PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and Thanksgiving?

crazladedi
10-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Hi all, I'm Diana, and am new here :o) I have a question about going to Disneyland on Thanksgiving Day.....anyone know if it is a crazy day there, or is it less crowded with the theory that most people are home having Thanksgiving Festivities? I heard last year was pretty Dead, but some thought maybe it had to do with 9/11...any input would be appreciated, Thanks :o)

YuriJjang
10-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi & welcome to the boards :)

I'm pretty new here too. I'll be there during thanksgiving weekend also. I've heard that Thanksgiving and (especially) the day after Thanksgiving are pretty crowded. I guess I'll find out for myself in... less than 2 months!!! :D

Morrigoon
10-05-2002, 03:05 PM
The good news is the DLH does a fantastic holiday buffet in their ballroom. If Thanksgiving is anywhere near as good as the Easter I went to a couple years ago, you'd do well to attend.

(Hint: if ya don't mind eating WAY early, get in on the first seating - they only seat half the room at a time it seems, and walking in you've practically got the characters to yourself!)

YuriJjang
10-05-2002, 05:52 PM
I was looking into that as well. When I called they quoted me at 52 for the ballroom buffet. Wow, but I didn't know it was with characters too! :D

Morrigoon
10-05-2002, 07:31 PM
And strolling musicians too!

Neverland Princess
10-05-2002, 07:48 PM
I hope it's not too crowded. My Family and I will also be there that weekend. Anyone else having Thanksgiving at DL? :)

disneynut
10-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Boy, it looks like everyone might have the same idea this Thanksgiving....we'll be there too. We're having a big family get together at DL that day and weekend.

PurpleDove33
10-06-2002, 03:36 AM
I have an AP, but about 6 of my friends wanted to try going to DL during that time. We went to Ca Adventure the day before Thanksgiving and it was so so. And we went to DL the day after Thanksgiving. And you know when the park opens at 8am and main street is wall to wall people at 8:15am you know its going to be a tough day to get thru the crowds. And several CM's tell me that is one of the most crowded days they have. But we still had a lot of fun anyway. But be prepared for a major amount of people to be there.

Klutch
10-06-2002, 03:44 PM
As for attendance, Bob Sehlinger's 2003 Unofficial Guide to Disneyland indicates you can expect very close to 60,000 people in the park each day over Thanksgiving Weekend.

To put things into perspective, consider that just before Thanksgiving crowds are at 20,000 per day and just after Thanksgiving, with the lowest daily attendance all year, about 17,000 are at Disneyland. Those low attendance numbers last only until Christmas and New Year's when the highest attendance all year kicks in at up to 77,000 people in the park on one day (whew!).

Of course, you can't predict what will happen each year, but I've been reading the Unofficial Guide books for years and those attendance figures have stayed constant.

Consider that just about everybody who has relatives in So Cal visits on Thanksgiving and Christmas and when they do, they go to Disneyland.

I guess if you don't care about crowds, it would be a swell time. If you want to avoid long lines and throngs of people, waiting until just after Thanksgiving would be the absolute best option.

Morrigoon
10-06-2002, 04:18 PM
I would surmise that the day AFTER Thanksgiving can be predicted to be worse than the day itself, however.

tod
10-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Thanksgiving in the Park is active, but not crowded, in my experience.

The Hotel ballroom feast last year was a [allusion to Asian group activities deleted]. We had a "reservation," which entitled us to pay our $50 per and join a long line behind the walk ins who heard about the feast in conversation in the park. We found this out from the people around us, most of whom were equally amazed that (1) we had reservations and (2) we were locals. After about 40 minutes of waiting in line I sent Mrs. Tod to Goofy's to size up the line there, and upon finding out that Goofy's was $25 cheaper and half an hour sooner we decided [deleted] the "feast," we want to eat before Christmas, so we got a refund from a harried CM who refunded our money without any questions, went to Top Brass for a good stiff belt of holiday cheer (the little Todsters had strawberry smoothies) and then had a very nice dinner at Goofy's instead.

I recommend you keep this in mind if there's a long line at the Hotel feast this year.

--T
all censorship self-imposed in the interest of good taste

Morrigoon
10-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Again, first seating of the holiday buffets is a great idea - everything's new, fresh, and less crowded.

mad4mky
10-06-2002, 07:39 PM
It's funny how everyone has a different take on the crowds at Thanksgiving.

The year I went...it was the most crowded day I have ever been to at Disneyland, besides a September day the season the Main St. Electrical Parade was to "glow away forever...":rolleyes: ...oh and New Year's Eve.

It was soooo crowded that Thanksgiving...
If you expect light crowds...forget it. Good thing...all the characters are out in full force.:)

Davideo
10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
Throwing in my two cents....last year we went to DL for Thanksgiving and had dinner at The Storyteller's Cafe in the Grand California. It was a buffet and really, one of the best Thanksgiving meals I've ever had. It was crowded but not a madhouse (oops, should I delete the reference to the resting home for the mentally unbalance??).
Much cheaper than the grand ballroom and a great meal. No travelling musicians, but then again I'm one of those people who actually finds that a blessing.

YuriJjang
10-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Awww, but my gf (and I admit I do) love the characters :) Getting excited already! Doh, need to focus on school work :P

MonorailMan
10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Welcome to MousePad crazladedi!

Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) for MousePad rules and policies! :)

Also, if you choose to, please post something about yourself in our Introduction Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4218).

Again, Welcome to MousePad! :)

tstan70
10-08-2002, 09:38 AM
A good way to tell if it is going to be crowded or not is to look at the Deluxe annual pass blackout dates. Since there are only 45 blackout dates listed, these are probably anticipated to be the 45 busiest days at the park. Listed are the following holidays: Pres. day, Memorial Day weekend, days surrounding 4th of July, Labor day, THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, and between Christmas and New Year's. The rest of the days listed are Saturdays between March and August.

I am going with my family a few weeks before Thanksgiving and hoping that the crowds will be A LOT smaller, although the hours at the park are listed to be longer since it will be the weekend before Veteran's day.