PDA

View Full Version : please listen to the cast members!

Pages : [1] 2 3

pixar
05-18-2008, 12:23 AM
why can't people simply listen to the working cast members? and I'm not talking about young children. I'm talking about adults. a couple of recent incidents:

on tower of terror, the cm specifically said no photos or videos of any kind before the ride started. a couple had both a camcorder and camera. the guy is videotaping while the girl is taking pictures. the cm questioned them after the ride was over.

while waiting for the tram back to mickey's, a man jumped on board after the cm said no more boarding right before the tram was about to leave. the cm, over the tram speakers, asked the man to get off. that sure was embarrassing for that guest!

Tan Da Man
05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
People have done what theyve wanted for thousands of years..I dont think a Cast member is going to change that...I doubt these people care, its not a big deal.

stan4d_steph
05-18-2008, 05:26 AM
It is a big deal when some careless guest's actions threatens the safety of other guests.

Malcon10t
05-18-2008, 06:49 AM
It is a big deal when some careless guest's actions threatens the safety of other guests.Right. The cameras could have come out of their hands and struck other guests. Fortunately, the CMs have the power to remove the guest from the park and confiscate their ticket.

When we were at DCA over Christmas, my kids went on the Orange Stinger. I watched it start, heard a couple announcements, then it stopped. But only 1 person unloaded, and it restarted. I asked the kids what happened when they came off. Seems a gentleman decided to try and spin his swing and they asked him to stop and he refused, so they stopped the ride and had him exit. Yes, I would think that is very embarressing.

And we all know about the tram accidents.

mistofviolets
05-18-2008, 08:12 AM
People of all ages seem to think they are invincible these days, and are very self centered. :(

I was at a carousel not long ago, watching my kids go round, when two others started goofing off. They were told over the speaker to stop. Then they started horse jumping. The ride was stopped, they were spoken to, and it started again. Soon ot was stopped and the worker (not Disney, definately not a cm situation!) took them looking for the parent. From what I heard of the conversation the parent immediately took a "My kids could do no wrong, your rules are the problem." Point of view.

Anyways...long story toillustrate the problem isn't just Disney guests, and that there are some serious issues in society in general.

Escape2Disney
05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
It isn't just on rides either! People can be exceptionally self-centred! We were eating at Carnation Cafe the day before Thanksgiving. We were at a table near the street, but close to the restaurant wall. The family next to us had 4 out-of-control little boys. The CM let the parents know on more than one occasion that the children were being destructive (dumping salt/pepper shakers, running around tables, etc.) That poor CM was working really hard to handle the situation. The parents' only reaction was "yes, they are active boys"

It finally went too far. I walk with a cane. When I stood up and walked toward the bathrooms, one of the little boys (around 12 years old) walked straight up to me, looked me in the eye, and kicked the cane out from under my hand! If it weren't for my daughter, I would have fallen!

The CM ejected the family from the restaurant (and I assume the park).

danyoung
05-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Just to mix things up a bit, I'll say that while people can be idiots and not listen to instructions, CM's can at times be a bit over the top in the use of their power. One example would be the CM who doesn't want to be bothered by a guest who wants to ride in the back (or front) of a roller coaster, a common and easy to grant request at parks since the beginning of time. Another would be the announcements over ride loudspeakers to stop flash photography. Now, that flash on Pirates is indeed annoying, but a loud voice echoing everywhere and commanding the photography to STOP seems to me to be far worse at taking you out of the fantasy.

tokarrai
05-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I have to remind guests not to take flash pictures during the submarine voyage, but if I see flashes going off during the voyage, I don't get on the loudspeaker and interrupt the show. Normally, after 2 or 3 beautiful shots of the cameras reflection off a porthole, they figure out why they need to turn off the flash.

I feel bad about the darkness of the sub and the show being interrupted by a bright flash of light, but I don't want to ruin it further by getting on the mic and requesting that they stop.

I think I said something once when there was a LOT of flash photography going on....there's some silence after the mine scene before the "pretty lights" that I went ahead, got on the mic, and said "Explorers, THAT'S the reason I requested you don't distract the helmsman with flash photography!"

Not a single flash was seen the rest of the voyage.

T

Infinitely
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
It doesn't bother me when they remind the guests over the microphone, however I have never noticed the request making the photographer stop.

Tan Da Man
05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
obviously there are rules in place for a reason...and yea it is annoying when people take pictures on the rides, but theyre not going to stop and its not really the end of the world because some tourist takes some pictures.

Malcon10t
05-18-2008, 12:55 PM
We were on POTC, when these people (mom and couple daughters) were using flash and taking a picture of EVERY flipping thing! It was definitely their first trip, but was so annoying. They did come on and ask them to stop, but didn't work. Neither did glaring at them, BUT...

Suddenly, by the ships fight scene, the ride stopped. Not long after, lights came on. They are all buzzing about why it stopped. MDM turns and looks at them and says "Too much flash".... Once the ride started, there was no more flash...

Tan Da Man
05-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Yea that is annoying...last year when I went, we were on POTC and it was just me, my then gf, an a guy with his two kids.

The guy was on his cell phone talking the ENTIRE ride...and the two kids had these light-up swords and were screaming and having sword fights with each other...

I almost had to throw them overboard.

DaDuckFan1955
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
If you're gonna take a lot of flash pics in POTC dark ride or other ride, get an early in ticket, rush to the ride if you are first there or hopefully wait until a lull in the line and ask the CM if you and your group/family can ride a boat alone. If there is not a line of more than 10-15 people they will likely agree.

Back in April 2007 my son & I did this and were the first ones at the ride. We got a boat alone and the next 2-3 boats behind us were empty. So I felt safe and comfortable knowing I would not 'ruin' anyone elses ride experience shooting a lot of flash pics over 80+ and never heard a "NO FLASH", while also getting to see detail that is hidden, but once you see it realize why it is.

Also the painting in the dark rides is made to reflect the mood lighting and with flashes it does ruin the scene somewhat unless you are a POTC junkie.

although I recently purchased a high Speed DLSR so I can capture the ride with it's lighting mood effects which is more fun to look at than flash pics. Can't wait until this November...

Infinitely
05-18-2008, 03:06 PM
No, no, no...the reason there is no flash photography is it brings the audio-animatronics to life which then increases the wait time for the restroom or a churro...because you know the first thing think is "mmmm churro".

Well, some may get Dole whips...I heard that is what happened to the crab while he was missing, first he watched the Enchanted Tiki Room show a couple of times, and after finishing his second whip, on a sugar high he went and free a bunch of the kids in small world...it was chaos!

Rufus T Firefly
05-18-2008, 04:31 PM
No, no, no...the reason there is no flash photography is it brings the audio-animatronics to life which then increases the wait time for the restroom or a churro...because you know the first thing think is "mmmm churro".

Well, some may get Dole whips...I heard that is what happened to the crab while he was missing, first he watched the Enchanted Tiki Room show a couple of times, and after finishing his second whip, on a sugar high he went and free a bunch of the kids in small world...it was chaos!

I've heard that too! It must be true! :eek:

MouseWife
05-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Rules are in place for a reason. Be it safety, comfort of others, whatever.

People are selfish and arrogant to think that rules do not apply to them.

It is a big deal.

I like the idea of being able to ride early so that you do no disturb the others, the flash on rides hurts my eyes, ruins the ride for me. How I'd love to get those people after the ride and have everyone on the boat take flash pictures of them...see how their eyes feel.

As far as CM's not doing the cool thing and letting people sit in the front or the back, where ever they want, that is really not practical. While is it nice to have that happen, what is fun is the spin of the wheel, so to speak, the luck of being in a certain spot on the ride. Perhaps if you don't get it the first time, try again. If you get the same thing every time, how boring.

I really hope that 12 year old kid was thrown out of the park for knocking your cane. I honestly don't know what I'd have done if I'd have seen that. People need to teach their kids respect. In the end, it shows not only respect for others, but respect for themselves that they are worth more than to act like that.

Great topic!

Now, shall we address drivers who do whatever they want?

Malcon10t
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Now, shall we address drivers who do whatever they want?That thread is in the lounge...

Tan Da Man
05-18-2008, 04:55 PM
That thread is in the lounge...

And I am winning in it!

Donald Duck Fan68
05-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm not bothered by a CM coming over the loudspeaker reminding guests not to use flash photography. But what I am bothered by is the arrogance of guests who continue to flash away AFTER the CM has reminded them over loudspeaker not to use a flash.

There's a podcast on The Big D riding the train and it happens over and over in the Grand Canyon/Dinosaur Diorama. CM announces not to use a flash before they get in; once inside, 3 or 4 flashes go off, CM reminds again; flashed continue, CM again; more flashes... After a while you just got to wonder what some people are thinking.

I was on ToT once when some guests in the front row decided to let go of some objects on purpose, and our elevator came to a screeching hault. They got a stern talking to and were removed from the ride, and the rest of us were given an opportunity to ride again if we wanted.

MouseWife
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
That thread is in the lounge...

LOL I did see that after...Thanks for the direction, though. ;)

Winning? Someone is winning? A conversation?

Not following instructions. Unfortunately, I've seen people take advantage of not understanding English very well. Or, acting as if they don't. I feel if I am in a place where I do not speak or understand the language very well, I am going to do my best to find out what I do not understand and follow the others' leads. Signs, etc., they can all direct.

A very sad example. We recently went to Yosemite. We were against the river and it was fenced off by a short wooden fence, nothing difficult to climb, but, it had signs on it with the a foot in a circle with the line across it. It said 'Give Growth a Chance' or something like that. Also, we were told upon check in, as the clerk went over the rules with us, highlighting things, no wood was to be collected around the area for fires as well as fires only between 5 and 10p.m.

Well, a family near to us must have thought we were nuts paying $10 for a box of firewood because heck, climb over this fence and you can bring back armloads of wood!!! And, it was cold in the a.m. so they had a roaring fire going about 9.am. As we were leaving, we did see a ranger heading that way.

That is actually pretty frightening about the TOT. Can you imagine if things were to get caught up in some mechanism or something? Or, as a mom {as I am} would say, someone could have gotten their eyes poked out!!!:eek:

PanFan
05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Just today I had one SBL boat with a bunch of kids on it. We allow two whale watchers on the bow, but they need to stay seated just like everyone else in the boat. Over the course of that trip, I think I had four different kids up there; a number of people switched sides they were riding on; one dad watched his son drag his finger through the water until I asked the boy to sit up; and then near the entrance to the Cave of Wonders, a full grown man stands up to take a picture. I stopped the boat and asked him to sit down. He said, "Oh, I'm just taking a picture" then proceeded to take his sweet time framing the shot. I told him I couldn't move the boat forward until he was seated, which he finally did. I barely get to Cinderella's when he has his daughter switch sides so he can get another picture of her. After the Patchwork Quilt, he asked her to switch back! No one listened to my "Remain seated until my count of three" spiel and all stood up when the boat stopped. It was crazy!!

There was one guy a few weeks ago who put his hands in the water as we were leaving the dock (yes, the green water at SBL). I asked him to stop, he did it again around Alice. Then at the Casey dock, he gets a handful and wipes it all over his infant's face. I said, "Sir, that water is very dirty." His response: "Oh, well he had sucker on his face." I certainly hope the child didn't get extremely sick with whatever diseases are floating around in there!

There was someone at the Carrousel quite a while ago who didn't have a safety strap around their 2 year old. I came around doing my check and asked her to put one on him. She said he wouldn't keep it on and kept pushing it off. I asked her to try and she did and, sure enough, the kid squawked and she took it off. I said he needed a safety strap to ride since his feet didn't reach the stirrups. She indignantly replied "I can hold a 2 year old child on a carousel horse!" I said, "I'm sure you can, but I can't let him ride without a safety strap. This is for his safety." I said she could hold him while standing between two horses or they could sit on the bench without a strap. She got all huffy and took him off the horse. The rest of their party was waiting outside and asked what was going on. She points at me and goes "She won't let him ride." I said, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Have a magical day!" as I opened the exit gate for them.

I've got another fantastic story from Dumbo, but I'm going to wait and see if the CM who actually experienced it posts it first...

PanFan
05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Thought of another one.

I think I've posted this story before, but I was riding Splash as a single rider back a few months ago and three teenage boys were sitting in front of me. They were trying to rock the log, were screaming bloody murder as the log came off the top of the first lift, were splashing each other, and had their hands out touching everything they could reach. Now, I wasn't in costume or anything (obviously) and I'm very non-confrontational when I'm not actually working, so I was just rolling my eyes and dealing with it. When we started climbing the second lift (with the barrels and the owl), the kid in front of me was touching the sides and got a splinter and started cussing. I was near my breaking point, but continued to stay silent. At the bottom of Slippin' Falls, the kid in front splashed the two behind him and, as a result, got me wet. Now I realize this is a water ride, but this was just too much so I finally said, "Guys! Thank you!!" The one in front of me said, "See man, you got her wet. And I'm bleeding!" I quickly responded with, "Well, maybe that's why you should keep your hands in the boat." There wasn't another hand out of the boat, another splash, even another peep from them the entire remainder of the trip!

Burnt Toast
05-18-2008, 06:07 PM
One example would be the CM who doesn't want to be bothered by a guest who wants to ride in the back (or front) of a roller coaster, a common and easy to grant request at parks since the beginning of time.

You've probably never worked Grouper on a major attraction. While it seems to be easy to grant every request for the front or back if you chime in from the sidelines, there's also space issues involved. Most attractions only have enough room in the loading area for one or two groups to wait around for a spot to open up.

On busy days good CMs will double or triple group their vehicles just so the line keeps moving at a brisk pace and they are keeping up with the loaders... on an attraction like Indy or Thunder where I worked, that's a lot of people waiting at their rows. On those attractions I would only let max two groups waiting off to the side for the back or the front or whatever... any more then that is just too many people. Once I'm able to get one of those groups waiting into the rows that they want, then I would be able to grant the next group's request.

Also, granting too many requests (because you can't honestly believe you're the ONLY one asking for the front or the back) would cause CMs to not be able to keep up with their loads.

It's easy to chime in from the sidelines and assume that Grouping is cake, you have to consider real world logistics... and on busy days it's very challenging. I always wanted to grant every request for whichever row groups of Guests would want... but sometimes I had to tell them that I'm sorry and that I could not grant it at that time and offer to put them as close to what they want as possible. If I had two groups already waiting for row 15 on Thunder, then I'm sorry, I'll offer to put you as close as possible to the back but I will let you know that I will not be able to fully accomodate you at that time.

PanFan
05-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Ditto, Burnt.

Donald Duck Fan68
05-18-2008, 08:04 PM
...and then near the entrance to the Cave of Wonders, a full grown man stands up to take a picture. I stopped the boat and asked him to sit down. He said, "Oh, I'm just taking a picture" then proceeded to take his sweet time framing the shot. ...

LOL, I think I'll try that line next time I'm pulled over by a police officer. Honestly, it seems that the excuse of taking a picture seems to excuse one from any rules whatsoever.