, you will have a better chance of having it slammed down and ripped to shreds by clueless *******s.

Most of the people HERE seem to have a clue, and therefore you will NOT hear lots of useless and nasty arguing against your well thought out and valid point.

What a bummer of a web site this is. Al Lutz should be ashamed!

:p

Bill Catherall
10-07-2002, 07:33 AM
BuenaVista - Here's a reminder of the Community Policies.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this message board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, libelous, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, an invasion of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. This can include the discussion of Web sites, as we believe MousePad is not the venue for criticizing other sites.
You just violated 2 rules. Don't criticize other sites, and don't use profanity (even if you self-censor).

And Brad...I think it's the forced perspective that makes the castle look further away in photos. If you notice, the buildings on Main Street get smaller as you get closer to the castle.

Ghoulish Delight
10-07-2002, 08:09 AM
You will get very little arguemnt here about Tomorrowland. The recent "updates" have been an absolute disaster. They decimated attraction space and replaced it with nothing more than an eatery, queue area for a problematic and ilconceived attraction, and a spinning tinkertoy. The new Tomorrowland was Pressler's budget vision of the future :rolleyes: And, as usual, we all got what they paid for. Believe me. Had the Tomorrowland that was captured in your Viewmaster still existed, the magic would still be there. I feel sorry for telling you this, because you never will get to experience it, but the old Tomorrowland really was all it was cracked up to be :(

Brad
10-07-2002, 09:57 AM
GD-that was one thing I loved about Tokyo's version-it was still the white, 1960's TL I grew up with in pictures. Sure AS and the other attractions were not there but just seeing the star jets and that decor made me feel like I had FINALLY seen Tomorrowland, the way I KNEW it should be.