PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Employment

lumisus
10-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Hello im new here at the forums but have been visiting the sight for a while now. I noticed that there seems to be a few Cast Members that post here and I had a few questions regarding Disneyland employment. Im 18 years old and am interested in a full time or maybe part time job at Disneyland. I was wondering how hard would it be for me to get a job there and what positions would I have the best success applying for. I'm not trying to be picky but I definitely don't want to be doing food service so please dont suggest that. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for the help. :)

tabacco
10-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Well, if you can, I'd go by the casting lobby at TDA and ask them what's open. There'll probably be some CT positions available all over the place come the holiday hiring period.

disguy
10-02-2002, 01:22 PM
I'd like to but in and ask a question also :)

Do they normally hire a good amount of there holiday hires for full time? Or do most of them get let go

tabacco
10-02-2002, 04:07 PM
If you get hired as a CT and don't manage to raise status, they won't fire you. You'll just remain on as CT. In theory, you can work year 'round as CT, but you're bottom of the barrel for hours.

driftwood714
10-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Call the jobline and go through the menu to set up an appointment.. It's the easiest way to get a foot in the door..

800-766-0888

Morrigoon
10-02-2002, 06:44 PM
It helps if you know a CM, and are friends with them. During certain periods, they get a small bonus if you get hired and stay employed. It also gives you a leg up in consideration - kind of the if-they're-good-their-friends-might-be theory.

goofey
10-02-2002, 06:45 PM
Kevin Yee's columns (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/m021002.htm) explain the hiring process, as least as I remember it two years ago. He also explains the employment statuses, so I'll refer you to his column for an explanation.

I can tell you right now that they're always itching to fill openings in my dept, DL stores. They never officially say they're shorthanded, but judging by how we CRs (lower-status CMs) are getting scheduled, I'd say they are definitely shorthanded right now. I'm not too sure on if they're even filling those openings right now; they're weird like that.

If you get hired for the holiday season, it is most likely you will be hired as a CT or CR. Kevin doesn't mention that CTs get very little seniority (meaning they have very little say on how they get scheduled) and they don't get some of the perks that we regular CMs get. It's not too hard to move up from CT to CR, but it's somewhat harder to move up to B or A status.

Ok, I'll stop my ramble there.....for now.

Morrigoon
10-02-2002, 07:01 PM
goofey: CTs don't get *any* seniority. You accrue no seniority (towards year pins, scheduling, or otherwise) until you turn CR.

lumisus
10-02-2002, 09:07 PM
thanks for all the responses. i turned in an application today and will be returning tomorrow for an interview. i have another question though, will i have a choice on what park i will be working in?

Morrigoon
10-02-2002, 11:29 PM
lumi: dunno about the park choice, chances are they will try to persuade you to go where you're needed.

bit of advice: when you enter the room, they will smile at you - smile back. Remember, your interview starts the moment you open the door and ends only once you've left the room. Think ahead of times when you've had to show leadership, solve a problem, or get along with someone you had a problem with. They are all likely questions. Be energetic but willing to work hard, willing to work all holidays/weekends/etc. Think ahead of time about a couple spots you'd like to work and why you want to be there. But most important: smile - genuinely.

lumisus
10-03-2002, 12:11 PM
well i failed he said that he based on the interview he has nothing to offer me and to try back in 6 months. thanks for the help though guys! :)

Wizard69
10-03-2002, 08:54 PM
What kind of questions did he ask you? What did u respond?

lumisus
10-03-2002, 09:41 PM
He asked 3 questions:

1. What was your most recent job and why did you decide to apply at Disneyland.
2. Give an example of a difficult situation with a guest and how you handled it.
3. Give an example of how you have worked in a team at a previous job.

I thought I did ok, although I was a bit nervous because the people in my group were both probably more than twice my age. But I think I probably screwed up on the second question because I had to come up with something within 5 seconds because I was chosen first to answer.

Wizard69
10-04-2002, 09:49 AM
They did the interviews in a group?

lumisus
10-04-2002, 12:45 PM
yep

smd4
10-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Didn't you get a chance to read Morrigoon's advice the day before your interview?

Think ahead of times when you've had to show leadership, solve a problem, or get along with someone you had a problem with.

PhilMP
10-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Or you could've made a bunch of stuff up. It appears to be how half the Casting interviews go anyways, with the quality of CMs they're hiring nowadays. :)

Phil

lumisus
10-04-2002, 07:16 PM
no i didnt make anything up, i think the problem was my eyes were wandering a little too much and i wasnt quite as outgoing as i should have been.

stitcher
10-04-2002, 09:47 PM
The trick is:
1. Smile like its permanent, but smile genuine
2. As to the difficult situation, just think of any situation in which you made a choice which had a positive outcome, bonus if it had to do with a guest. (It can be a negative outcome but you have to have learned a lesson or kind of the lesser of two evils thing)
3. Be energetic
4. Be attentive to the other potential castmembers' answers

hgf1ower
10-05-2002, 01:11 PM
it could be just cause they might not be hiring as much at the moment? at least they keep your application on file for the next 6 months so by xmas you might be getting a call :)
i went in for my interview in april, and i got a call back like a week later for me to start that summer since i needed to graduate high school first. from there i worked for about 6 months and transfered over to dca and got my b status. and even though disneyland is great, i'm constantly grateful that i made the move. disneyland was always special to me, but when you work there day in and day out, it kinda ruins the magic. dca is fun cause you have more guest interaction since there's not as many, hehe.. plus i'm always a guest when i go to visit dland now too.

Morrigoon
10-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Wow, you got B status QUICK!

tabacco
10-05-2002, 05:12 PM
You made B in 6 months? Heck, maybe I should go CR and switch to DCA :)

hgf1ower
10-06-2002, 12:21 AM
hehe, well i transferred to be an opening cm. i could've made trainer too if i had turned in my papers early enough. couple ppl who hired in the same time as me came over to dca as leads. but now that they realize how little profit our park makes, we don't offer b or a status anymore. but it's alright, i'm a kind and generous cm. i "donate" my hours to our new hires :D
it's great. i turned lead myself after working a little more than a year total for disney :p

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-07-2002, 12:24 AM
DCA makes a profit? Certainly not every day....