PDA

View Full Version : opinions/knowledge on Summer Pass upgrade

olegc
06-02-2008, 03:15 PM
So today's MP Disneyland Update had the information about the new Summer Fun Pass - $99 for a three day park hopper. It's only valid 6/16 through 8/30 BUT can be upgraded to an Annual Pass.

So - here is my question. If it is a three day park hopper at a discounted price of $99 (only available to so cal residents, btw) does it still carry the face value of a traditional three day park hopper (189)? If so - then that means I essentially can save about $90 on an annual pass at this point, right?

Any thoughts or knowledge - please pass along (btw - the DLR's website discounts count as regular park hoppers, so those make upgrades cheaper too. I called and asked).

Boo's Mommy
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't know for a fact, but I highly doubt it. I think you'll only get the $99 credit towards a pass, but hey, it's still worth it!

AVP
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I am fairly certain the ticket will have a $99 face / upgrade value, but I am checking for you.

AVP

AVP
06-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I've confirmed that the face / upgrade value of this ticket is $99.

AVP

AVP
06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Also, just to clarify. The Terms and Conditions state that the ticket may be upgrade TO an Annual Pass, not that it can be used to upgrade an EXISTING AP.

You are allowed to buy one and use the $99 face value to upgrade to an AP (and that's a really easy sell - $30 more and you have yourself a Southern California Select AP good for the rest of the year).

You are NOT allowed to use the $99 face value to upgrade an EXISTING AP. You can't use the ticket on 3 blockout days and then use it to upgrade your SoCal pass to a Deluxe.

AVP

olegc
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Also, just to clarify. The Terms and Conditions state that the ticket may be upgrade TO an Annual Pass, not that it can be used to upgrade an EXISTING AP.

You are allowed to buy one and use the $99 face value to upgrade to an AP (and that's a really easy sell - $30 more and you have yourself a Southern California Select AP good for the rest of the year).

You are NOT allowed to use the $99 face value to upgrade an EXISTING AP. You can't use the ticket on 3 blockout days and then use it to upgrade your SoCal pass to a Deluxe.

AVP

I understood the new vs existing AP thing - but darn it I was hoping for a face value of regular (the online discounted tickets count as face). Oh well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to check.

oh, and So Cal AP is not really rest of the year if you can't use it all summer (it's for my daughter's boyfriend - she has a deluxe and he wants to match).

Autopia Guy
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I understood the new vs existing AP thing - but darn it I was hoping for a face value of regular (the online discounted tickets count as face). Oh well.

Uhh, you get the amount you pay for as your credit. Only time this might be different is if you buy discounted tickets from work or through some kinda charity auction and the price that is printed on the ticket is different from what you did pay.

And AVP is correct on the upgrade things. Just be aware that if you do upgrade your ticket to an AP, it is BACKDATED to the first date of use of that ticket.

Oh, and a little hint for you here. Get the summer fun pass. Then on the third day of the pass, upgrade it to a SoCal Select AP. As you are upgrading a ticket to the pass, it will be backdated, but you still get into the parks on the day of the upgrade. Then when you go again on a Blockout Day, the current $40 ticket is the same cost as the upgrade to the SoCal AP, and you still get into the park on that day as well. Then when you go again, if it is still blocked out that day, upgrade to the Deluxe AP and get in again. Yes, it takes 5 visits and you do go through a couple of months of use before you get to the final level of pass that you wanted, but it is getting that Deluxe with out paying that full $259 cost outright.

olegc
06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh, and a little hint for you here. Get the summer fun pass. Then on the third day of the pass, upgrade it to a SoCal Select AP. As you are upgrading a ticket to the pass, it will be backdated, but you still get into the parks on the day of the upgrade. Then when you go again on a Blockout Day, the current $40 ticket is the same cost as the upgrade to the SoCal AP, and you still get into the park on that day as well. Then when you go again, if it is still blocked out that day, upgrade to the Deluxe AP and get in again. Yes, it takes 5 visits and you do go through a couple of months of use before you get to the final level of pass that you wanted, but it is getting that Deluxe with out paying that full $259 cost outright.

ok - so in trying to do the math here..
1) I pay 99
2) i pay extra $30.00 to get it to So Cal Select (129)
3) i pay the extra $40.00 the next visit to get to So Cal (169)
4) I then pay the extra 90 to get upgrade to Deluxe from So CAl (259)

so - 99+30+40+90 = 259 - the price of a deluxe. Where did I save money?

That was my whole point of the question. There is no discount here - the printed value is $99 so it's just cash value to an upgrade of another pass of equal or greater value.

if I buy the online version of a 5 day $194.00- I save $40.00, the printed value of the ticket is still 234 and I pay an extra $25 to get the Deluxe. $219 instead of $259.

AVP
06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
if I buy the online version of a 5 day $194.00- I save $40.00, the printed value of the ticket is still 234 and I pay an extra $25 to get the Deluxe. $219 instead of $259.Are you sure? I specifically asked about this and was told that those tickets are all printed with the price PAID.

AVP

VickiC
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
1) I pay 99

You save money if any of the above days were block-out days.

Malcon10t
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
if I buy the online version of a 5 day $194.00- I save $40.00, the printed value of the ticket is still 234 and I pay an extra $25 to get the Deluxe. $219 instead of $259.That isn't how it works. You only get what you actually paid for the upgrade. That is what will be printed on the ticket. The 5 day ticket will be printed with $194.00 on it.

There is a way for this discount. I buy 3 day hoppers at the credit union for $154. They are printed with teh regular 3 day online price of $169. When we upgrade them tomorrow to Deluxe APs we will get the $169 value and save $15 on the deluxe passes.

olegc
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Are you sure? I specifically asked about this and was told that those tickets are all printed with the price PAID.

AVP

well, I guess we again have a case of different CMs with different info. I wish they could for once get one story right across the board.

Now - did you ask about the Online tickets on Disneyland.com, or just the $99 summer fun pass. The summer fun pass is probably marked - but the CM on the phone from the ticket office told me that the multi-day tickets are standard tickets but discounted online. So they should be OK.

My work (IBM) has this too. I buy a discounted multi-day parkhopper, but the ticket is marked with a standard price.

Autopia Guy
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, I work in the ticket booths at the DLR, so Im hoping to help you get it all correct here. Sorry if my explanations are not coming out too well.

1) I pay 99

That was my whole point of the question. There is no discount here - the printed value is $99 so it's just cash value to an upgrade of another pass of equal or greater value.

Correct, there is no Discount in what I suggested you try to do. But it does allow you to spread out the cost of the Deluxe over the course of a month or two. Though it is of no help really if you are planning on going ever other day or so. Might as well go for the Deluxe outright then.

if I buy the online version of a 5 day $194.00- I save $40.00, the printed value of the ticket is still 234 and I pay an extra $25 to get the Deluxe. $219 instead of $259.

The ticket would actually show that it was purchased Online and come printed with a value of $194 as some have already said.

There is a way for this discount. I buy 3 day hoppers at the credit union for $154. They are printed with teh regular 3 day online price of $169. When we upgrade them tomorrow to Deluxe APs we will get the $169 value and save $15 on the deluxe passes.

Yes, that is what I was trying to describe earlier. You get the printed value, even if you didn't actually pay that value.

olegc
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks Autopia Guy. I appreciate your detailed explanations!

Dr. Shrinker
06-11-2008, 01:07 PM
And AVP is correct on the upgrade things. Just be aware that if you do upgrade your ticket to an AP, it is BACKDATED to the first date of use of that ticket.

Last time I upgraded a parkhopper to an AP, they dated it from the date of our SECOND visit (which is when we upgraded).

HisKid
06-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Last time I upgraded a parkhopper to an AP, they dated it from the date of our SECOND visit (which is when we upgraded).

Odd. This is not what I have heard to be the general rule. Perhaps they made a mistake, and you got lucky?

corona
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Where does one upgrade a ticket/pass?

yohomama212
06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
The ticket booths outside the parks or at the Passport office inside DL.

Elizabeth

DangerMouse
06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Where does one upgrade a ticket/pass?

The Bank on Main Street.