PDA

View Full Version : Renting points?

jreich
05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Hi! I checked back a few pages and didn't see this addressed, so I thought I'd ask. I think DVC might be a great idea for my family in a few years. My husband and I have 1- and 3-year old sons, and we plan to go to WDW every other year, staying at first at Moderate Hotels but then working our way up, trying different resorts each trip.

I'm wondering, can we rent points that we're not using on the off years? (I would probably buy 160 points.) If it's possible to rent points, how much do people charge per point? How likely is to find someone to rent them? Last, if someone rents them, are you liable if anything happens to the room?

Many thanks for your thoughts! I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

AVP
05-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Renting points is a huge, controversial issue, so be prepared for a whole range of conflicting opinions. DVC Mike posted some helpful information on the topic last year. (click me (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=73364)!)

The official Disney policy is that DVC membership is for personal use, and you can not use your points for commercial purposes. They probably won't take action against you for an infrequent pattern of rental activity, but there have been recent examples of actions taken against commercial renters.

The person who stays in the room is responsible for room charges and minor damages - loss or theft, which would be charged to the credit card placed on file at check in - but I believe the member may be held responsible for major damage to a room.

Points rent in the $8-11 range, depending on date and location. You can also "sell" points to another DVC member by transfering them to their DVC account. You are limited to one transfer per year.

MousePlanet does not have a very active rental board, but there are other sites that do. It may not be especially difficult to find someone to rent your points, but do you really want to be in a position of having to manage that every other year?

DVC Mike can probably give you way better advice. Personally, I would not buy DVC with the intent to rent my excess points. Considering that you can bank, use and borrow up to three years of points for one stay, I wouldn't buy 160 points if you don't think you would use 480 points every three years.

AVP

KJSJpipe
05-31-2008, 06:32 PM
I think renting out the points is too much of a hassle. If you want to get the 160 points I would either stay longer or get a nicer/bigger room option. For example to look at the month of October* you could get a studio at OKW for 82 points for a week or you could do a one bedroom at AKV Savannah View for 216 points, once they are older you can even do the two bedroom for 295 points.
If you want to do transfers with people you know that would be one thing. Renting to a complete stranger...I don't know I would be comfortable with that.

*I picked October simply because the entire month is in the same season.

mom22gls
06-01-2008, 03:54 AM
I don't think those points are going to go quite as far as you think, and, once you start staying at DVC resorts, you will use them all yourself. Once you have stayed in a one-bedroom villa, it's hard to go back to a standard hotel room or studio. In a one-bedroom, you have a washer and dryer right in the unit, so you don't have to drag your laundry to a common area. You also have a full kitchen, which is really nice for breakfast and snacks. The extra space and privacy is very nice, especially when not everyone wants to go to sleep at the same time. You also get a jacuzzi soaking tub in a one-bedroom (and up). We have found ourselves doing a studio, only when we are running short of points, or if we want to stay a weekend, which is a lot more points. For example, last year was our first full year as DVC owners. In August, we stayed Sunday-Thursday at a one-bedroom at Saratoga Springs. On Friday, we "resort hopped" to the Beach Club villas, and stayed two nights in a studio. That was just fine, because it was easy enough to grab food at the hotel, and we had just done laundry. We banked a few points for this year. We planned a trip in June, but then, planned another trip in March, to take my parents. We stayed four weekday nights in a two-bedroom villa, which used a lot of points. In a couple of weeks, we are going on a Disney cruise (paying cash), but want to stay at Disney before and after the cruise. We are using the rest of this year's points, and borrowing some from next year, to do two nights at the Beach Club villas, in s studio, before, and three nights at a studio at the Animal Kingdom villas, after, the cruise. I've found that its nicer to do studios at the hotel-based DVC villas, so it's not really any different from just staying at the Deluxe resort, and you don't need the full kitchen. Even if you are not going every year, I think you can, easily, use the points you plan to buy.

DVC Mike
06-01-2008, 08:11 AM
I think DVC might be a great idea for my family in a few years. My husband and I have 1- and 3-year old sons, and we plan to go to WDW every other year, staying at first at Moderate Hotels but then working our way up, trying different resorts each trip.

Using your DVC points to stay at non-DVC resorts (moderate and deluxe resorts) is not very cost effective. Plus, you'll need to pay a $95 booking fee. You get the most bang for your buck using your points to stay at the DVC resorts.

I'm wondering, can we rent points that we're not using on the off years? (I would probably buy 160 points.) If it's possible to rent points, how much do people charge per point? How likely is to find someone to rent them? Last, if someone rents them, are you liable if anything happens to the room?

Some people do this. To me, it's a hassle to rent out my points, so I have never personally done it. DVC has a special offer going right now where a new member can buy in with just 100 points direct from Disney. Maybe you should consider this.

Renting a reservation is allowed by the DVC POS documents. Commercial renting is not (20 or more rentals per year in someone else's name).

If a renter damages a room, you will be liable if Disney cannot recover the cost from the renter.

GusMan
06-02-2008, 06:07 AM
I echo the thoughts of the others. While I have rented points from another member, and that transaction went very, very well, it is not something that I think I would want to do on a regular basis, if ever. (I will say that rental helped me decide to buy-in...)

As mentioned, I think banking and borrowing points may be a good alternative for someone who might vacation less often than annually. Use the banked/borrowed points for a vacation in a larger room or for a longer period of time, or even both. There are many options to consider before renting - options that benefit you more than anyone else. Sure, its nice to get a few extra bucks to offset the annual dues, etc, but you have to go into this with the mindset that this is for your own personal use.

Renting out your points is not something to take lightly. As DVCMike said, DVC will come after you for any damages because, in essence, this is your vacation home you are renting out - not just another hotel room. If you think about it that way, renting points out takes on a whole new meaning.

jreich
06-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Hi! Thank you all so very very much for the incredibly helpful replies. I appreciate it very much! I definitely don't thinking renting out points is for me! I am especially grateful for the tip about the 100 points option. I hadn't heard of that yet. That would be better for us. I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

ericles
06-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Here is 2 cents from a Renter...

We've rented DVC points from the same person*** twice now, once in 2006 & once in 2008. Assuming all goes as planned, we'll do it again in 2010.

Why not buy? Because so far I've spent a lot less than if we had bought a DVC. We ran the numbers every which way we could, thought about it over the years and finally decided that buying wasn't for us.... but renting was. I think 2010 will be our last trip for quite a while. Currently we've been 4 times since 2003 & frankly the kids want to go somewhere else! We follow the "rule" of only going to WDW every other year, and going somewhere else on the other years...we plan on joining some family members in 2010 and then I think it will be some time before we go again. The kids are 10 & 12 now and really like the trips to the BVI's & Abacos we've taken. So we'll be going there more.

We rented at Old Key West & Wilderness Lodge. We got way more room for way less money.

***how we came to rent: A family member who had rented told us about the folks we've rented from. It was all very above board and easy to do. It all went as detailed and we have had no problems. I realize this isn't always as it goes for other folks, but it's how it has gone for us. Obviously, it goes without saying that you need to vet and check into anyone you send money to!

That being said, I wouldn't want the hassle to buying something with the thought that I needed to turn around and figure out how to "rent" it out to others. I guess you just have to be sure of what you want and what you want from it.

good luck with your potential purchase!