PDA

View Full Version : Is Disneyland Replacing the Disneyland Railroad Trains?

Disneyfreak
10-06-2002, 11:19 AM
I was wondering since the railroad has been closed longer than I can remember, that they might be replacing the trains. But I doubt it though. Can anyone confirm? They might keep the cars but change the engine.

Not Afraid
10-06-2002, 11:24 AM
I would SERIOUSLY doubt that the engines will be changing. Maybe it IS time for some overhaul but the 4 old men will be back, chugging away as soon as the tracks are upgraded.

smd4
10-06-2002, 03:42 PM
The trains are not, I repeat NOT, being replaced. In the mid-1950's, it cost nearly $50,000 to build ONE locomotive! Imagine what that would cost now.

Steam locomotives are not like automobiles that need to be replaced every few years. With proper maintenance, they can run for decades. Witness DRR locomotive No. 3, Fred Gurley, which, having been built in 1894, has seen operation in three centuries!

Nigel2
10-06-2002, 08:49 PM
They might be replacing track, it's been done before so it wouldn't surprise me if that is why there is such a delay.

stitcher
10-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Nigel2 is correct. The track has not been done for quite a while and has been in bad shape as you might have felt. The trains should run much more efficiently after that. It seems to running a little late, but look for the trains to back up by next weekend.

Polar33
10-07-2002, 01:29 AM
Or the weekend after that. The newest CM reference guide claims that 10/25 is the current compleation date for the track rehab. I sure hope it's right this time.

adriennek
10-07-2002, 07:45 AM
DLR has been working on releasing a new engine for some time. Very very very sadly, on so many levels, the Ward Kimball was not released before the passing of the great man who inspired its name.

Adrienne K

smd4
10-07-2002, 07:54 AM
Maybe not as sad as it could have been, Adriennek.

Before his death, Ward was consulted on the looks of the new locomotive, suggesting color schemes and such. He was also supposed to have been involved in creating g the oil paintings that were slated to grace the locomotive's headlight, making use of some of his classic characters such as Jiminy Cricket. If these things were accomplished before his death, the new locomotive will be a fitting tribute.

MonorailMan
10-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Of they need to fix anything, it's the bulging cement on the Tomorrowland station. :)