PDA

View Full Version : DL Solo

Felip
10-02-2002, 09:57 AM
Any suggestions of things to do when going to DL solo?

Most of the times when I am with a group, we end up just going on the big E-tickets all day.

All suggestions welcome :D

DJ_MENTOS
10-02-2002, 10:00 AM
1.) People watch
2.) Eat, enjoy the food.
3.) Study. I've taken magazines and books that I've needed to study, and done that there at Pacific Wharf with a bowl of clam-chowder.
4.) Enjoy the rides you might not normally enjoy because of being in a group.
5.) Pay attention to th landscaping and the small details.

-DJ_MENTOS

scottmen
10-02-2002, 10:15 AM
Get in as many people's pictures as possible. Stand back behind people and smile. You'll be a little out of focus but it looks funny with you have this crowd shot with someone showing the pearly whites. :D

Try and get with a big group going to dinner and see if they will buy your meal too.

Pretend you are with a group and get on their bus to see where you end up. Once time I went to Chicago.

happyfunball
10-02-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm doing the solo thing for the first time this month.. from the 18th to the 23rd..

I'm goign to be doing all the stuff I never get to do with a group when we're all rushing to pack in as many e ticket rides as possible..
I haven't been on Its a small world since 1978, so I'm gonna go through that again.
hang out, people watch, take my time, relax..

I've never been in the tiki room for the show, in fact I haven't seen any show like that in a long long time..

I plan to do all the little stuff I always miss..

and go on pirates and the haunted mansion at least a dozen times each.. :)

Felip
10-02-2002, 11:37 AM
The things I want to do:

1 - Tiki Room (haven't seen in years)
2 - Pirates (was closed the last two times I was there)
3 - HMH (Have yet to see the overlay)
4 - Indy (Have only been on this twice)
5 - Space Mtn ( I have yet to hear the music)
6 - Mr Toad
7 - Roger Rabbit ( have not been on)
8 - See the fireworks (last time I was there...I was watching fantasmic) Will there be fireworks on a monday night in october??
9 - Peter Pan

I hope to accomplish everything pretty early...being that I have to drive to San Diego after I leave DL.

oh and I want to see downtown disney...haven't seen it yet.

teri
10-02-2002, 02:52 PM
I did a few days solo at WDW about 18 months ago. It was very nice - I read books in interesting places, shopped, talked to people, went to the pool, sunbathed on my balcony at the resort, and generally took it easy. The hot tubs are just about empty in the daytime, all the better for me. Usually when I go I have kids with me, and it was GREAT to have my hands and eyes and ears free. My husband stayed home with the kids and gained a new appreciation of all I do for them. :) I didn't ride many rides at all for health reasons, but somehow I managed to have a terrific time. If I were going solo to Disneyland, I expect I would do the same thing, and enjoy it even more.

hefferdude
10-02-2002, 04:14 PM
I try to go in the evening when on business in the
Anaheim/Irvine area. I really enjoy trying the restaraunts
( on my per diem :cool: ) then wander into the park and
just sort of meld and drift. Let the current carry me along.

Morrigoon
10-02-2002, 05:59 PM
My favorite: talk to other guests! Get to know them. Tell them what you know about DL, find out what they know.

Get your picture taken with a character - both because your group probably never wants to wait for that, and to commemorate your great day alone at the park

Watch the old Mickey films in the Main St Cinema

Go to a meet (if you get there on Sunday, though it looks like you're Mondaying it)

Sit at "Rod's Table" - oh wait, you said Monday didn't you. That's Johnny's day and he doesn't have a table. But file this away for future reference: Rod Miller is the better piano player at Coke corner. His fans pull a table up next to the piano and it's basically open seating unless there's a group sitting there that doesn't know they're at Rod's table ;) Usually in the late afternoon/evening time it's Rod's fans sitting there. You can also stand right in front of the piano on the edge of the little riser he's on. That's my fave spot. Rod's a good piano player but a GREAT all-around entertainer. He plays, he converses, he jokes, he occasionally tells great Walt stories, he sings, etc. My last trip to DL I was with Hyperboy for 4 hours during which we did attractions like crazy, then I spent the next 5 hours just hanging out at Coke Corner. Had a wonderful time.

Ride the Jungle Cruise multiple times (better chance of getting a "good" one

Go on a Maynard hunt - ask around if he's working that day (might not be) Likely spots are HM, JC, Lincoln, Tiki, Fantasmic or parade GC, and less likely are Astro, and HISTA. If you see him, shake his hand and give him a chance to perform for you.

Lunch at Hungry Bear - take your food and find those wa-a-a-ay in the back tables that everyone raves about (they're set apart from the main dining area a bit). Eat slowly, watch the Twain go by, wave at the kids on deck.

This one's more for the AP- take a sketch book or a set of watercolors and paint/draw your favorite DL landscape

If you're already at the park and the inclination suddenly hits you - buy an autograph book and do the same!

cindanzr
10-02-2002, 07:04 PM
I go solo all the time and enjoy it becaase you can do what you want, when you want, for how long you want. Personally, I enjoy seeing the shows, riding my favorite rides, shopping and dancing to the bands at Club Buzz. I echo other posters sentiments - strike up a conversation. You meet some interesting people that way. And CMs are great to talk with as long as you don't keep them from their job. Going solo is a nice break from going with a group. It's a chance to experience DL at your pace, whatever that is!

thekirk
10-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Since I'm 16, and I live 7 hours away from DL, and I either go with family....or go with friends....when I go, I don't have any time to myself :(

I wish I could...I want to just sit back and watch the magic happen....

someday....I will:)

Allysen1Derland
10-03-2002, 10:27 AM
When I was a CM between 1989 & 1992 @ DL, I used to love going to the park solo!

The first time I ever went solo, though, was kinda intimidating! I was 16, Splash Mountain had just opened that summer, and I wanted to ride it bad! Alas, the line was huge, it was extremely hot, so I decided not to go on! The Disney Afternoon Parade was in progress, so the line to IASW was empty! I decided to go on that, and I got a whole boat all to myself! :) But, when the ride ended, I came out, alone in my boat, to a full line (parade ended!) laughing on the above bridge, telling me that they felt bad I was all alone! Nice group! :rolleyes:

It didn't deter me! Many times after my shift ended I'd go shopping in the park, and I loved hangin' out at the Disney Gallery or people-watching!

And let me just add, when I did go on a ride, solo, from that point on, cute male CM's would start talking to me and I'd score dates! Attractions... ODV...It's all good! Haha! :D