PDA

View Full Version : Ground transportation and scooter

friscotexas
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello! My husband and I are taking our 2 yo daughter and 6 yo son to Disneyland this weekend (June 6-8). This is a special trip but could be difficult. My husband has brain cancer (recently diagnosed) and has some mobility issues. I need advice on two issues.

1. We are arriving at Ontario and need transportation to the Grand Californian Hotel. Does anyone have advice on the best option?

2. We are renting a scooter from outside company (will be delivered to the hotel). Does anyone have advice on access? I've read the official Disneyland access information but would appreciate real-world hints.

Thank you!

stan4d_steph
06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Check out this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=88436) and other referenced there for info on transport from Ontario Airport.

MammaSilva
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Sorry I can't help with the transportation from the airport but I'm happy to share what I can about mobility issues using an ECV. You've made a wise decision to rent outside the resort so you have the scooter for the entire stay. When you check into the hotel the scooter will be waiting for you usually with the bell captain. If it were me, I'd actually stop at the Bell desk first and request it so your husband has it for the entire check in process and getting to your room.

I've never stayed at the Grand, I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel several times. The ECV's fit into the elevator and they fit in the rooms depending on the configuration. Be sure to bring an extention cord to make sure you can plug it in each day to charge the batteries. All of DCA is wheelchair/scooter accessible to include California Screaming (there is an elevator). Disneyland has a few queues that are accessible but for the most part they don't. In Fantasyland you need to go to the exits and wait for a CM to give you boarding instructions, the one big exception to this is Peter Pan, the exit is very very tight and they usually ask that the scooter (ECV) is left outside the gate but you can walk up the exit to get the attention of the CM at the loading area so they know your group is supposed to be loading from that area instead of the regular queue. The trains now have HCA cars that you don't have to transfer off/out of your scooter to ride.

When you go to eat do not hesitate to ask CM's for assistance, they are more than happy to lend a set of hands whenever they can.

If there is any thing else I can help with please feel free to ask here or PM me.

HisKid
06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Also, I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. Best of luck to you, and prayers on their way.

Toocherie
06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Just a note that at the Grand Californian you go to the concierge desk rather than the bell desk to retrieve the scooter rented from an offsite company. Also, getting into the "secret" DCA entrance is easy; getting to DTD and Disneyland a little harder--but there are ramps, just hard to find and maneuver through. (At least for me!) They are on the left from the main lobby.

AVP
06-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing from your post that your husband is only going to really need the scooter to/from/in the parks, not inside the room, correct? My personal experience is that the Grand Californian rooms are tight for a wheelchair, even the "accessible" rooms. The other problem I remember is that the ONLY wall plug not inside the bathroom was in a hard-to-reach spot, so don't hesitate to ask housekeeping to plug in the cord for you

Have a wonderful trip, and I am also sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.

AVP

friscotexas
06-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice and good wishes.

Yes, Steve will need the scooter just to/from/and around the parks -- not in the room.

We love Disneyland and can't wait to have a couple of days to escape reality!

www.checkonsteve.blogspot.com

Malcon10t
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Because most rooms are too small for the scooter, and everything else we travel with, we usually check the scooter with the bell desk in the evenings. You might consider this if your husband can handle going from the bell area to the room.

MammaSilva
06-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Or you can do what we've done, have your husband ride the scooter up to the door of the room, then you can take it back down, check it in/ask them to plug it in and then go back to the room. It's a bit of a pain but it saves him the walk, which can be a good distance at any of the hotels.

Boo's Mommy
06-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Here's what we've done (we bring our own EVC) and we usually stay at GCH. GCH elevators I have found to be larger than at the Disneyland Hotel, which makes driving the EVC into them, with a few adults and 2 kids in a Double stroller possible.
The rooms are smaller than the Disneyland Hotel, but what we learned after our first trip there, is to ask for a room that has an "adjoining room door" because those have a longer entrance hall into the bedroom itself. This gives you a little more room to "store" the EVC. During charging in the evening, we first used to wait till everyone was in bed and then i'd back the EVC into the vanity area of the bathroom and plug it in (everyone's asleep so no worrying about anyone tripping). Another tip would be to bring a three pronged extension cord and you can keep the EVC parked in closer to the door. During the day, when we make intermittent trips back to the room, we just park the EVC outside our room in the hallway (even if we are in the room for an hour or two to rest). There's usually an outlet there also so you can charge while you rest. We've never had a problem with Mousekeeping or any guests if we left our EVC in the hallway during this short period. But overnight, definitely keep it in your room.
When there's a will, there's a way.

friscotexas
06-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice! My husband had no troubles with the scooter. He simply couldn't have made the trip without it, and we will always cherish the memories from our little vacation.

He parked the scooter in the space between the bed closest to the balcony and the sliding glass doors. (I was just careful when getting out of bed to crawl to the end of the bed, not roll out to the side.)

The GCH elevators offered enough room for him, me, our son and our daughter in a stroller, plus a couple additional guests if necessary.

We also quickly learned how to read the attraction signs in the parks to determine where to go for entry. The outdoor elevator at the Enchanted Tiki Room provided the most challenging access issue, but the host there was very helpful.

I highly recommend Deckert Medical. They were easy to work with on the phone in advance, had the scooter waiting for us when we checked in and provided a reliable model.

(www.checkonsteve.blogspot.com (http://checkonsteve.blogspot.com))