PDA

View Full Version : Name Change on an AP

mowsluver
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I need to renew (tomorrow) my daughter's AP but we are in the process of getting her name changed. We do not want to wait to renew the AP because we will be using it this weekend as well as the fact that we won TSM previews.
Will DL give her a new card when her name is changed? We want to renew online to save some money (we will be renewing 4 passes) and I cannot find a number to talk to a 'real' person at DL for the answer.

Thanks!

yellowrosedtxn
06-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't have my AP with me, but isn't there a number on the back of the card that you might be able to call?

MKY4ME
06-06-2008, 09:26 AM
714-781-4000 and hit O and talk to a live person, they can direct you to the right place.

mowsluver
06-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the number! I called and was told that we CAN renew at the park and still save the $20....I hope she was right because tomorrow is the only chance of us getting them renewed before the Toy Story Mania preview!!

On the DL website it states that you save the $$ by renewing online and stated that the park price was $20 more....should I call back and maybe get someone different and ask again?????

oohykitten
06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Also just so you know...I got our AP the day we got married so I couldn't use my new last name on it. However on our trip after I just had to show my updated Driver's Licence and they updated it for free and printed a new card.

Jon
06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I got our AP the day we got married so I couldn't use my new last name on it. However on our trip after I just had to show my updated Driver's Licence and they updated it for free and printed a new card.

Yup, my GF had to do that for, er, the opposite reason. She just showed her new license at guest services and they printed her a new card.

ChurroGirl
06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I hope its that easy, we got our AP's in March and getting married in Nov. So when we go in Dec for the honeymoon I have to get that changed. On a seperate but related note, will the DMV change your last name for you before you get married?

HisKid
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I hope its that easy, we got our AP's in March and getting married in Nov. So when we go in Dec for the honeymoon I have to get that changed. On a seperate but related note, will the DMV change your last name for you before you get married?

You need to bring your marriage license, if I remember correctly. It was a big pain. THEN you need to do your social security card. Don't do them in the wrong order. If you do, you will rue the day. I'm just sayin.

ETA: You are in AZ. AZ DMV could be totally different from CA. I once was nearly arrested because I had my DL suspended because their system rejected my PICTURE when there was a glitch in the computer system, and they kept telling me they were "sending it" when I would ask where the heck my new DL went. This went on and on for months. At no time was I EVER notified. I got pulled over for because I had no front license plate (I had no idea at the time that this was even a law). I had to sweet talk my way out of the situation. Not that I am bitter or anything. YMMV, lol.

ChurroGirl
06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Darn then I will have to wait till Feb to change my AP. We are getting married on a Sat the 29th on Nov and leaving Sunday night for DL! I wont have time to change it! Oh well... So liscense first then Soc.. got it thanks!!

EmmasMom
06-07-2008, 07:55 AM
You need to bring your marriage license, if I remember correctly. It was a big pain. THEN you need to do your social security card. Don't do them in the wrong order. If you do, you will rue the day. I'm just sayin.

ETA: You are in AZ. AZ DMV could be totally different from CA. .

Actually in AZ you have to change Social Security first. At least that's how it was when I tried to change mine a few years back. MVD (AZ's version of of DMV) is linked to social security computer. Call to see if that is still true.

Also, be sure to check everything carefully before you leave the counter. MVD messed up both my driver license (spelled my name wrong) and car registration (VIN number) when I moved here from California. When I noticed the error they charged me to fix them saying I should have noticed it sooner.

Customer service at its finest!

ChurroGirl
06-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks ladies for the info, I will contact the Soc office to see what I need to do first and how soon I can get it done, etc.

sorry for getting the thread of subject!!!:D

DizneyMommy
06-07-2008, 05:34 PM
When I got married in 2002, I only had to show my marriage license in CA. No SSN. That took FOREVER so it was good they didn't want it. I don't think the CA DMV has anything to do with SSN's

HisKid
06-07-2008, 06:34 PM
When I got married in 2002, I only had to show my marriage license in CA. No SSN. That took FOREVER so it was good they didn't want it. I don't think the CA DMV has anything to do with SSN's

No, it doesn't, but if you try to change your SS card with the "wrong" ID, OY! That is where the issue comes in, IIRC.

ChurroGirl
06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
SO then what should I change first! My ID/DL or my Soc?? Now I am confused!!:confused:

HobbitFeet
06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
SO then what should I change first! My ID/DL or my Soc?? Now I am confused!!:confused:

I didn't change my name (nor did my husband, but now that his abusive father has passed away he's considering it) so I didn't experience this, but in 2 years of being engaged and using online message boards hearing of everyone else's experiences...every single thing I have EVER read (until here) said that SS is what you change first, always first.

But why not just call your local SS office to find out for yourself?

HobbitFeet
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Directly from the AZ DMV website:

1) How do I change my name on my driver license?
You are required by law to notify MVD of a name or address change within 10 days. We are required to verify your Social Security Number before your record can be updated, therefore you must first contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 for information on how to change your name on their records. After you have changed your name with SSA, wait two days for their computer system to be updated. You should then visit an MVD office to present identification in both your new and previous names. This must be an original or certified copy (must be certified by the issuing agency) of one of the following: Marriage Certificate/License, Divorce Decree, Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization or a court order.

This link: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/faqs.asp?section=dl#1

Same according to the CA DMV site:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#two504

Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change your name on SSA records before you make an appointment with DMV to have your name changed on DMV records. DMV electronically verifies your name, birth date and social security number with the SSA.

ChurroGirl
06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
WOW you didnt have to go to all that trouble!! Thanks though!! It just seems to be alot of trouble for such a simple act!!! I might have to reconsider this name change till later.....

Malcon10t
06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
If you delay, make sure you do it in time for taxes. It does a major number on your income tax return to file under the wrong name.

DizneyMommy
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
It really doesn't matter which you do first, at least in CA.
If you do the DL first, as long as you show the SSA your marriage license and your id with either your married or maiden name on it, it is fine. Those 2 things together are all you need. It is not hassle, or at least was not for me. I did the DL first and then the SSN just because that's what my schedule ended up like. And to be honest, if you do them in the same day then it is a non-issue.

HisKid
06-16-2008, 08:17 AM
When I posted about the difficulties I had, I neglected to mention that my issues were 7 years ago. Perhaps CA has ironed it's issues out thoroughly since then. I sort of doubt it, but it's possible. My guess is that some people get lucky, and others get extraordinarily unlucky. Once you are unlucky, and you get caught in a loop where one thing goes wrong, you are caught in a nightmare of beaurocracy, and that's I guess what happened to me. I'm glad to hear that others had a much smoother experience than I did, because it seemed that I was trying to do some very basic, simple, everyday procedures, and they were blown into requiring several half-days of sitting/standing in offices and running around to get these items accomplished. I would suggest that you contact the agencies yourself to double-check, and be sure you have exactly the right documentation, and order that they suggest.

yohomama212
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
When we got married 3.5 years ago I got the big packet of info from the state and the one little piece of paper in there I needed to order my marriage certificate. Sent for it, got it in a week. Once I sent for the mc, I went online and printed out the paper for the change of name on the SSN, had it ready and waiting for a copy of the mc. Sent it off, got it in a week. Took the mc and the new SSN card to the DMV and got my name changed there. Took a bit longer to get my new card but I was able to retain my old card with a hole punched in it.

I haven't had to change my name on my AP but as far as upgrades and adding parking to it, it's been quick and painless and everyone is so nice!

Elizabeth

Katlovett
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
When I posted about the difficulties I had, I neglected to mention that my issues were 7 years ago. Perhaps CA has ironed it's issues out thoroughly since then. I sort of doubt it, but it's possible. My guess is that some people get lucky, and others get extraordinarily unlucky. <respectfully snipped>
I think it depends on what DMV clerk you end up with. Some of the clerks make up rules that don't really exist. When I divorced 15 years ago, I added my maiden name but kept my exhusband's last name as a middle name (I was not given a middle name at birth) because we had 3 minor children and I didn't want "are you really their mother?" hassles when I signed them up for school, took them to the emergency room, etc. The first DMV clerk I spoke to insisted that I couldn't have two last names. I responded that I certainly could, like Laura Ingalls Wilder or Hillary Rodham Clinton. She didn't back down but neither did I; I am a lawyer and I know the laws about legal name changes. Ultimately I ended up having to talk to her supervisor, who "retrained" the employee on this issue.

When I remarried 9 years ago, I added my new husband's last name to the other last names (total = three last names LOL.) The DMV clerk on that occasion - at a different DMV, because we had moved - had no problem with it, although he did insist on seeing an original embossed marriage certificate before adding my new husband's last name. He did not ask to see any Social Security Card or give me any grief about my name not matching my SSN info.

About a year ago when my children from my prior marriage were all adults, I dropped my exhusband's last name by showing the same original embossed marriage certificate, a certified copy of my birth certificate, and the original file-stamped divorce judgment. The DMV clerk's attitude was basically, "Hey, call yourself whatever you like as long as the names show up on some official government document like a birth certificate or marriage certificate or a court order."

Maybe I am lucky that I live near a DMV that doesn't freak out about the "your name must match the personal information on file for your social security number" rule.

Katprint

evrythngwmn
06-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Wow, you must have quite the AKA in the DMV files.

AVP
06-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I think it depends on what DMV clerk you end up with. Some of the clerks make up rules that don't really exist.... The first DMV clerk I spoke to insisted that I couldn't have two last names.You must have gone to my DMV because I had the exact same problem. I had actually married a few years earlier, but since the DMV sent my renewal license to the wrong address (we had filed a change of address, but they still sent it to the old address) I wound up in the DMV without an appointment on my birthday and so decided to go ahead and do the name change.

The old biddie there informed me that "in my day and age, women who loved their husbands took his last name," and flat-out refused to allow me to have a hyphenated last name.

After little-miss-blue-hair dropped that bombshell on me, I decided to come back and deal with her later - it was my birthday and I had plans that did not involve getting into a knock-down, drag-out confrontation with the dinosaur and her supervisor.

AVP