PDA

View Full Version : How (practically) will they build the new entrance for DCA?

HisKid
05-23-2008, 07:34 AM
My understanding is that the CALIFORNIA letters are coming out, the Bridge, tile murals, and shops along the sides are all coming out as well. I heard that they were extending the entrance into the esplanade, and were going to make the entry more in keeping with a "Main Street" feel. My question: how on Earth do you knock out the whole entrance and start over, while maintaining any semblance of an operating theme park? Where could they move the entrance to? Wouldn't they then also have to move stroller rental, guest relations, etc? I'm just really curious about how they can make it happen. Thoughts?

daveywest
05-23-2008, 08:02 AM
I'd venture to guess its much like daming a running river. First you re-route the flow through another channel. Lets not forget Disney is the master of renovating things just mere feet from park guests without impacting the "show". I'd also expect a large portion of the work would be done at night in the off-season.

HisKid
05-23-2008, 08:13 AM
That's what I'd guess, too, but I'm wondering what people would guess as to where the alternate entry would be. Near Soarin'? Near Monster, Inc?

pixar
05-23-2008, 09:48 AM
my guess is it's not that hard. taking out the letters can be done overnight. the bridge could be done overnight. then for the stores, they'll put up a wall in front of them. the tough part is the floor (I'm assuming they will do something with the floor also). even so, they can do 1/2 and when that's finish, do the other 1/2. or maybe I'm too simple here. :D

dougeebear
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
According to reports, the original plan was to create a temporary entrance through the former Millionaire building over nears Monster's Inc. However, the park makes a ton of money renting out that space for corporate events and it was deemed too valuable to lose that revenue during the entrance makeover.

The new plan is to route guests through the service entry off to the right of the bakery, a large truck-sized gate between the bakery and the Grand Californian.

HisKid
05-23-2008, 10:17 AM
According to reports, the original plan was to create a temporary entrance through the former Millionaire building over nears Monster's Inc. However, the park makes a ton of money renting out that space for corporate events and it was deemed too valuable to lose that revenue during the entrance makeover.

The new plan is to route guests through the service entry off to the right of the bakery, a large truck-sized gate between the bakery and the Grand Californian.

Would that bring you in over by Soarin, then? Will they have to move security?

dawnid
05-23-2008, 11:31 AM
There is a CM entrance to the left of the entrance and they could route entrance back thru there and come in by the never opened eatery next to Monster's Inc.. Since there is already a walkway there it wouldn't be too hard to adapt to the public. Like someone already posted Disney knows how to move the herd so it should be fun to see the improvements.

Tan Da Man
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
aww..I kinda like the entrance that they have now

dkthepainter
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Wouldn't they then also have to move stroller rental, guest relations, etc?

Yes. I spoke with a CM that was working the guest relations and she said that withen a certain amount of time it would be closed. She did not say where it would be moved to, but that it would definately be removed from that particular spot(whether temporary or not, was not discused).

Gone2Disneyland
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM

This was the last thing I had read as well. This entry was also used for part of the race course for the Disneyland 1/2 marathons. From inside the park, it's in between the Grand Californian and the Soarin' building, right where the billboard sign and popcorn truck are located. It's definitely not as wide an entryway as the original entrance.

VickiC
05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
ggrrrr I feel like starting a "keep the bridge" protest.

olegc
05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Hmm - so if thye reroute the entry to that gate between La Brea Bakery and WOD they will have to build a new Bag Check. Which means if you're coming from Harbor - you will have to go through two bag checks to get into DCA.

more hassle - but I assume it will all be worth it once the park opens up. I just wonder will we get Main Street or will we get Hollywood Blvd at Disney Studios in WDW (or worse yet - streets like Hollywood Backlot). I will assume the former since that's the stated goal - to get it right. We will see...

RockDoc07
05-24-2008, 07:54 PM
What if they just did something to increase the capacity of the entrance currently used by the GCH? I'm sure the hotel and the company would like to keep that as a private entrance, but it seems they could at least reroute some traffic that way since everything is already setup. I hope they at least leave the letters, or redo it somehow. Though I guess it is sort of hokey. It's probably the worst entrance of the 6 Disney Parks on this continent (not including the water parks in FL which I've never seen so I won't pass judgement).

Happy Memorial Day weekend all!

Cool Runnings
Doc

olegc
05-24-2008, 09:46 PM
What if they just did something to increase the capacity of the entrance currently used by the GCH? I'm sure the hotel and the company would like to keep that as a private entrance, but it seems they could at least reroute some traffic that way since everything is already setup.
unfortunately I htink there are too many high price paying guests for so many to walk through that entrance who are not hotel guests. it might create traffic patterns that they don't want in the showcase hotel.

I hope they at least leave the letters, or redo it somehow. Though I guess it is sort of hokey. It's probably the worst entrance of the 6 Disney Parks on this continent (not including the water parks in FL which I've never seen so I won't pass judgement).
Doc

I actually like the entrance concept - a giant postcard - and when you looked at it from afar without people in front - it really worked. However, in the long run it did not make enough of a statement. If you think about it - Disneyland's entrance gates are very understated - with that great floral berm but still nothing grand.

I think a large issue with an entrance is that since you can't see it from far off - like MK or AK in WDW, it does not seem to be such a big deal to have a fantastic entrance. it's after the gates that is important..

twindaddy
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
What is the timeframe for all of this to happen?

EeyoreGirl
05-27-2008, 06:17 AM
They're taking out the letters? Awww man! I've always wanted a picture of my family in the C since it's the first letter of our last name. (Corny I admit it) I was planning on doing it in November since we didn't get a chance last weekend.

dznyphreak
05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
I for one am looking forward to the new entrance. The letters and bridge were cute at first, but have gotten old and cheesy since. Especially when they dress up the letters for the holidays/YOMD.
My question is, how will they integrate the monorail track/train into the 1920s Hollywood feel they're planning on creating??? The bridge may be gone, but the track will still be there. It seems too difficult to move/relocate that entire portion of track, especially with new monorails coming out this summer. It would seem a waste to just close it again.

Darkbeer
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Maybe hide the Monorail with a solid facade around the track.

Bolivar
05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
They're taking out the letters? Awww man! I've always wanted a picture of my family in the C since it's the first letter of our last name. (Corny I admit it) I was planning on doing it in November since we didn't get a chance last weekend.

My oldest son's name is Connor which I can spell using the letters - CalifORNia. At various ages I have pictures of him standing in the C, two posses in the O, two in the N and one in the R. Some of them the regular letters and some in the holliday stripes. I have those pictures cut together to spell his name.

That doesn't work for my other two kids. The one was born before DCA openned, but the youngest was born after I had these pictures of the oldest. What was I thinking with his name? I should have planned it around those letters!

dznyphreak
05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
When I went in September with two friends from high school, we took pictures in front of the letters as well. One friend and I go to UCLA, so we took pictures in front of C,A,L, and O. My other friend goes to UCI and took a picture with the I. He then photoshopped the O into a U and voila! It's pretty cool.

Now I have myself really curious about the monorail track...I hadn't really thought about it before. A solid facade would make sense, but I'm still wondering what it would be of...

HisKid
05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't that be the right era for the Red Line? That might be able to be incorporated somehow. Or not. <shrug>