PDA

View Full Version : I need to vent about FastPass (AP's can relate)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ralph Wiggum
06-27-2001, 01:36 PM
I just need to vent this. As a passholder I rarely go to the parks anytime before 4pm, usually later. Well, once i get there most of the fastpasses have been distributed and I am stuck sitting in line and watching the fast pass people go by. AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think they need to either get rid of the system or tweak it alot!! For the most part i just hate it. It doesnt make the ride load any fast or get more people on the ride in a day. All it does is give some people the privilage to cut in line later in the day but meanwhile spend their money in the park. Eveyone else has to wait even longer than they would without the system. I HATE IT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank you, that is all:D

JRob2k1
06-27-2001, 01:45 PM
I can totally agree with what you're saying. Especially when you're the next one in the Stand-By line, watching others RUN by!

I personally do NOT like fastpass. In my opinion it just makes the lines longer. In the past, a 60 min wait for Indy did not scare me, because it was a great que and it moved quickly. Now with fastpass, they cut out the line and it now hardly moves. The same could be said about any ride with fastpass.

Lately, Grizzly Peak has had its fastpass shut down because of the work around it. That line also moves quickly. The wait said 95 min and we boarded at 25 min!!! With Fastpass, the wait would actually be 95 min.

Another thing about fastpass, is that it keeps the lines long even at the end of the day. I loved being able to walk on Indy, Splash, and Space at 11:55. Now the are still hour waits because of fastpass. That bothers me the most.

Anyways, I'll get off my little rant.

-JRob

Ralph, dont forget another great line "I bent my wookie"

splbound
06-27-2001, 01:47 PM
agreed. And the little snotts walk by like that scene out of Wayne's World where they had the backstage passes and were displaying them to anyone within 30 feet.

Look at the bright side, Ralph. This is never a problem on the Zephyr.

EandCDad
06-27-2001, 02:03 PM
One of the "little snots" here. Love fastpass, especially on Autopia. I've never had any problem with them being out of fastpass when I have used it, although with kids I'm usually using it in the morning and early afternoon. Sorry if it bums you guys out, but calling me a "little snot":eek: is not going to win me to your side.;)
By the way, I love that scene in Wayne's World.

splbound
06-27-2001, 03:05 PM
EandC,

Please let me clarity: When I refer to "Little Snots" I, of course refer to the unclean masses, NOT the distinguished and highly touted priviliged few that subscribe to Mouseplanet...You understand.

Dlandmom
06-27-2001, 03:08 PM
As an AP, I sometimes like it and sometimes hate it.

I like it a lot when I just want to spend a few leisurely hours in the park and only plan to hit 2-3 rides. Fastpass helps me budget my time, and take in more of the park during the time I would've normally been spending in a queue. And I agree with EandCDad to the extent that when kids are in the picture, anything to help shorten the wait is greatly appreciated!

I hate it when I only have 2-3 hours to spend at the park and plan to ride ONLY Space Mountain OR Indy, but the Fastpass time is already 3 hours away, and the standby line is already 90 minutes. In that respect, I agree that Fastpass may need a little tweaking.

Plus, as an AP holder who lives nearby, I usually encounter problems in the summer and holiday weekends, and those are the times that I usually try to avoid anyways. I realize not all AP holders live nearby, but part of the reason I got my AP is so that if I encountered huge crowds and long lines pre and post Fastpass, I could go back another time and not worry about "admission" and such. Unfortunately, AP holders who don't live in Southern Cal don't have that luxury.

I still say give Fastpass a chance for a little longer to see how it develops. Right now, I like it more than I hate it.

lisap
06-27-2001, 03:25 PM
I say if they should take a look at when fastpasses are running out. If they are gone so quickly in the morning, they either need to start cutting back on the the total amount they let in the park per day (I wish they would, will never happen), or shorten the wait time to use the fastpass and add more times in. This screws the poor people who are waiting in line, but Merlinjones predicts they will be charging soon for fastpass (and as we all know he is never wrong) , so I say:

use it, use it, use it while we can. I'm not paying for it.

EandCDad
06-27-2001, 03:34 PM
splbound-Thank you for distinguishing me from the great unwashed snot out there. Next time I walk by you with my fastpass, I will put my head down and keep moving.

PS-Is Ralph's use of 7 unhappy faces some sort of record for this site?

splbound
06-27-2001, 03:53 PM
hahahahahahahaa.

By the way EandC: You mentioned Autopia. Just made me think of something I have been meaning to post....

The only way I can do autopia since the remodel is by fastpass. That way you move thru the line rather quickly. But has anyone mentioned the bad planning that went into putting the major part of the queue over the track where the cars come in and idle? I don't know about anyone else, but if there is not a good breeze blowing, you pretty much pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning by the time you ride. Have you noticed this?

Gregmh48
06-27-2001, 04:01 PM
I don't like FASTPASS most of the time either. It completely ruins the standby queues everywhere that it is installed.

BillabongBoiBG
06-27-2001, 04:59 PM
A few rides are great for fast pass because Disney knows how to use the queue. Example...Big Thunder. the right side is Stand-By the left is FP. The FP never holds the stand by people. Perfect!
But for Space Mountain, NO NONO!!! They hold the stand by to let the FP people through, even when there are no FP people coming!!

Splash could do this right, if they kept one side for FP and one for Stand By without stopping either line.

Napsto
06-27-2001, 05:38 PM
fast pass is absolutley useless on HM and Pirates.

Gregmh48
06-27-2001, 09:46 PM
I find that it is impossible to wait in Standby for Space Mountain and Indy now. If you don't use FASTPASS, you will stay in one spot the entire time. One two separate occasions, I waited in Space Mountain Standby for over 60 minutes when the sign said 25. But then again I can't think of another way that the system could be used effieciently on Indy and Space Mountain, can any of you?

JRob2k1
06-27-2001, 09:55 PM
In my opinion, scrap it. Like I said before, I dislike FastPass a lot!!

But I also have enough sense to realize that they're not going to get rid of something they invested a lot of money into. Eventually they will probably charge for it, so maybe it will smooth things out a little.

The only thing I hope is that great, detailed ques of the past will not be overlooked for FastPass when new attractions are built.

-JRob

AgentLaRue
06-27-2001, 10:14 PM
Must say, it is interesting to read why AP's don't like fastpass, many issues I'd never considered. For a non-AP, I love it. I can actually see Indy on a trip without needing to change my shoes half-way through the wait.

One question to those who hate it: rather than gaze with disdain at all the little snots, why not just get yourself one of the passes?

JRob2k1
06-27-2001, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AgentLaRue
One question to those who hate it: rather than gaze with disdain at all the little snots, why not just get yourself one of the passes?

Because like Ralph said, we either get there later in the afternoon when all the fastpasses are gone. Or we are only there for a couple of hours and the fastpass return time is after we have to leave.

But even then...

-JRob

Morrigoon
06-27-2001, 10:20 PM
I too, object to fastpass. I use it, of course, because everyone else does, but I'd rather none of us had it. I just don't like the idea of having to schedule a day when you are supposed to be relaxing. How much more stressful is the day, when you have to run around trying to adhere to your schedule. Sorry darling, you can't see Belle today because we only have 10 minutes left on these fast passes! No time for lunch at Blue Bayou today.. we've got fastpasses for Space Mtn in half an hour... guess it's burgers again! etc.

And of course, fast pass is not a fair system. Sure it seems like one, after all, anyone can use it. But it favors those who, say, still have a multi-day ticket left from a previous trip, or old annual passes ;) (shhhh!)

While this is great for me, it's unfair to the average Joe Schmo visiting the park on his annual DL visit. They could take it out tomorrow, and I wouldn't complain overmuch.

Dlandmom
06-27-2001, 10:30 PM
You've really hit upon a good point. For those of us with an AP, and especially those of us with an AP who live nearby, we won't be too upset if we can't benefit from FastPass on any given day because we can go back the next day if we want.

However, for the annual visitor, and especially the first time visitor, it must be a nightmare trying to figure out how to schedule your day to best use FastPass. And of course they're probably going to end up missing out on many rides and attractions because they didn't know how to "plan" their day better.

Yep, I use it, and I know how to use it well (efficiently?!), but I can see why there are lots of people out there who hate it.

French_Mouse
06-28-2001, 08:26 AM
Hi,
I am with you Ralp !
here in DLP, we have fast pass too. Althought I used it from time to time (I am an annual pass).

1- First with this the FP system huge waiting time come to attractions more early. And it stay that till closing: the magic hours of early mornings & late evenings where there was short queue had vanish.

2- Traffic jam: here in DLP it's horrible from mid morning to early afternoons( when there is no more FP), both stand-by & FP queue take all the space of the paths. You'd better avoid thoses place or you will get stuck in a sea of people for 15minutes! (especially at BTM over here)

3- What to do when you have your FP ticket ? Well thanks to Pressler we will have plenty of kiddie rides to enjoy (aladdin..) This guy really knows what's bring us in Disney theme park, isn't it ? ;)

4- R U sure FP is made to win some time ? When you consider the time you need to get a ticket & the fact that it lock down your choices... It's said that guests will spend time to eat or shopping. Well another thing is that crowds leave the parks from late afternoon 17/18; but with FP ticket good till closing time, several thousands people are in a way "locked" in the parks.

Wackokid
06-28-2001, 10:13 AM
i love it! you just have to get there early and stay all day

Nfatuated
06-28-2001, 11:06 AM
I am a an AP, and all I have to say is WaHHHHHH! Fast pass is great and those who seem to hate are bitter only because its not availible when they step foot in the park, but yet they TRY to obtain fast passes. If you are one who has the oppurtunity to obtain a fast pass and you do not and then call those who use fast past "little snots" I have no pitty for you:) . Fats pass is availible to everyone and those who do not use it should not complain about those who do. Some of us really do not enjoy hr and 1/2 lines.:D

Alex S.
06-28-2001, 11:14 AM
I'm personally fine with FastPass and I am a non-local AP.

But then, I probably average less than 1 attraction per day in the park. I never go on an attraction with a wait of more than a few minutes.

There is no attractin so good that I feel the need to go on it more than twice in a lifetime (I'm not saying I won't go more than twice, just that I won't be bummed if I don't).

Morrigoon: You do know, don't you, that you can use a FastPass after the time on it? I've done this a few times with no problem. And I would think it more of a scheduling burden to say "we're going to stand right here for the next 120 minutes to ride Splash" rather than we are going to come back in four hours to spend 30 minutes riding Splash."

And remember, Disney doesn't care if APs feel excluded on crowded days. On those days, they only care about the occasional visitor that paid full price to enter the park on that day. The only days you are important to Disney are the days when the park would be empty without you. That is why the lower APs black out busy days. THEY DON'T WANT YOU THERE ON THAT DAY.

Ralph Wiggum
06-28-2001, 11:25 AM
with all due respect Nfatuated, Little snots was not refering to everyone who uses fastpass, it was refering to those people who walk by and flaunt their passes in the faces of the people fastpass line.

I agree that fastpass can be benifitial. I have used it many times but for the most part its hard for us who dont come in the mornings. It benifit many people but in order to accomplish this they have to inconvience many many more.

Fats pass is availible to everyone and those who do not use it should not complain about those who do.

It is available to all as you say when its available. But its first come first serve and only a certain amount of people can use it. We are TRYing to use it like you said, but we cant cause its sold out by the time we get there. Thats why i said in my original post it needs some major tweaking!!

EandCDad
06-28-2001, 12:13 PM
Although I'm an AP and can't put myself in the shoes of the visitor non-AP, I disagree that it hurts them or diminshes the experience by making them "plan their day." What does diminish an experience is waiting in 1 to 2 hour lines at certain attractions which is how I waited for Pirates, Indy, and others before fastpass. A person with a limited amount of time can now get the fastpass and have a nice lunch or actually see and talk to Belle rather than miss her because they spent all day in line. And boy, you spend 2 hours in a ride line with two kids and tell me you don't want fastpass. Finally, if that is the way the park is set up, smart guys like you should probably alter their schedules to work around it. I have confidence in you, you can handle it.;)

Dlandmom
06-28-2001, 12:40 PM
Hi, EandCDad, I don't know if you were commenting on my prior post or someone else's but you do bring up a good point.

Overall, I definitely like FastPass more than I dislike it, and yes, I can't imagine going through hour long lines with a child (well, yeah, I CAN imagine it...it just won't ever happen in real life!). But, don't you think that for a first time or occasional visitor who's experiencing Disneyland and/or FastPass for the first time it just may not be what they anticipated? I mean, most people know "about" Disneyland and the E ticket rides, so I'd say that many would look forward to going on as many of the "popular" rides as they can. And I would guess that they've only planned on being at the park for a day or two. Well, the way FastPass seems to be working now, if you get there a little too late, or if you don't go to the "right" rides to get FastPasses at the "right" time, then you may be a little disappointed when after two days, you haven't been able to hit all the attractions you wanted to hit. Yes, you probably would be able to explore more of Disneyland that you may not always see, but if you have limited time for a visit, and FastPass seems to make you wait long times for either your FastPass time to come up or for the slower standby lines to move, then maybe you'd be a little disappointed.

On the face of it, don't you think FastPass really should have sort of an offsetting effect. I mean, you go on a ride with FastPass and the line is 75% faster than "usual." Then, while you were waiting for the FastPass time to come up, you go to another ride and wait in the standby line which is 75% slower than usual. So, in effect, during the same 3 hour period, you've hit 2 rides, whether you stood in 2 90-minute lines or did a FastPass line in 15 minutes and a standby line in 165 minutes?

In an argument FOR FastPass, theoretically you could do 2 FastPass rides during the same 3 hour period, having to wait only 30 minutes total for the 2 rides, and then spend the remaining 150 minutes browsing in shops, eating, meeting some characters, resting, etc.?

Okay, I know there are lots of variables, but I'm just speaking in general and theoretical terms. And, keep in mind this is all from someone who's experienced FastPass many times, not the occasional visitor who may not be able to figure it out quickly.

I really am just playing devil's advocate here. Any comments?