PDA

View Full Version : Crazydad -- May16-18, 2008 -- Grand Californian

crazydad123
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, my wife and I stayed at the Grand Californian on DVC points for the weekend of our son's graduation from Chapman University. An old school friend is a cast member, so she signed us in on Friday evening. Very crowded, didn't manage to do much at all but look around, grab some dinner at Redd Rocket's, and dodge people.

The Grand Californian is beautiful, but a little disorienting after we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in WDW--the pool is on the opposite side. They are not at all into DVC mode--no one said "Welcome Home" and valet parking is NOT included, though the resort fee is. No one anywhere seemed to know much about next weekend's hoopla for DVC members.

Son graduated--outside, in the sun, and it was HOT! I've lived in Phoenix my whole life, and I haven't spent that much time voluntarily being cooked since I was much younger. Brought back all these memories of being a kid before air conditioning was universal.
Then came Sunday.

We had bought Park Hoppers, because there was no way I was going to ask a friend to sign us in at 7 AM! We hit the park for Magic Morning, immediately headed for Nemo. Rode Nemo, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, did the 4 Fantasy Land dark rides, then Thunder Mountain. Picked up a Fast Pass for Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise'd, and met our friends for breakfast at 9:30. Finished breakfast, did the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, then figured our luck was done--there was a 55 minute wait for the Haunted Mansion and Pirates was down! Shades of summer!

So, we got a fastpass for Splash and walked over to California Adventure. Our efficient streak kicked back in and we did single rider passes for Soaring and Grizzly River Rapids--doing both in a half hour, where the wait times added up to 3 hours! Strolled over to ToT, got on in 15 minutes, then went and caught the Muppets.

Walked back over, saw the 50-Year Celebration movie, did Splash, the Indian canoes, the Mansion (now a 5 minute walk-in) and Pirates. Picked up souvenirs at Downtown Disney, got back to retrieve the car and luggage, and drove home.
Amazing what two mature Disney fans can do in one day! All the mountains and just about every "E-ticket" plus some that have special memories.

So that was our trip--now, no more Disney until Saratoga Springs and WDW in October!
Crazydad (and Happymom)

iloveDLR227
05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
whoa 55min. 4 HM ?????!!!! That is insane !!!!! My sis and her friend went to DLR on Fri. and had a good time riding all the good rides that she wanted... I'm going to DCA on the 30th.... hopefully I wont have any trouble...
Good report !!!

Pr1ncess365
05-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Love it- It sounds like you had a blast