PDA

View Full Version : Southern California Toy Story Mania! Advertising - Is it Misleading?

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
05-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Currently there is a major TV commercial being broadcasted in the Southern California Area... Selected Stills are in the link below

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/5003333_bqo6i

It starts with some of the Toy Story character going down Main Street at Disneyland.

Then they sneak into the attraction, through they digitally changed the attraction sign to say "Toy Story Mania!"

The characters play the game.

And then it ends with the plug to go see "Toy Story Mania!" at the Disneyland Resort.

Not one mention of DCA at all, and the only "visual" of an area is Disneyland.

Why is Disney marketing the ride in this manner???

Also, Honor Hunter today over at Blue Sky Disney talks about the campaign, and features a photo of the Billboard that can be seen in the SoCal area...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2008/05/fingerprints-of-jay-rasulo.html

Not to mention the billboards all around the Southland that feature misleading wording which makes it appear as if the attraction is in Disneyland. There are some signs actually at the Resort with DCA listed(in very, very small print, btw), but most guest tend to not pay that much attention to banners and displays. Add to this the commercial that is running on television which has the Toy Story characters walking down Main Street and I can tell we're going to have some angry guest this summer that buy a ticket to DL and wind up not being happy they can't ride the new attraction they saw advertised...

Very interesting to watch how Disney works....

HisKid
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Very misleading. I saw the commercial the other day, and rewound it a couple of times to see if there was ANY mention of it being anywhere other than DisneyLAND. Other than the word "Resort", nope. I would be FURIOUS if I got there, didn't buy a Parkhopper, and then found out it was at the other park. Such a bait & switch. How can you act other people to get excited about something YOU are acting ashamed of???

Drince88
05-30-2008, 09:06 AM
The whole Disneyland Resort approach to marketing the Anaheim property has always had the potential to bite the corporation in the backside. I don't think the billboards are that bad, since that's the same way they marketed Monsters, Inc and Tower of Terror (to the best of my marginal recollection).

What way did the characters walk down Main Street? Towards the Castle, or away from the castle? That could be the 'out' the marketing folks left themselves on that part.

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
I do think that the commercial is misleading...and since it is directed at locals, it is really admitting that very very few people want to buy a one park admission to DCA. So they took the approach of putting the emphasis on a new attraction at Disneyland "resort" and then leave you with the concept of a park hopper in order to actually see it.

So factually it is correct...a new attraction at the resort and you will need a park hopper in order to experience it and DL on the same day.

I think that Disney as a company is making great strides in improving DCA, so why not take the opportunity of stressing the first of many upgrades to the "NEW DCA"? Or are they concerned that locals will wait until 2012 to attend, when the improvements are finished?

Anyway it does feel like a misdirect or bait and switch...but most of us here on MP are very familiar with the goings on at DLR. Maybe the general public doesn't see it that way...:confused:

AVP
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Weren't the same concerns raised when Tower of Terror opened? Were there, in fact, huge numbers of people who bought tickets to the wrong park?

AVP

Gone2Disneyland
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I read the same article earlier at Disney Blue Sky too, and frankly as a AP I never would've noticed (since I'm a Disney geek and already knew it was a DCA). But I agree it's deceptive to folks who aren't Disney geeks. I think it's a shame the decision-makers simply can't be upfront about the attraction's location and believe that there's just so much more equity to gain in honesty than to choose deceptive advertising, especially under the Disney brand.

Autopia Guy
05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
And I think its a shame that people cant just ask at the booths when they buy their tickets to make sure they are going to the right park...

So, is it misleading? No. Does it take advantage of the fact that people seem to be afraid to ask to make sure of stuff? Yes. But the new attraction also does take advantage of the fact that most everyone is not satisfied with being in DCA only for a day. So lets start complaining about how they built it in the wrong park to make more money... Yeesh.

And, really, the people in the ticket booths are NOT trying to upsell or take more money. Ive talked many a group out of buying all PAPs if they never were going to come on a Saturday (Get one PAP for the parking and the discounts, everyone else get Dlx; saved that family over a THOUSAND dollars) or out of getting park hoppers on their first time ever to Disneyland (or a Disney park for that matter). Believe me, we try to make sure you feel as though you will get all your moneys worth out of your day WITH OUT you paying more for it than you need to.

Niwel
05-30-2008, 02:34 PM
And I think its a shame that people cant just ask at the booths when they buy their tickets to make sure they are going to the right park..

Can't or don't?

I can't see a ticket booth CM knowingly giving the wrong information to a guest. Many guests probably fall into (if you'll excuse the grab from the passover seder) "the one who knows not what to ask" category.

If they asked: We want to go on Toy Story, what park is that in? They'll be told. If they don't, for whatever reason, I think they have only themselves to blame.

I agree the ads are a tad misleading, though, if you don't come to MousePlanet during your trip planing. :D

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-30-2008, 02:41 PM
And, really, the people in the ticket booths are NOT trying to upsell or take more money.

I'm sure that the great majority of CM's who work at the ticket booths are putting customer service and satisfaction first. As an AP holder, I'm sorry to say that this is one area I tend to pass by and not think about. But I hope that some guests take the time to stop at City Hall and write up a compliment for a ticket booth CM, who went out of his way to explain all the options and save the customer some money!

That's why I think the commercial is deceptive (too strong...misleading) to customers. The ticket booth CM's are the ones who have to deal with the disappointment of patrons when they discover the new Toy Story ride is at DCA and they need to buy a park hopper in order to experience it and DL. It puts the ticket booth CM's in the hot seat to explain it because the commercial plays into a customer's confusion and lack of knowledge. So it misleads rather than informs.

As to the point about asking questions, you have to have a basis of knowledge in order to know what to ask. I'm sure there are lots of people who have no idea that DLR consists of two separate gate entries! Wanting to go to Disneyland may be a long-standing desire perhaps even from childhood and without the knowledge, one may end up disappointed when they discover some of the attractions are not actually in DL and unavailable to them.

I still see no reason that especially on a local spot, they are not advertising that they are building you a better park, with TSMM being one of many improvements going on at DCA. An attraction such as this which almost assuredly will garner multiple repeat rides by guests is really a big thing and truly adds to the value of DCA.

olegc
05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
has anyone seen a commercial for the Florida version? I bet it's almost the same... this is Jay Rasulo and his cronies at their best. Even though it's a local ad (allegedly) it smacks so much of the national campaigns (like the YOAMD commercials). Yes, it only says Disneyland - but it's from a marketing department is is focused on promoting the parks, not necessarily a single park.

So - even though it says Disneyland Resort that's still a Plug in to the script. Honor Hunter at Blue Sky even mentioned that in his follow up post on his blog - that sometimes Rasulo will get his way and it may take years (or maybe never) to rid the company of some of the aspects of his McPark marketing mindset.

Darkbeer
05-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Brady MacDonald at the LA Times lets his opinion be known...

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1969

‘Misleading’ Toy Story Mania advertising campaign

If you’ve noticed those freeway billboards or television commercials promoting the new Toy Story Mania (http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1516) interactive dark ride coming to “Disneyland” (in giant letters), then you probably missed the “Resort” (in microscopic letters).

Blue Sky Disney (http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2008/05/fingerprints-of-jay-rasulo.html) calls the ad campaign “misleading” — since the ride is coming in June to Disney’s California Adventure (http://www.latimes.com/DisneysCaliforniaAdventure) (which is never mentioned on the billboards or in the commercials) and by extension to the Disneyland Resort. Might Mickey be a bit embarrassed of DCA?

janell
05-31-2008, 09:26 AM
I havn't seen the advertisment for this ride yet, Ive been out of town. What I wonder is do people really only buy one part tickets? Im an APer so I take it forgranted.

I can say I wouldn't think of asking which park Toy Story was in. I was in WDW and just figuered it out on my own.

What I wonder is why would Disney do this, have the toys walking down main street? Why not have them walk under the golden gate bridge. That lights up nicely at night.

doublewide77
05-31-2008, 10:33 AM
hmm I got mixed feelings on this one. On one hand I understand why disney is doing it this way. but as a fan of CA I wish they would sell it as a CA ride.

Since it's a local ad, I would guess they are trying to provide someone in the family with just one more reason to get a family to go to disney vs doing something else. The kid (or the dad since it is a shooting ride lol) is not going to be saying to his parents, "look new ride at CA can we go?" But more likely something like "hey we keep talking about going but look at this cool new ride at Disneyland. let's go this summer" Or maybe even "maybe this is the year we should all finally get ap's"

Jon
05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Hm. I've seen the commercial a few times and never noticed. I just thought it looked like fun.

A friend of mine and his wife moved out here from New York. They had barely been here a week when they decided to go check out Disneyland, so they bought single tickets. After a couple of hours of walking around, they were mystified: Where's Space Mountain? Where are the teacups? Where's Pirates? Where the heck is the castle?? As they were leaving, they looked across the plaza and realized they had gone into the wrong park. They had never heard of California Adventure.

:eek:

Anyway, they went to a ticket booth to explain, and the girl gave them passes to Disneyland instead. So the point is, I do think Disney wants you to have a good time, and if you're persistent you can work it out.

Leap for Joy
05-31-2008, 12:48 PM
What I wonder is do people really only buy one part tickets?

Yes, unfortunately, they do! I had a difficult time convincing an acquaintance to buy parkhoppers for her family's multi-day trip. She thought that going to another park would require driving. She thought Tower of Terror, Soarin', and Screamin' were all in Disneyland and so she planned to buy a Disneyland ticket. It seemed perfectly black & white to her and it was a challenge to explain it in a way that she'd understand.

janell
05-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes, unfortunately, they do! I had a difficult time convincing an acquaintance to buy parkhoppers for her family's multi-day trip. She thought that going to another park would require driving. She thought Tower of Terror, Soarin', and Screamin' were all in Disneyland and so she planned to buy a Disneyland ticket. It seemed perfectly black & white to her and it was a challenge to explain it in a way that she'd understand.

Oh wow. I really do take my AP for granted. I love park hopping. Its so much easier at DLR then WDW. LOL I love DL in the morning and DCA in the afternoon evening. Well during the winter. DCA in summer heat, not my fav thing.

Anyhow, Im glad you got your friend to get a park hoppers.

Iceman
05-31-2008, 10:45 PM
OK, I did notice this and thought it was an unfortunate mistake on Disney's part. Given that they would seem to really WANT people to go to DCA, I was surprised that they didn't splash DCA all over the ads. I don't think it's malicious, though, I think it's just poor marketing.

BIRDGIRLS
06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't think the commercial is misleading, but I do belive the billboard is a bit misleading. I saw it last weekend when we were driving through Riverside; no mention of DCA! I though a lot of people would be confused when trying to find it in DL, then I thought, "well, I guess maybe it would bring the lines down for the new ride." They definitely should've put DCA on it somewhere..

woody9six
06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm... I live out of the area (Nor Cal), so I haven't seen the commercial itself nor any of the billboards, but I did grow up in So Cal, so I can see why this might be confusing.

I think what may be confusing for people is that Disney is now trying to market the resort as one entity especially outside of southern California. In fact, I see Disneyland Resort ads on the backstop at SF Giants games. Most of the advertsing that I see is trying to see the resort experience rather than individual parks. The problem that Disney has is sort of a monster of its own making, and that is the Disneyland "brand" is cememted in people's minds as the park. They have done such an effective job of marketing Disneyland, that now they have to try and undo that.

In our minds, whe we see "Disneyland", we think of the park, and the marketing people are trying to shift that to mean something broader, they want people to see the word and think of the resort, not just the park. So they are trying to undo 40+ years of marketing the park, and trying to change that thinking to be more inclusive.

The only problem with selling the resort, is that the park is so iconic, that it is it's greatest selling point and draw (hence the characters under the cones on Main Street).

So rather than seeing it as being intentionally misleading, I see it as a problem that they are having in selling the resort to a local clientele, and clearly that don't have a clear vision, or at least an effective vision of how to do that. Marketing DCA specifically runs counter to the resort brand how they are trying to market it. But not marketing the park specifically leads to the type of confusion we are seeing here, misleading.

That's my $.02

coronado_g
06-02-2008, 01:11 AM
For a local with a pass, it IS one big park - Disneyland and Calif Adventure - with the minor inconvenience of that expanse of middle ground between entrances to run across.

janell
06-02-2008, 06:25 AM
About seeing DL as a resort and people know it as a park. What I see is interesting is WDW is its own name. MK is its own name. So Im wondering what they can do to try and see DL as a resort and not just a park. Maybe they need a new name for the resort. Not sure what that would be but it could help with the confusion.

pixar
06-02-2008, 07:49 AM
just my thought...

I always think of "disneyland" as the resort in california with both parks and downtown disney. with "disneyworld" I think of the big place in florida, with the 4 parks, 2 water parks, etc.

:)

Bytebear
06-02-2008, 09:27 AM
About seeing DL as a resort and people know it as a park. What I see is interesting is WDW is its own name. MK is its own name. So Im wondering what they can do to try and see DL as a resort and not just a park. Maybe they need a new name for the resort. Not sure what that would be but it could help with the confusion.

Disney's California Resort?

But seriously, maybe they used Main Street because they didn't want t have to redo the animation when they redo much of DCA.

Matterhorn Yodeler
06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
What I wonder is do people really only buy one part tickets?

Yes, a lot of people do only buy the ticket for one park, and I would guess that the vast majority of those tickets are for Disneyland.

It is a huge price difference ($91 vs $66) for admission. If you are local and only going for one day, then you are saving almost a third of the cost. If you are going any weekday during the year other than summer, the hours are quite short and there is more than enough to see and do in one park. I'm an AP'er, but when friends join me who are not, they usually purchase the one day/one park (DL) ticket.

That is why I find the advertisment misleading. It gives the impression that TSMM is in DL park...

janell
06-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Disney's California Resort?

But seriously, maybe they used Main Street because they didn't want t have to redo the animation when they redo much of DCA.

That name could work. At least people would then wonder okay which park is that ride in?:)