PDA

View Full Version : HMH music: Change it back!

Pages : [1] 2

Kuzcotopia
10-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Well, this seems to be what I feared. The music has been changed in Haunted Mansion Holiday, and not for the better.

I guess nothing is too good at Disneyland that it can't be mucked up by more cooks adding just a lil something extra that ruins the mix. And since it's "The Danny Elfman's" music, it can't be put back without ticking off a celebrity and his fan base.

Here's a quote and a link.

"There's something magical that grabs you, and it's not there now- and the Scarols don't even begin to be a substitute." -Michelle Smith

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID112500-112504.asp

I'm a Danny Elfman fan, myself. I was going to Boingo concerts before some MousePadders were alive. But I saw how magical the music was last year, and I knew that you NEVER mess with something that works that well. It's like getting John Williams to write a new score for the Lion King, or John Irving to rewrite the Harry Potter books. Never mess with something that creates that kind of magic, unless you're damn sure you can capture lightning in a bottle a second time.

cemeinke
10-04-2002, 07:22 PM
I have to say I agree with you. While I think the Elfman score is good and certainly a better stand alone music piece (I found it running through my head all day today), I don't think It's as effective in conveying the mood of the makeover.

The old score was a better soundtrack to the ride. It built the mood and set the tone much better. I think each room stood out more distincly with it's individual track. I loved the eerie off-key children-in-the-distance end of the stretch room and the snotty fa la la la's of the plant. I really miss the Grim Grinning Ghost tune in the graveyard as well.

Perhaps the new score will grow with me, but after 3 turns last night I still missed the first.

mkyears
10-04-2002, 08:17 PM
I don't know guys I rode it twice today and liked it better than last time. I felt like it was missing last year. I guess it's all in your own opinion.

FabShelly
10-04-2002, 09:36 PM
If Elfman, who is a genius, had specifically written a score for the attraction, I bet it would have been great.

Unfortunately, they just used the soundtrack from the film. It does lack magic.

Michelle Smith

BiggJakeMoney
10-04-2002, 09:41 PM
The new soundtrack was crap. I love Elfman, but would a little originality on his part have killed him here? He just shoehorned a few instrumental selections from the NBC soundtrack into various rooms, and the result is pretty "meh." In some places it's just there, it doesn't really fit, and it doesn't establish each room's identity like last year's did. Plus, it's dreary. It takes away the energy and the frenetic feel that last year's make-over had. The previous score was much more energetic and whimsical.

All in all, a change made for the worse. Hopefully, Disney actually does read these boards, and changes it back to last year's soundtrack. I miss it.

cstephens
10-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by BiggJakeMoney
Hopefully, Disney actually does read these boards, and changes it back to last year's soundtrack. I miss it.

As much as I like last year's music better, I doubt that even if Disney monitored these boards, they'd change the music because of the comments of a few posters on one discussion board.

cemeinke
10-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
As much as I like last year's music better, I doubt that even if Disney monitored these boards, they'd change the music because of the comments of a few posters on one discussion board.

How about several more posters on other discussion boards? The opinions seem to all be leaning in favor of last year's soundtrack.

But thanks to the internet, a CD Burner, and a portable CD player you too can have the old soundtrack. Bless those Disney pirates.
:cool:

Not Afraid
10-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
How about several more posters on other discussion boards? The opinions seem to all be leaning in favor of last year's soundtrack.

But thanks to the internet, a CD Burner, and a portable CD player you too can have the old soundtrack. Bless those Disney pirates.
:cool:

Hey, honey. Wanna bring the CD Walkman to DL tomorrow?:)

WizKidRyan
10-04-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Hey, honey. Wanna bring the CD Walkman to DL tomorrow?:)

Could get a bunch of us to show up all toting tape players, walkmans, mp3 players, etc with last years music and storm city hall :-)

And I agree. The music this year, while cool, was just "meh" as BigJake put it. The graveyard scene totally disapointed me. Last years was like a big party and whatnot, and this years it was more of "get me out of here".

And I want the mayor back in the boarding area!

Kuzcotopia
10-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Sorry, Michelle, didn't mean to quote you in your own presence!

It seems rude of me. I'm sure you can speak for yourself!

Kuzcotopia
10-05-2002, 12:27 AM
I really miss the Grim Grinning Ghost tune in the graveyard as well.

That alone is a HUGE loss. Grim Grinning Ghosts BELONGS in the Mansion. The Mansion isn't the Mansion without it.

This is the Haunted Mansion, not the Nightmare Before Christmas Ride.

I wonder if reaction to it this season will be just so-so, prompting Disney to think it was a one-season fluke, and discontinue it. When all along, it was that the music didn't convey the proper emotion and sense of fun.

cemeinke
10-05-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
I wonder if reaction to it this season will be just so-so, prompting Disney to think it was a one-season fluke, and discontinue it. When all along, it was that the music didn't convey the proper emotion and sense of fun.

I doubt that. The overlay is still pretty good fun and this year they seem to have the merchandise in place. I suspect they'll make a lot more money this year than last and we can expect to see this as another Holiday tradition.

Ghoulish Delight
10-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Ghoulish Deligth slinks into the room and very meekly says....I like the new soundtrack....

Well, at least I like elements of the new soundtrack. To start, I LOVE the scarols. I thought that set the mood perfectly. People may disagree, but I think the mood for the overlay should be the mood of the movie. Last year's mood was too silly and cheery. It was NOT the movie's mood. The scarols could have easily been straight from the movie. Halloween's genuine, but misguided attempt to replecate Christmas. I still have them in my head.

Now, I think the graveyard music needed something different. Last year's could have worked, whatever, but I do agree that the graveyard music didn't quite work. But having "Kidnap Sandyclaws" as the score was perfect. Again, a far less cheery mood. I don't want cheery! I want Nightmare Before Christmas!

So, in summary: An original Elfman score would have been the best. I liked the mood that this score sets. The scarols were perfect. The graveyard needs work. It doesn't HAVE to be Grim Grinning Ghosts, sorry Kuzco. An overlay is an overlay. They don't sing "It's a Small World" during Small World Holiday, so why sing GGG during HMH? I wouldn't object to it being GGG, but it doesn't have to be. Just SOMETHING other than what they have now.

TheMur
10-05-2002, 09:36 AM
I didn't have the pleasure of experiencing the original overlay last year but I will be down at the Grand Californian for a conference the week of October 21. I look forward to seeing it.

Not having experienced it last year, I am curious as to what my reaction will be.

I do find it funny that so many posters last year complained about the music - How could they not use music from the movie. Danny Elfman has to be involved.

Now that they did it, at least the early posters are mad that it is not the same as last year!

WickedQueen
10-05-2002, 09:37 AM
Another small voice in voicing my pleasure at this year's music....

I nearly squealed in delight when I heard a snippet of "Kidnap Sandy Claus" in the portrait room.

The music isn't perfect this year, but last year I found the lack of Elfman music the only flaw in an otherwise perfect ride. The music still could be done better, but I personally found it a big improvement over last year.

And the scarols are hysterical!

cemeinke
10-05-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I don't want cheery! I want Nightmare Before Christmas!

Now this I don't understand. To me Danny Elfman's NBC/HMH music is very poppy and show tuney - not dreary, sinister, or spooky. If anything, the new music seems less sinister to me.

Perhaps the division breaks down on one's familiarity with the movie soundtrack. I've seem the film twice and my experience with the soundtrack probably doesn't go much beyond that. So for me there's no connection to the lyrics (which certainly are more sinister).

It seems those of you who are most familiar with the movie soundtrack are the one's who prefer the new version. Those of us less familiar with the soundtrack tend to like the first score (which became ingrained into our skulls as just the right music for the event).

Kuzcotopia
10-05-2002, 10:31 AM
What I object to, and what it seems Disneyland's thinking fell victim to, is the idea that ANY soundtrack with Elfman's music in it would be better than ANY non-Elfman soundtrack, no matter how good.

Last year before I went, I too was miffed that the movie music was nowhere in the ride. But after I rode it, my mind changed immediately. The music was SO good, and paced perfectly to each room. I knew then that this was no mere background music, this was a full musical show-stopper that was worked and worked to fit the pace and feel of the ride.

I guess for some people, the still had a nagging feeling that it could be better with Elfman's music. I also know that some Nightmare Before Christmas fans are a bit (ahem) fanatical. I think maybe they are pleased, but at the expense of those who perhaps *don't* dye their hair black and file their canines.

Anyone else here who wanted the Elfman music until they heard it in the ride?

hgf1ower
10-05-2002, 11:57 AM
i LOVE nightmare before christmas. when i heard they were doing hmh last year i freaked out and was very bummed cause i didn't get tickets for the event. but i was there at 6 am for the cast preveiws, and i was there for my bday (since you all know this is disneyland's birthday present to ME) and i thought the music was great, but i missed elfman.
this year i did get to attent the event, had a great time with all the anticipation and was a little disappointed. i think it's cause i rode it obesisvely last year.
i'm siding with the 'half last year, half this year' thing. cause i thought the music for last year's elevator was much creepier. those kids freaked me out. and i thought last year's seance and graveyard scene were much better. i love 'kidnap' in the hallways though.
but is anyone else annoyed with the spanish safety spiel?? it cuts into the whole narration. i was very bummed by this :( and does anyone else hate the people put out in the ques to make people sing along with the scarols?? if they are going to be a permanent addition, i don't think i could bear waiting in line for this ride. the scarols themselves i think are very cute, but easily ignored if not in the mood.

dingdong2U
10-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
So, in summary: An original Elfman score would have been the best. I liked the mood that this score sets. The scarols were perfect. The graveyard needs work. It doesn't HAVE to be Grim Grinning Ghosts, sorry Kuzco. An overlay is an overlay. They don't sing "It's a Small World" during Small World Holiday, so why sing GGG during HMH? I wouldn't object to it being GGG, but it doesn't have to be. Just SOMETHING other than what they have now.
Umm, Ghoulish Delight... Unless they changed "It's A Small World Holiday" for this year, they DO sing "It's A Small World" alternating with "Jingle Bells" on the ride. Can someone back me up here?

--- Mike (who wants the old music back too!) :-(

FabShelly
10-05-2002, 12:34 PM
Sorry, Michelle, didn't mean to quote you in your own presence!

It seems rude of me. I'm sure you can speak for yourself!

Are you kidding? I'm honored!

Michelle

EandCDad
10-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dingdong2U
Umm, Ghoulish Delight... Unless they changed "It's A Small World Holiday" for this year, they DO sing "It's A Small World" alternating with "Jingle Bells" on the ride. Can someone back me up here?

--- Mike (who wants the old music back too!) :-(

I got your back. I think you are right, unless I'm just remembering wrong. It is a different sounding "It's a Small World" as it has a more "holiday" feel.

FabShelly
10-05-2002, 12:38 PM
Now this I don't understand. To me Danny Elfman's NBC/HMH music is very poppy and show tuney - not dreary, sinister, or spooky. If anything, the new music seems less sinister to me.

Perhaps the division breaks down on one's familiarity with the movie soundtrack. I've seem the film twice and my experience with the soundtrack probably doesn't go much beyond that. So for me there's no connection to the lyrics (which certainly are more sinister).

It seems those of you who are most familiar with the movie soundtrack are the one's who prefer the new version. Those of us less familiar with the soundtrack tend to like the first score (which became ingrained into our skulls as just the right music for the event).

No, I had an advance tape of the soundtrack demos and listened to that til it was saran wrap. Then the film came out and I got a tape of that and listened to that until it was saran wrap. Then I got the CD and still have it. I know the score backwards and forewards, even the parts cut out.

It doesn't fit. Elfman should have written a score for the attraction.

Michelle

FabShelly
10-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Anyone else here who wanted the Elfman music until they heard it in the ride?

Me! Me! Pick me!

Kind of.

I wanted Elfman to use the NBC soundtrack as a guide to write a new soundtrack for the ride - create it especially for the ride - which didn't happen.

I miss the music from last year.

Michelle

Cadaverous Pallor
10-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BiggJakeMoney (emphasis mine)
I love Elfman, but would a little originality on his part have killed him here? He just shoehorned a few instrumental selections from the NBC soundtrack into various rooms, and the result is pretty "meh." Elfman himself was not involved in adapting the music for the mansion. They had other people take Elfman's NBC tunes and wrap them around the ride.

Ok, I think cemeinke is more right than anyone on this - it has to do with what you're a fan of. I love listening to the NBC soundtrack at home and know it decently well. The music from last year's overlay, however, is not really in my memory, since I didn't buy (or burn) a cd of it. So to me, getting Elfman's music in there was key. After all, a huge part of NBC's wonderful quality was the music, and they didn't even include it at all last year.

I do agree, though, that last year's music worked well. And the music in the graveyard this year was a bit jumbled and jarring. I was happy to hear Elfman's inspiration there, but it wasn't done well enough. So I was a bit let down, but not that much.

The scarols are good fun. I wasn't in love with the "warm up" CM in the queue, since he acted like a lounge singer. "How ya doin'? Welcome to the Mansion. Everybody sing!" If he had acted creepy instead, I would've been much happier. As it was, he was this close to saying out loud "I'm a CM in a suit and makeup!" He should've have acted like the living dead, not Bill Murray's lounge singer character.

Dingdong - Please excuse GD and I if we don't know the IASW overlay so well. He actually asked me if that was right before posting it. I agree with what he said, but as it is, we avoid that garish red and green monstrosity all winter. So if you say they sing the original tune too, I'll believe you.

But I agree with GD - the overlay is an overlay, and if you want to hear GGG, you show up at a different time of year. They still use a bit of GGG in the graveyard though, just like they did last year! We're obviously huge Mansion fans, but we love the transformation into "the Nightmare Before Christmas Ride".

Not Afraid
10-05-2002, 03:31 PM
OK. I just listened to last year's HMH soundtrack and I am officially sad. It was a really good composition! I can still listen to it and re-live the ride. I don't hate the new one, I just don't think it really works with the ride the same way last year's did.