PDA

View Full Version : Cost to Rent a Wheelchair? Any Wheelchair Tips?

FunMom
06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
My in-laws live in Orange County. When we visit each summer, they never go anywhere (except to restaurants) with us because my MIL cannot walk far - hip problems and has had back surgery. She has stubbornly refused to ride in a wheelchair insisting that she will look old in it (she's 82). Each summer, we take the kids to amusement parks - some years my parents come with us - but we always have to leave my in-laws at home. Life has been passing her by while she sits at home.

MIL has finally agreed to ride a wheelchair so she can come to DL with us this summer! Our kids are elated about the idea of actually enjoying an experience (other than a meal or playing cards) with her.

For how much does DL rent wheelchairs? Since MIL is rather inflexible, I'd like to have all my bases covered before we get there - Any tips for renting or maneuvering through the park with her in the wheelchair?

Malcon10t
06-08-2008, 07:49 AM
For how much does DL rent wheelchairs? Since MIL is rather inflexible, I'd like to have all my bases covered before we get there - Any tips for renting or maneuvering through the park with her in the wheelchair?Renting is $10 plus a $20 refundable deposit. If she is going to ride the rides, she can use the Handicapped entrances. Be aware, people will ignore the fact that she is in a wheelchair and will cut her off. They will be trying to race to where ever and regardless if it is a wheelchair or stroller, they will cut in front.

MammaSilva
06-08-2008, 07:54 AM
If your MIL would consider being independent and driving an ECV that would be the 'best' choice since no one has to push her but if you want to rent a manual chair they are less expensive. As for cost, this is Disney so keep that in mind that the rates can change over night, you can call the park for the current price just before you go. I'd strongly suggest that someone from your group be the 'advance party'...go thru the security and head for the park as fast as they can walk, get inside and rent which ever you've decided on and bring it back out to the security area. You can't take the park chairs/ECV's beyond the bag check area but your MIL can go thru security and sit and wait for someone to bring the chair to her. It's quite a walk even from the trams to the bag check to the gates.

As for going thru the parks...either method you chose be prepared, you suddenly become invisible. I don't mean to sound harsh but other people are so intent on their vacation, destination, getting to that dole whip or attraction that they really don't LOOK and will step in front of a moving chair then glare at you because you clipped their heels! Take things on a slower pace and enjoy the day and the memories of the grandparents being there with the kids.

Darkbeer
06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Current cost of an ECV at Disneyland $55 ($35 true cost along with a $20 refundable deposit).

Glass Slipper
06-08-2008, 10:13 AM
My mother is now 82, and on our trip last October we rented her a wheelchair at the Disneyland Hotel while we were there. She was able to keep it for the entire stay at no charge and it was wonderful! I was her "driver" (pusher :p ) and found it to be great exercise for myself, as well as being such a lifesaver for her. She was far less tired than in the past, and she was able to enjoy herself without worrying about trying to "keep up" with me. We didn't have much trouble at all with people running in front of us, other than a few children under 5 who wandered around without paying attention where they were going. The best part of all is that the CMs are so helpful to those in wheelchairs or other mobility issues! My mom has been using a cane for many years, and even before this last trip with the wheelchair, the CMs gave her first-class service! So needless to say, we highly recommend renting a wheelchair and will be using one again on our July trip!

FunMom
06-08-2008, 12:21 PM
If your MIL would consider being independent and driving an ECV that would be the 'best' choice since no one has to push her but if you want to rent a manual chair they are less expensive. As for cost, this is Disney so keep that in mind that the rates can change over night, you can call the park for the current price just before you go. I'd strongly suggest that someone from your group be the 'advance party'...go thru the security and head for the park as fast as they can walk, get inside and rent which ever you've decided on and bring it back out to the security area. You can't take the park chairs/ECV's beyond the bag check area but your MIL can go thru security and sit and wait for someone to bring the chair to her. It's quite a walk even from the trams to the bag check to the gates.

Great suggestion! Even though we've been through the parks many times, I realize that I've never before been to DL with mobilty issues in mind, much less braved the summer crowd with this new set of parameters.

Thank you to all who responded. Any additional suggestions welcome!

twindaddy
06-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Great suggestion! Even though we've been through the parks many times, I realize that I've never before been to DL with mobilty issues in mind, much less braved the summer crowd with this new set of parameters.

Thank you to all who responded. Any additional suggestions welcome!

Be sure to give us an update of how it went, when you come back!

Nonamia
07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I was just wondering if you need some sort of doctors note to rent a wheelchair? My friend has been in Costa Rica for a few weeks and has sprained her ankle pretty badly. We're still not too sure how it'll be when she gets here (we might need to take her for an x-ray :eek:) She's coming straight to Anaheim from there. But if it's just a matter of it being sprained and trying to keep weight off of it we were wondering what we needed in order to rent a wheelchair.

Thanks for any info you can share!!

Malcon10t
07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I was just wondering if you need some sort of doctors note to rent a wheelchair? My friend has been in Costa Rica for a few weeks and has sprained her ankle pretty badly. We're still not too sure how it'll be when she gets here (we might need to take her for an x-ray :eek:) She's coming straight to Anaheim from there. But if it's just a matter of it being sprained and trying to keep weight off of it we were wondering what we needed in order to rent a wheelchair.

Thanks for any info you can share!!No note needed (or accepted.) It is $10 per day plus a refundable $20 that you get back when you return the chair. She should see the doc and have it x-rayed and he will probably put it in a boot. Boots help A LOT. Using a WC in Disneyland is not fun. It is hard to manuver and people don;t see you. MDM was not supposed to walk for 2 weeks. After 2 hours in a WC at Disneyland, she got up and walked, she could not handle it. (She was in a walking boot, but had promised her doc she would not walk in it in exchange for him not putting her in a regular cast......)

Nonamia
07-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info! Now does anyone know the best place to go for an x-ray near DL? :(

jrsharp21
09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Are there outside companies you can rent wheelchairs from and have them dropped off at your hotel?

fronkfam
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I have been in contact with Deckerts and OC Medical Supply for our trip later this month. Both will deliver and pickup from your hotel. I don't have their contact info with me, but I'm sure a quick search in the archives will produce results.