PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours Upgrades [Star Tours 2.0 Confirmed] [Merged Threads]

Pages : [1] 2

Finz729
05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I don't usually post over here since I've never been to DL (heck, never been west of Las Vegas Boulevard) but found this interesting for you California regulars (and even irregulars.)

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/29/star-tour-20-confirmed/#more-11553

Hope we can expect to see this at DHS down in Orlando soon too!

AVP
05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Here's a link (http://news.cnet.com:80/8301-10784_3-9951772-7.html) to the original CNet article - I am so happy this has finally been confirmed!

Next up for Landis is another nostalgia-oriented project--a redo of the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. The big question...will Captain EO make a comeback?

AVP

SANDYMARIE
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
How cool would that be........being a part of the pod race!!!
I'm excited!! I hope it's true!

TTFN :)

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
This is one of my favorite rides and I really look forward to a new film. I do hope that they employ a "rotation" because I wouldn't want the original film to completely go away...especially because of the homage to the "Mighty Microscope" that's in it!

How exciting! Is there any idea of a projected time frame?

EeyoreGirl
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Star Tours is my favorite ride. I hope the keep the original "adventure" in the rotation. A pod race would be cool though. I hope they don't make it 3D. I like the way the ride is set up now like you are actually in the ship watching out the view port.

MrsPooh
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, this is so exciting!

While we love Star Tours, it will be great to have something new.

Piglet, my Star Wars Freak, will be all over this. ;)

BunnyCups
05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
What I'd really like to see in the changes to this ride is the possibilty of going to different planets other than just one single new film. "Star Tours" makes it sound like a type of cruiseline (but space-themed) tour thing or something, and we always have the choice of where to go. It would be cool to get to chose which planet you get to go to or something, and have up to 10 different choices or something. Being a Star Wars lover, maybe I'm just hoping for too much :P

Bytebear
05-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I would really love to travel to Hoth. Best battle scene of all the movies.

Tan Da Man
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Im happy because I love Star Tours and it is no doubt out-dated...but if they make it take place in any of the three horrible prequels I will be sincerley pissed :)

mrsdisney68
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Ok I am probably the only person that has never been on Star Tours. Can someone please tell me about it. If you get motion sickness will it make you sick? My son is a huge Star Wars fan, we have never been on this ride all the times we have been there. I have a different idea of what this was so any help would be great:cool:

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Ok I am probably the only person that has never been on Star Tours. Can someone please tell me about it. If you get motion sickness will it make you sick? My son is a huge Star Wars fan, we have never been on this ride all the times we have been there. I have a different idea of what this was so any help would be great:cool:

It is a "flight simulator" type ride. The platform you are on is programmed to move and tilt in synch with the movie on the viewing screen, so it actually gives you the feeling of flying. The effect is amazing! My favorite moment is when you jump to light speed. Also love the dive into the Death Star trench to blow it up.

As to motion sickness, it may be a little rough. I really can't comment, because I'm not affected that way. If you are borderline, I would take the chance and go on it because the ride itself, the technology, the story and the total immersion are worth it!

Jon
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm no fan of the prequels by any means, but Star Tours could definitely benefit from a change and I suppose a podrace seems like a reasonable setting.

On another note, reading that article: "...if ILM did its job, viewers will hardly notice the 45 minutes of CGI in the film". Umm... I don't think even people who liked Indy-4 could honestly say they "hardly noticed" the CGI.

:rolleyes:

D15
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM

I'm kind of a half-and-half (some things give me motion sickness, others not at all), and Star Tours doesn't necessarily make me nauseous, but it gives me one KILLER migrane. I've been on twice, once to "try it out", the next "because it can't be as bad as I remember" :rolleyes: If you're someone who's consistently prone to motion sickness I would probably advise against it, but if you're borderline (or willing to deal with it, I guess) I'd say give it one go to see, in the worst case at least you'll know not to for "next time" :D

Finz729
05-30-2008, 04:41 AM
I know it wouldn't make any sense since you're in a shuttle craft, but a simulation of the speeder bike chase from Return of the Jedi would pretty much rock my face off!

daveywest
05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
For comparison, Star Tours is about like matterhorn bobsleds for roughness. It lacks the smooth feel that Soar'n has, but that is somewhat by design, as you are in battlefield or asteroid belt for most of the ride.

Depending on where you sit on the ride makes a dramatic differnece in the motion you experience. Rear center of the cabin is the tamest, while front side seats are extreemly jarring.

Drince88
05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
As far as roughness on Star Tours --- I've always thought the Unofficial Guide should contain a warning that well-endowed women should wear their jogging bras.

I wouldn't do it if motion sickness is a potential issue - on a tour I saw Body Wars (similar ride vehicle) from the outside, and those vehicles move A LOT!

wabby1
05-30-2008, 08:44 AM
So are we finally to be rid of the stupid robot that talks like Pee Wee Herman?

Chadsgal
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I much needed change but this ride makes me sick everytime I ride so I've avoided it for the past two trips & plan on avoiding it again this year. Now I will have to ride it again once it has the upgrades. :( I see possible vomiting in my future.

I'll have to double up on some dramamine that day I guess. LOL!!

Tan Da Man
05-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Awww...I liked that robot

yohomama212
05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
The robot rocks! Every time we come off the ride, DS says "it was my first flight and I'm still getting used to my programming!" Everyone thinks it really was his first ride and I have to explain that he's just a big fan!

Elizabeth

jazzysmom
05-30-2008, 10:25 AM
This is just the best thing I have read all week! Thank you for sharing!

IllusionOfLife
05-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Well my mom is somewhat prone to motion sickness (she refuses to go on Tower of Terror, the swinging gondolas on the Sun Wheel, California Screamin', and the Mad Tea Party) but she is absolutely fine with Star Tours. She won't go on Body Wars at Epcot, which is almost the same ride though, go figure.

-SolarSurfer

mrsdisney68
05-30-2008, 02:15 PM
I have been on that Body Wars at Epcot a long time ago and I did get very sick from that so maybe I better stay clear of Star Tours. I would like to have my kids and dh try it. Thanks for all the help.

LdyApxr
05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, lets see, I get horrible migraines from just about anything and I am "well endowed" and this ride does not bother me. Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin sends me into migraine Hades. The flashing lights kill me.

I would love to have an upgrade(speederbike chase would rock my world but then again, I love my sportbike!) but I don't want the original to just go away.

Bolivar
05-31-2008, 02:23 PM
I get motion sick on this ride. I think it is because the motion is not quite right with the picture. It is pretty good, but not perfect and I think the mismatch in senory input (motion vs. image) is what does me in. In fact I have ridden it with my eyes shut the whole time and I am fine doing that.

The tunnel at the beginning of Space does the same thing to me and I close my eyes through there.