PDA

View Full Version : I never got to ride...

Brad
10-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Alice, Dumbo, tea cups and SBL boats/Casey Jr.

Also never saw Lincoln but I heard that the redux sux anyway.

Brad
10-04-2002, 11:04 AM
I guess I only really lament not riding Alice and SBLBR-since they are more like classic attractions.

I rode the tea cups in Orlando and Dumbo just seemed weird having to line up with all those kids.

Like I said, I heard Lincoln was appalling and I did the Drew Carey thing at MGM anyway(same diff.).

Can anybody please give me a rundown of what you see in Alice and what the landscape of SBLBR is like? What castles/miniatures do they show?

LegolandMC
10-04-2002, 11:08 AM
Are you kidding???? The new Lincoln redo is AWESOME!!!!! I didn't like it before the redo, but now I love it!

Ghoulish Delight
10-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Brad
I guess I only really lament not riding Alice and SBLBR-since they are more like classic attractions.

I rode the tea cups in Orlando and Dumbo just seemed weird having to line up with all those kids.

Like I said, I heard Lincoln was appalling and I did the Drew Carey thing at MGM anyway(same diff.).

Can anybody please give me a rundown of what you see in Alice and what the landscape of SBLBR is like? What castles/miniatures do they show? Alice is my favorite of the standard dark rides (I make that distinction, only because HM can be considered a dark ride, and I'm not counting it). A general list of the scenes (in no particular order, and not necessarily complete): Rabbit hole, singing flowers, Catepillar, Mad Tea Party, Painting the roses red, the queen's court, croquet, running from the card soldiers, the open air section on the leaf track (which MAKES the ride). So much good stuff. Wonderfully colorful and cheery. It really captures the movie well.

As for SBL, you see Monstro (obviously), Agrabah and Jasmine's castle, London Park, the home of the 3 little pigs, Cinderalla's castle, a giant patchwork quilt from an old Merry Mellodies, Pinocchio's village (my favorite scene of the ride), Prince Eric's castle from the Little Mermaid, King Triton's castle (albeit an obscured view throut water), windmills from the Little Dutch Boy. I'm sure I've missed one or 2 things. Oh, I almost forgot the best part. You get to see giant ducks and crows raveging the poor defenseless villages :D :cool:

Sorry to say, you missed out on two of the best elements of Fantasyland. SBL is one of the most magical experiences in the park, especially if you get a CM who enjoys their job. As for Lincoln, that's a toss up. If you've seen the Hall of Presidents, you didn't miss much. But, if you haven't seen either, while the new storyline/use of technology is kind of lame (imo), it's worth it to see the AA figure. It's pretty impressive, especially keeping in mind when it was made.

Brad
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately I never got to see HoP since they were installing George W(That man tried to kill my daddy)Bush. It came online the day we left and by the time I got to the park they had already started their last show.

Oh well-next time.

Alice and SBLBR will DEFINITELY be on the agenda for NEXT time.

I heard that a twilight cruise on the boat ride is very nice.

hbquikcomjamesl
10-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Personally, I wouldn't say that any particular version of Lincoln is better than any other version.

Personally, I never got to ride the mules, stagecoach, or viewliner (they were before my time), and I didn't get to see CoP until I went to WDW.

And I never got to ride Autopia (but then again, I only had the inclination to do so once, and it only lasted halfway through the queue).

mousey_girl
10-04-2002, 11:46 AM
The last time we road SBL we were in line behind a very large group of out of control kids.

There were at least 10 kids 5 & under and only 3 adults. The adults were so busy talking to each other they failed to watch the kids (pet peeve).

When we got to the loading area I was able to talk to one of the loading CM's and pleaded with her to let us wait for the next boat.

She not only let us wait she was the guide on the next boat!! She was great!

She let The Boy sit on the back of the boat, confused the heck of the poor kid. He didn't understand why he didn't have to sit in the seat between mommy & daddy. I just kept my hand on him for balance.

I am no longer a big fan of the ride but The Boy loves it. He even made us stand in line for over an hour to ride it. :rolleyes:

Brad
10-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Mousey Girl-you and your son sound like darlings.

I hope I ALWAYS have families around me at DL like yours.

One thing I cannot stand are these out of control kids with parents that just smile those wan smiles at you like......"Isn't our child adorable?"

I feel like saying......."No-he is a demon and you are idiots for letting him control your life."

mad4mky
10-04-2002, 12:06 PM

I feel like saying......."No-he is a demon and you are idiots for letting him control your life."

Sounds like the little precious ones in Europe. I saw more bratty kids there, then I have ever seen at DLR.:(

I like the new Lincoln. I almost always fell asleep in the old one. Although I do miss the song about the two brothers...which made me teary eyed every time I heard it. It was also good for my kids when they were studying the civil war.

Alice...two of my kids favorite ride at DLR. And, it isexclusive to DLR. I like that. When I was a kid, I loved going in the caterpillars and going down the leaves...

SBL...cute...but passable if too crowded. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy it...but if I miss it, I am not going to cry...:)

hbquikcomjamesl
10-04-2002, 12:49 PM
a giant patchwork quilt from an old Merry Mellodies[sic]Uh, that's kind of unlikely: the Merrie Melodies were (and are; a new one gets made every few years) a product of Warner Bros. animation. The Giant's Patchwork Quilt is from a Silly Symphony (the same Disney series that included The Three Little Pigs, Flowers and Trees, The Skeleton Dance, and Goddess of Spring); specifically from Lullaby Land (which I have on the Silly Symphonies DVD, but which I haven't actually seen yet)

justagrrl
10-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
S
Alice...two of my kids favorite ride at DLR. And, it isexclusive to DLR.

That's an interesting tidbit of knowledge. Makes me like it more somehow. :)

Ghoulish Delight
10-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Uh, that's kind of unlikely: the Merrie Melodies were (and are; a new one gets made every few years) a product of Warner Bros. animation. The Giant's Patchwork Quilt is from a Silly Symphony (the same Disney series that included The Three Little Pigs, Flowers and Trees, The Skeleton Dance, and Goddess of Spring); specifically from Lullaby Land (which I have on the Silly Symphonies DVD, but which I haven't actually seen yet) Ooops, slip o' the fingertips there. Merry Symphonies, Silly Melodies, it's all the same ;)

mad4mky
10-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
That's an interesting tidbit of knowledge. Makes me like it more somehow. :)

Well, I sort of messed up that spelling, didn't I?!:( Hmm...I like it the way I wrote it...

**and since it's been over a half hour...it's stays...;)

Matterhorn Fan
10-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I'm sure I've missed one or 2 things. Oh, I almost forgot the best part. You get to see giant ducks and crows raveging the poor defenseless villages :D :cool:You missed Toad Hall.

Kuzcotopia
10-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Don't they say in the spiel that the Patchwork Quilt is from "The Vanishing Prarie"?

Or am I mis-remembering it.

And thumbs-down on the new "This is Stereo" Lincoln. Thanks for introducing me to the 1950's technology that is Stereo Recording, Imagineering. Er.... got anything in that bag of tricks that will surprise somebody from THIS century?

Gemini Cricket
10-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Alice, Dumbo, tea cups and SBL boats/Casey Jr.

Also never saw Lincoln but I heard that the redux sux anyway.
I think you should ride Alice sometime. It's done quite well. It's also amazing to me how much they fit into the seemingly tiny space the ride takes up. I could be wrong. It seems tiny...

Storybookland Canal Boats - you should see how well manicured the tiny trees, plants are. It's cool.

Tea Cups and Casey Jr. you could skip... you don't see much on Casey and the Tea Cups can make you irretrievably dizzy.:eek:

Ghoulish Delight
10-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
Don't they say in the spiel that the Patchwork Quilt is from "The Vanishing Prarie"?

And thumbs-down on the new "This is Stereo" Lincoln. Thanks for introducing me to the 1950's technology that is Stereo Recording, Imagineering. Er.... got anything in that bag of tricks that will surprise somebody from THIS century? While I agree that Lincoln is a bad example, to be fair this is a little bit more than stereo. It's binaural recording. Beyond just recording on two audio channels, they simulate the auditory environment of the human head. What this does is record the audio with the audio clues that your brain uses to interpret distance, location, volume, etc. When played back, even though the audio always comes from headphones right next to your ear, your brain picks up those audio clues and then interprets them as real sound. It fools your brain the same way 3-D movies do. Given an environment a little more compelling than a haircut and photo portrait, it's can bring you just that much closer to realism.

Not Afraid
10-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia

It's the quilt of the Sleeping Giant.

Sailor Butterfly
10-07-2002, 09:10 AM
The new Lincoln show is alright, I was a tad disapointed that you only see the president for what seemed like 30 seconds. :( But the effects were neat.... Alice was one of my favorites when I was younger, I love the finale. :D I had the fortune of going on SBLC early in the morning, just a quick walk on. This was the first time I've ever been to the park and experienced it when it first opens. :)

I have yet to ride the Matterhorn. :eek: The first two times, I was too scared and the last two times I was either too tired or the 'horn was down.

roberts1398
10-07-2002, 02:08 PM
We were there for 5 days, off-season, and still missed a ton of things! Missed Tom Sawyer's Island (don't know how that happened with a 7 yr old who was dying to go there -- little that is still open -- other than that my feet were always too tired to contemplate it). Missed Astro-Orbitors. Missed the Jolly Trolley. Missed Golden Horseshoe and Billy & the Hillbillies. Missed tons in DCA. Missed Millionaire (and I was DYING to go there ... time just got away), missed Grizzly (procratinated about getting wet), the Tortilla Factory and Boudin. Missed Maliboomer. Missed Golden Dreams. Missed all the shows except for Buzz. Sheesh, where does the time go? I guess we re-rode our favorites a few too many times, lol!

Ghoulish Delight
10-07-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by roberts1398
We were there for 5 days, off-season, and still missed a ton of things! Missed Tom Sawyer's Island (don't know how that happened with a 7 yr old who was dying to go there -- little that is still open -- other than that my feet were always too tired to contemplate it). Missed Astro-Orbitors. Missed the Jolly Trolley. Missed Golden Horseshoe and Billy & the Hillbillies. Missed tons in DCA. Missed Millionaire (and I was DYING to go there ... time just got away), missed Grizzly (procratinated about getting wet), the Tortilla Factory and Boudin. Missed Maliboomer. Missed Golden Dreams. Missed all the shows except for Buzz. Sheesh, where does the time go? I guess we re-rode our favorites a few too many times, lol! Wow. What DID you do with 5 days? I've done that much, and more, in a SINGLE summer weekend day!

Well, at least you got to do what you really wanted to do, at a leisurely pace I'm sure. Better than stressing out and being absolutely sure you've hit everyitng.

roberts1398
10-07-2002, 02:41 PM
LOL! We did Splash, Pirates, Indy, Space, Star Tours and Soarin' about a million times! Plus spent a lot of time pin trading, which we are now both fully addicted to, LOL!

I can't complain. He had a ball and is now a full fledged Disney Fanatic like his mom, and we are both loaded with a lifetime of memories. That was the purpose of this trip. And if he wanted to ride Star Tours one more time instead of doing Astro Orbitors, so be it! They say repitition is really good for kids, so he definitely got that!!!

It was hard -- I had to keep reminding myself this wasn't the time to compile statistics, or even check off attractions seen. But rather the time for him to have fun and to have quality time together. And that we did! Hooray. Wish I was still there...

hbquikcomjamesl
10-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Last night, I saw a few of the Silly Symphonies on the DVD, particularly including Lullaby Land.

The cartoon itself concerns a trip through a very small child's dream-world, beginning with a literal interpretation of "Rock-a-bye-baby." When the cradle falls from the treetops, the baby finds himself in a dream world in which the landscape looks like a patchwork quilt. Among the flora the baby encounters are a plant that dispenses baby powder, and another that offers nipples (shaped like traditional baby-bottle or pacifier nipples, not like mom's . . . ). At one point, the baby enters a "forbidden garden" in which a fountain gushes black ink (to be slurped up by giant fountain pens), and various animated sharp implements cavort with each other. The child encounters a tree that bears pocketwatches, and an open bin of hammers, and proceeds to gleefully smash the watches; then he climbs into a giant box of matches, and narrowly escapes the resulting fire. Eventually, he encounters the Sandman (whose likeness appeared in a very early merchandising tie-in, a framed nursery picture that was shown in a featurette on early tie-in merchandising, also on the DVD), who scatters his magic sand, causing the baby to fall asleep in the dream-world, and subsequently wake up back in the real world.

Essentially, the quilt in Storybook Land is simply based on the background landscape of the child's dream world in the cartoon. There isn't any sleeping giant involved, or if there was, I missed it.

Unfortunately, I also discovered that the second volume of the set has a flaw that garbles two of the most historically significant cartoons in the whole collection (Skeleton Dance and Flowers and Trees) to the point of making them completely unwatchable. Hopefully, it won't take me very long to obtain a replacement.