PDA

View Full Version : What did your parents do?

Pages : [1] 2

TecTalker2K
10-04-2002, 09:01 PM
The guests from Hell thread closed but an idea popped into my head before I had a chance to post it. I am pushing 50 andI probably grew up when most of your parents did. What were your parents up to when they visited Disneyland. Remember, this was a tieme of free love and unbridled uh...well, it just was. i think the CMs of the 60s and 70s have a lot of interesting stories to tell.

AVP
10-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
What were your parents up to when they visited Disneyland.

My parents rode rides and had a wonderful time in a wonderful family park. My husband's father worked in a wonderful family park, delighting children. If your intent in starting this thread is to solicit raunchy stories, please think again. The other thread was closed for a reason, and it's not all that hard to do again.

AVP

HBTiggerFan
10-04-2002, 09:36 PM
My parents went on rides, ate at restruants, people watched, enjoyed the atmosphere of a wonderful family park. They later took me with my grandparents when I was very young and they took home movies of us going on rides, eating at restruants, trying to catch me running from characters, trying to comfort me while I was staring at Mickey like he was gonna eat me all at a wonderful family park.

FabShelly
10-04-2002, 09:40 PM
My parents dressed up to go to Disneyland. They loved dancing to the big bands at Carnation. Dad liked, and still does, scary, fast, roller-coaster rides. Mom liked to bring a book to read while we went on the rides.

They bought popcorn, held hands (I have a picture around here somewhere), went on rides, watched shows and parades, and had fun.

That's what Disneyland was about then, and that's what it's about now.

Michelle

cemeinke
10-04-2002, 09:53 PM
My Dad went for the Jazz in New Orleans Square (especially when Satchmo was there).

My Mom mostly liked to hang out and people watch, though she also liked to pick up exotic turkish or egyptian cigarettes from the Tabaco Shop (when it existed).

Morrigoon
10-04-2002, 10:15 PM
My dad was 13 when he went opening day - he was with his mother, so I'm sure he behaved himself ;)

SoCalSnowWhite
10-04-2002, 10:16 PM
My grandparents took all six of their children to the park in '62. They went on rides, ate popcorn, listened to the band. They've passed along their love of all things Disney to their grandkids and great-grandkids.

cstephens
10-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
What were your parents up to when they visited Disneyland.

My parents never visited Disneyland before all of us kids were born.

Not Afraid
10-04-2002, 10:47 PM
I have no idea. The moved to CA the year I was born. So all trips to DL were all about me!;)

Lani
10-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
My Dad went for the Jazz in New Orleans Square (especially when Satchmo was there). He played at the park? Wow! You learn something new everyday. :)

MammaSilva
10-04-2002, 11:02 PM
TecTalker2K....you are only a few years older than I am......

As for my parents... their very first and ONLY trip to Disneyland together was as chaparones for my Senior Grad Night back in '73....my Mom however took me and my little sister several times in the late 50's ...

The trip they made together was cool...they did their time in the Chaparone tent then off to enjoy the park...we met up early morning and Dad and I went on a couple rides, Mom's feet were tired so she sat at the hub and people watched.....I've tried to get them back since then but as much as I love them.. they are muggles :(

AliKzam
10-05-2002, 12:23 AM
My dad went in the 50s with his parents, once. That would've made him anywhere between 10-14. His favorite memory is Roy (the portly guy from "The Mickey Mouse Club". That was his name, right?) drawing his picture. He has that charicature somewhere, we're just not sure where. But we have a pretty good idea.
I think my mom went when she was a kid, but I haven't heard any stories. I wonder if she went there for grad nite?

ErikBsandiego
10-05-2002, 08:01 AM
My father had grown up in a family that had limited means and which had traveled around the country a bunch. While my grandfather was a good man, his wanderlust and restlessness created an instable family life for my father and brother.

Thus when he became a father, he was tremendously committed to his family. Our yearly trips to "Finkyland (My dad loved to change words around to amuse his children) were special times and one my father enjoyed tremendously. I still remember coming over the pass on I-5 South and, as we then worked our way through the greater LA basin, looking for the Matterhorn Mountain to appear. My father would be there right along with the kids - looking for the Moutain to appear to let us know that we had arrived at the happiest place on earth.

TecTalker2K
10-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by AVP
My parents rode rides and had a wonderful time in a wonderful family park. My husband's father worked in a wonderful family park, delighting children. If your intent in starting this thread is to solicit raunchy stories, please think again. The other thread was closed for a reason, and it's not all that hard to do again.

AVP

I was thinking mnore of getting locked out of the park becase they had long hair or were they part of the group that took over Tom Sawyer Island. I was not looking for lewd and raunchy stories.. but if you have any, you can e-mail me. :)

TecTalker2K
10-05-2002, 08:15 AM
My parents never went on their own and only once when I was with them. Disneyland was a waste of money. Believe itor not, when everyone was into free love, I was terminally conservative and never did anything in the bpark but eat popcorn and ride the rids. I did howeve have this thing about restrooms. I new where everyone of them was so I was a good addition to any group. Kind of like a deginated driver. It wasn't until lately that I became perverted. Ha ha ha ha.

TecTalker2K
10-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by AVP

AVP

The open exchange of thoughts and ideas no mqatter how out of the box they are is always good. It is what keeps our country alive. It is what maes Disneyland a living place. The reason the thread was closed was because it started to get too personal and I agreed with the moderator that the time had come to close it.

HBTiggerFan
10-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by mammasilva
.....I've tried to get them back since then but as much as I love them.. they are muggles :(

My parents are muggles too, my dad way more than my mom. I haven't gone with both of them since I was 3 or 4.

80s Babe
10-05-2002, 10:24 AM
Ok, I'll admit my ignorance...what's a muggle? :o

My mom went to DL with her parents in the 50's. My grandparents were rather low on funds so they only bought tickets enough for my mom to ride. She loved the park but it was hot (summer trip) and she was lonely riding all alone. :( Maybe because of this she goes with my kids and I every chance she gets.

EandCDad
10-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 80s Babe
Ok, I'll admit my ignorance...what's a muggle? :o

I think it's a Harry Potter reference for an "unbeliever" or someone "not on the inside." I'm sure someone else will give a fuller explanation, I haven't read the book, but that's my understanding.

Here's a definition from the

Harry Potter Lexicon (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/muggle.html)

""Muggles" are non-magical people in the parlance of the Wizarding World. Muggles are for the most part oblivious to the entire society of magical people which exists alongside their own. Part of the reason for this is that Muggles simply don't believe that magic exists, which means they find non-magical reasons for the things that happen to them."

I think in context of Disney it would be people who aren't Disney-philes or Disney-crazy or who consider Disneyland a theme park and nothing special or magical. An example of a muggle in terms of both Harry Potter and Disneyland would be me.

MouseWife
10-05-2002, 11:07 AM
We didn't go to Disneyland until I was about 4 or 5. While this is great for me, I am the youngest and this means that everyone else was at least 3 years older than I was.

Anywho. It was a grand family event. The ladies wore big hats to protect them from the sun, nice clothes, and shoes with heels higher than I think comfortable.

Dads wore button up shirts and slacks. The kids wore pant suits {agh!} or dresses {think Brady Bunch}.

My mom mostly people watched while my dad rode the rides with us. My sister and I took turns sitting next to him. :) I must say, I rode with him on the Matterhorn as it was scary. :)

They enjoyed the bands and we all enjoyed the dancing. My parents would slow dance and I remember thinking it was very romantic.

We didn't really buy souveniers, although I do remember getting maybe a few dollars to buy something.

It was a special place to us, my dad enjoyed sharing it with his mother, when she came out from the South.

Later they wouldn't go with us as she hated the place and he had a bad heart and legs.

And, I never did anything naughty there. :o

dsnyredhead
10-05-2002, 11:19 AM
I know my parents used to go from time to time.

My mom once walked all over Disneyland with a broken toe (don't think she told my dad until afterwards) just because she just really wanted to be at Disneyland that day. :)

They've been there a number of times since, in the 70's, 80's, 90's and the last time they were there was about two years ago.

stinkerbell
10-05-2002, 02:47 PM
My parents took me for the first time when I was 19 months old. My dad had been many times before, being a So Cal. kid, but my mom had never been to Disneyland. My grandparents had some sort of annual or military pass, because they went to DL a lot in the 60's and 70's. My aunt and uncle were (duh, are) just 10 and 14 years older than me, so they were just kids when I was born, so I just grew right into the group who went often. Thank goodness!

On my first trip, apparently, we spent a lot of time on Casey Jr. and following around Pooh, who was very scary looking, from the pictures we have of him that spring. :(

Um, my dad was a "free spirit" back then, so who knows what he and his friends did at Disneyland before my mom and I were in the picture. ;) I'm sure he was up to no good at some point. Hmmm, maybe I can get some stories out of him. Goodness knows that the older we get, the more stories he has.......

HBTiggerFan
10-05-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Um, my dad was a "free spirit" back then, so who knows what he and his friends did at Disneyland before my mom and I were in the picture. ;) I'm sure he was up to no good at some point. Hmmm, maybe I can get some stories out of him. Goodness knows that the older we get, the more stories he has.......

My cousin was a "free spirit" back then and got into all sorts of trouble... Hes got a pic of himself and his frineds in the Capt. Quaters lying in the gold on PotC. :eek:

Morrigoon
10-05-2002, 03:27 PM
The shortened definition would be people who just don't "get" the whole Disneyland thing. They don't understand why we're so nuts about the place, nor do they really visit the park all that much.

Muggles are non-magical people.

EandCDad is not a muggle no matter how much he pretends.

Klutch
10-05-2002, 04:51 PM
My dad worked in a store at the Disneyland Hotel in the 60's. He said he was forever sweeping up hair in the nearby Men's room. Since there was a strict dress and hair code at the Disneyland gate back then, "long-haired" guys would walk accross the street and buy toy scissors at the store. They would cut their hair over their ears in the Men's room, thus leaving a mess for my dad to clean up.

My dad also said during his orientation he was told, "Walt often makes rounds all over the park. If you see him, never address him as 'Mr. Disney'. Always call him 'Walt'." Alas, I don't think Dad ever saw him.

Dad also said he got a behind-the-scenes tour of some of audio-animotronics, which were pretty new and hi-tech at the time.

My mom said she saw the Osmonds as young lads at Disneyland. She thought it was quite cool when I showed her my "Disneyland After Dark" DVD, which features some very young Osmond Brothers.

Man, it must have been SO cool to live in So Cal back then.

As I mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago, I too have a cousin who used to get rowdy in the park, or so he claimed.