PDA

View Full Version : The problem with a "Burton-ized" Haunted Mansion

Pony Sugrue
10-06-2002, 06:30 PM
While I think that DISNEY has done an admirable job; dressing the HAUNTED MANSION in a "NIGHTMARE" overlay, I think that Tim Burton's artistic style doesn't really mix well with the Marc Davis/Yale Gracy/Claude Coats art style. You have "Nightmare's" very abstract, simplistic, and neon-colored characters mixed in with the original dark, dingy, realistic (although slightly caricaturistic) Davis-styled characters. They shouldn't co-exist to the rider's view. They wouldn't place a Santa that looked like it came from "Pirates" in the SMALL WORLD's Holiday makeover. it would clash with Mary Blair's original simplistic style.

Something I always liked about DISNEYLAND is that each attraction has a style that it sticks with. For instance, the SNOW WHITE alligators/crocodiles do not look like the Crocodile in PETER PAN nor the alligator in "Pirates". They wouldn't take the laughing Hyenas from SMALL WORLD and place them next to the laughing Hyenas in the JUNGLE CRUISE. The styles clash. I don't know what WALT would have thought about all this, but besides the fact that I miss the traditional HAUNTED MANSION at Halloween now, I think they should just make a new separate dark ride for "Nightmare". Fans have shown that it would be a hit.

Of course, having said all that, I do like the fact that the "Mansion' is the center of attention again at DISNEYLAND. I hope the "Haunted Mansion" movie will help its popularity too.

Morrigoon
10-06-2002, 07:23 PM
But just like IASWH, if it was here all year round, it wouldn't be special.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Are they going forward with plans for more movies based on attractions post Country Bears?

Morrigoon
10-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Let's hope not.

I'm looking forward to seeing HMH with the new soundtrack (won't get to till MA week)

Brad
10-07-2002, 03:55 AM
Could somebody please post a concise ride thru description of the overlay?

I just picture lots of Jack Skellington's and dolls of that weird skinny girl everywhere.

Have they ACTUALLY replaced the AA's(temporarily-GOD forbid!!!!!)or is it just new AA's here and there?

BuenaVista
10-07-2002, 06:21 AM
WHAT??? You mean you didn't get your copy of the video from Santa-in-Ct?

You must have been naughty this year!!

By the way, it is REALLY cool. I especially like what they did with the stretch rooms (though I've heard it's different, and not so cool, this year) but the whole thing was great.

I agree with Pony...they should make a separate attraction. In fact, one of my ideas was to make a "duplicate" haunted mansion right next to the original, but not exactly a duplicate, more of a compliment. And call it "Jack's Mansion" or something like that and make a whole ride for the "Nightmare" while keeping the original intact.

Oh wait...sorry. That would require vision, and a generous budget...

My bad. :rolleyes:

Ghoulish Delight
10-07-2002, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Could somebody please post a concise ride thru description of the overlay?

I just picture lots of Jack Skellington's and dolls of that weird skinny girl everywhere.

Have they ACTUALLY replaced the AA's(temporarily-GOD forbid!!!!!)or is it just new AA's here and there? Check this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10033&highlight=spoiler) (spoilers ahead, folks).

To add to my ballroom description:

On the table is a large, "haunted gingerbread house", an AA of Zero being blown around by the lady blowing the birthday candles out. Also, this year, in the attic, they've added a bunch of those toy monkeys with cymbols. Creepiest thing ever, I love it!

To answer your question more generally, a few AA's are replaced here and there. A bunch of stuff is added. It's all very creative, and very vibrant. And the entire thing is temporary and reversable, just like Small World Holiday. It will run through early January when it will close again until February to convert it back.

cstephens
10-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BuenaVista
I agree with Pony...they should make a separate attraction. In fact, one of my ideas was to make a "duplicate" haunted mansion right next to the original, but not exactly a duplicate, more of a compliment. And call it "Jack's Mansion" or something like that and make a whole ride for the "Nightmare" while keeping the original intact.

Oh wait...sorry. That would require vision, and a generous budget...

My bad. :rolleyes:

I would completely hate this. As much as I like HMH, it doesn't belong year-round in any form. And as much as everyone screams about theming in other contexts, there's no place for a stand-alone Jack's mansion in that part of DL. The overlay makes sense because it's only an overlay. But Halloweentown doesn't belong in New Orleans Square.

Dean Higgins
10-07-2002, 05:34 PM
I think it is great the attention that the Mansion gets now, but I'm glad to see that someone sees faults with this "overlay" like I do. I too noticed the conflicitng styles last year. There is a blatant dis-regard for the original by just mixing it all together. I'd almost rather see them completely re-do it with "Nightmare" type decor (Temporarily of course) than try to integrate the two styles. Burton's Haunted mansion would look like something more akin to Toon Town than New Orleans Square anyway.

Woodpecker Planet
10-07-2002, 05:45 PM
I don't know what WALT would have thought about all this, but besides the fact that I miss the traditional HAUNTED MANSION at Halloween now, I think they should just make a new separate dark ride for "Nightmare". Fans have shown that it would be a hit.

Oh, but creating a whole new attraction would actually cost money. A significant amount in fact.

It sounds like they would be better off just creating a small temporary "haunted house" like Universal Orlando does with its Halloween Horror Nights.

MonorailMan
10-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Welcome to MousePad Woodpecker Planet!

Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) for MousePad rules and policies! :)

Also, if you choose to, please post something about yourself in our Introduction Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4218).

Again, Welcome to MousePad! :)

AliKzam
10-07-2002, 08:18 PM
I am against two near-identical mansions side-by-side, just as I am against two near-identical Space Mountains. But that's for another thread (and another, and another, and another...).
It's just, despite the damaging budget cuts, I give the Imagineers more credit than that. If there was to be a Nightmare-themed attraction in Disneyland (or any other park, for that matter), I would try and create something different from anything else in the park. Like a giant tree with a door with a jack-o-lantern or pine tree on the oddly-placed door.
But I do like the Haunted Mansion overlay. I, too, would prefer it to be an overhaul, but this will do, for now.

Morrigoon
10-07-2002, 09:18 PM
I'd like to see Toontown get its own HM - like the one from the Mickey cartoon, with those ghosts and little zaniness for the kiddos.

NBC as its own attraction would ROCK, but where oh where would they put it?
I suppose if they didn't mind expanding into backstage again, they could build an entrance past the FL theater (in that corner past the train station entrance), over or under the train tracks (I hope that's far back enough to get behind Toontown) and off to a show building where Circle D is now. Either that, or they'd have to boot parades out of the Mickey's house building and use that floor for the attraction, but I'm not sure that would work. 'Twould be cool though ;)
I'm picturing a queue that enters that forest area with the different holiday trees, and the line going into the Halloweentown one, then later in the ride, having the ride vehicles "return" to the glen (looks identical to but is not the original one) and go into the Christmastown door, then return to a "decked out" Halloweentown. This would create an NBC ride that goes better with Burton's music - but wouldn't you miss seeing the HM get all done up?

Cadaverous Pallor
10-08-2002, 12:45 PM
As for the "clashing of styles".....the way they present it is this:

The HM is legendary. Jack Skellington and crew have obviously heard of the Mansion and its happy haunts that have been there forever. Jack shows up for Halloween/Christmas and meets up with those residents and strikes a decoration deal. The haunts don't want to leave and let Halloweentown have all the fun - they stay for the party!

I like the idea that all of these spooky creatures are on the same "plane of existance". Much like in Monsters Inc., which includes all manner of scary monsters, from big to small, fuzzy to multi-limbed. What's scary has to do with what individuals think is scary - which means "scary" comes in all shapes and sizes.

I think all this is summed up in the tagline, "Jack's dressed up the Mansion for the holidays."

Besides, if Jack and Co. kicked out the current Mansion residents, where could they go? Aren't they stuck in that house forever? ;)

Pirate Bill
10-08-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure that it was ever meant to be a co-existence deal in the first place, but I could be wrong. To me, it looks like they're only working with what they already have, and did a great job with it. For the 'normal' Disney visitor, I'm sure these issues aren't even issues. Only the freaky AP's who know every corner of every ride (and love knowing it) who start thinking of better solutions than those Disney followed through with. Myself included of course. :D

It sounds like they would be better off just creating a small temporary "haunted house" like Universal Orlando does with its Halloween Horror Nights.
Isn't that what they're already doing (in a Disney way of course) with the HMH?? If you meant a 'real' walk-through type haunted house, could you imagine what that would be like if it were to appease the lawyers?? (hint, hint.. TSI).