PDA

View Full Version : The safety tape is gone!

WizKidRyan
10-05-2002, 09:23 AM
It seems the park may have listened to...well something. That annoying safety tape around the Fantasyland drinking fountain is gone :-)

cemeinke
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Heh heh - or a certain MousePadder's personal "refurbishment" project has been successful. ;)

teri
10-05-2002, 11:38 AM
:cool: Excellent.

Pixie Glitter
10-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Yahoo!!! I am SO glad that hideous tape is gone! It's amazing how much it was bugging me when it's such a little thing--one of those "it's the principle of it" things, I guess. :-)

disguy
10-05-2002, 02:11 PM
I noticed that last night. Fantastic! Maybe it's that pressler is gone???

newhdplayer
10-05-2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Heh heh - or a certain MousePadder's personal "refurbishment" project has been successful. ;)

Thats the ticket. If you don't like something, fix or change it yourself. Walt used to do the same.

cstephens
10-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Thats the ticket. If you don't like something, fix or change it yourself. Walt used to do the same.

Yes, but with Walt, it wouldn't have been considered vandalism.

justagrrl
10-06-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Yes, but with Walt, it wouldn't have been considered vandalism.

Ironically, I'm sure many considered the "safety" tabe vandalism in it's own way. ;)

RStar
10-07-2002, 09:40 AM
Did they do anything to it to make it safe to remove the tape? Like different color paint to make the steps more noticable?

tabacco
10-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Did they need to? I'd hardly call those steps a hazard.

innerSpaceman
10-07-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Maybe all it takes to start a revolution is a little covert guerilla action. What may be vandalism to some is repair work to others. Either way, the restoration of the steps is the Park's best improvement since the Small World facade. Here's to many more improvements to come! Well, I can dream, can't I?

Uncle Dick
10-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Maybe all it takes to start a revolution is a little covert guerilla action. What may be vandalism to some is repair work to others.
I'm sure our dear ol' friend "Ebola Man" (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ebola+man+group:alt.disney.disneyland&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=789fvs%24hk4%241%40holly.prod.itd.earthlink.n et&rnum=1) would agree with you. :rolleyes:

RStar
10-07-2002, 03:14 PM
I think you have something there, UD. Maybe they should check his room for stolen safty tape!;)

Tabacco, yes a person could trip on those steps. Not while using them, but walking by in a crowd at night. they are a bit hard to see, and I guess some one fell and hurt themselves promting the action. Disney has been sued so much I almost don't blame the Lawyers for over reacting. Almost.;)

Morrigoon
10-07-2002, 03:54 PM
Let's face it, the only real way to stop this is to change the legislation to restrict frivolous lawsuits.

RStar
10-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Amen!

cstephens
10-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Let's face it, the only real way to stop this is to change the legislation to restrict frivolous lawsuits.

Ahhh, but then the lawyers could take all kinds of time arguing over what constitutes "frivolous"...

Morrigoon
10-07-2002, 06:22 PM
The legislation would not say "we prohibit frivolous lawsuits" - it would have to pertain specifically to which types of lawsuits it considered frivolous. It might not protect Dis on the steps issue, as language protecting that would also protect more blatantly hazardous protrusions.

But, to give an example, when I was 8, a friend of mine hurt herself in a McDonald's playground. This was not due to faulty or dangerous equipment so much as the nature of our play (we were playing on something that was the equivalent of a teacup that just spun in place - hardly a menace to the safety of the nation's children). However, this particular friend comes from a cultural mindset of "if I hurt myself, it's someone else's fault and they owe me money". A couple months later the McDonald's in question lost the really cool merry go round.

I understand suing if, say, you're on a boardwalk that breaks and you fall through the floor, or something not properly fastened on the exterior of a building comes loose and hits you on the head, or even if something sharp is sticking out from a wall and is both hazardously sharp and difficult to see, but I have a real problem with people who hurt themselves due to their own negligence and then blame someone else. Catering to that mentality is lowest common denominator thinking and can retard progress.

If you're in a vehicle with seats and lap bars or belts, and you stand up because you find a way to - it's your own fault if you get hurt. Too many safety signs or warnings at once cause one to ignore them completely, so the proliferation of safety signs is both ugly and pointless. Disney should not have to state the blatantly obvious - neither should the owners of shopping carts.

Laffite
10-07-2002, 08:08 PM
So the safety tape is gone, maybe Eisner is next?

AliKzam
10-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
...we were playing on something that was the equivalent of a teacup that just spun in place...

I loved those things! We had one at a McDonalds where I used to live. I always begged my mom to take me to that McDonalds. She did, once. It was so much fun! Eat food...spin...lose food...beg mom to buy more food...spin...repeat!