PDA

View Full Version : Rides By Yourself

Pages : [1] 2

PirateoftheCaribbean
06-27-2001, 08:20 AM
Has anyone here ridden a ride all by themselves? Which was the best as a single rider?

1. Splash Mountain. It was so fun being so light. On the drop, I leaned back like I was just relaxing. I had to buy the picture.

2. Pirates of the Caribbean. It was so dark and murky.

3. Star Tours. It was really cool. I could bump around all I want.:p

I've also done Country Bears and Haunted Mansion alone.

How about you?

Largent81
06-27-2001, 08:23 AM
I've done space mountain alone twice. I hated not having someone to laugh with. I want to do mansion by myself though. I need some guts. I scare to easy!!!:eek:

Morrigoon
06-27-2001, 08:30 AM
The only ride I like my own vehicle for is Autopia.

I think there's tremendous value in shared experiences- Rides like Matterhorn become better the heavier your vehicle is, Teacups would be dull (and slow) if it was just me spinning, what's the fun of thrilling coasters if you don't have someone with you to talk about it with afterwards, and Superstar Limo would have REALLY sucked if I didnt have my friend there to make snide comments to!

I like being alone in the park sometimes, but the things I do are different - usually I sit somewhere with a nice view and sketch.

cstephens
06-27-2001, 09:52 AM
I used to go on attractions alone quite a bit. When I first bought my AP in 1997, I didn't really know anyone else who was an AP. Nowadays, I'm usually with my husband and maybe a few friends, and on the rare occasion when I'm at DL alone, I end up running into people I know.

I pretty much enjoy all of the attractions alone, except for the Matterhorn. Riding by myself leaves me too much room, so I end up getting banged around a lot and get off with bruises, so I never ride that alone.

amynicole22
06-27-2001, 09:59 AM
I've gone twice to the park by myself, and it's a strange experience. Folks seem to be sort of suspect of people who are riding solo - at least that's the impression I had. I've also toured Epcot and the MK by myself in Florida and I didn't get this feeling there - maybe it's more common at WDW.

Anyway - the one time I rode Space Mountain solo, it was a busy day and the CM put me next to (rather rudely, I might add), an eight-year-old boy who did not want me there. You may want to specify that you don't want to sit next to another solo rider - it can be a bit uncomfortable and take away from the fun of riding by yourself. Or, you never know, you might make a friend.

It is very fun to just kind of wander around by yourself though - shop when and where you want, eat where you want, etc. I can see how Splash Mountain might be a good one to ride solo as well. Plenty of legroom and you can put your feet on the bench to keep from getting too wet.

But, generally, I find it more fun to go with friends. It's the experiences that make Disneyland so much fun, not necessarily the rides themselves.

Gemini Cricket
06-27-2001, 10:04 AM
I noticed it was hard to enjoy myself on Big Thunder riding alone. I kept sliding side to side in my seat. It felt like I was going to fly out of the car.

Audience type rides are fun and easy to do alone: ie "Honey, I shrunk", "Star Tours", "Bear Country", "Tiki"...

Dlandmom
06-27-2001, 03:13 PM
Largent81, I recently rode HM alone, and although my heart was pumping all the way through, it felt great when I finished the ride alive and in one piece! In a certain way, I enjoyed the ride a lot more because I could really immerse myself in my surroundings...it was scary, but it was exciting!

Other than HM, the only ride I ever did alone was the good ol' Peoplemover (sigh), and that was a great way to end the day.

On a slightly different note, I go to the park by myself quite a bit (being an AP), but usually I get "placed with" another solo rider. I love to explore the park on my own...you really do see things that you miss when you're "distracted" by a friend.

Gregmh48
06-27-2001, 04:07 PM
I've done all the Fantasyland dark rides alone.

Lani
06-27-2001, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by amynicole22
I've gone twice to the park by myself, and it's a strange experience. Folks seem to be sort of suspect of people who are riding solo - at least that's the impression I had.My experience has sometimes been different. I actually really enjoy doing the park solo. I find starting conversations to be a real breeze with strangers in the queue, and I've gotten to meet lots of folks from all over the place this way. Yes, some of them are surprised you're there alone, but that usually opens up the conversation some more -- WHY are you alone? (because I have an AP and I'm here frequently, etc.)... Wow, you're here all the time? What do you think about X? etc.

BillabongBoiBG
06-27-2001, 04:47 PM
I go alone many times. I have been going to Disneyland at least 2 times a week this summer, and I usually go alone. I love it! Sure I love to go with people, too, but Ialso like to go alone, I talk to people I don't know, so I make new friends. I have neve had an experience where a CM made me sit with someone who I didnt know, they always put me in my own seat.

blusilva
06-27-2001, 05:11 PM
I like doing HM alone. It gives me the mental space I need to really immerse myself in the ride. But then again, I'm the person who sits in the second row of the movie theater cuz I don't like people in front of me.

I've done Matterhorn alone. That was PAINFUL. All sliding around in the seat. It was a workout, I tell ya.

I've done Mr. Lincoln alone. That was very special. Again, the whole "immersion" aspect for me was great.

Recently, I did Snow White and Pinocchio alone. I love those rides, so it gave me the opportunity to squirm around in my ride vehicle (keeping my arms, leg, head and torso inside at all times, of course) and look at specific interesting elements.

I always go with a group, but we are all APs...so sometimes one or more of us say "hey, I wanna do this one solo" and no one is offended. :) It works for us!

blusilva

bookgrrl
06-27-2001, 06:00 PM
I've done Splash alone (pretty fun, you can stretch out like someone else mentioned). I've also done Big Thunder alone, which wasn't so great -- too much sliding around and bashing into the side of the car. I definitely think it's more fun to experience the attraction with someone else and through their eyes as well.

Mandrake Linux
06-27-2001, 07:45 PM
Memory Amplifier

Do this:
Go to Disneyland every week (and for you lucky freeloaders, everyday) and just stay there for a few hours, or a whole day. After one year go along with 5 or more people. I guarantee you'll feel the magic. It's a whole different world.

AC/DC: Who thinks Lo$t Angeles is getting too dirty.

Dreamstaker
06-27-2001, 09:49 PM
I have gone on Indiana Jones by myself. I have gone on the bucket alone at the Haunted House, but I have never been the only one to go in the elevator or down the hallway, that might be spookey. Oh, and Rocket Rods.

Matterhorn Fan
06-28-2001, 06:58 AM
Often I go to DL with people who won't go on any of the mountains, so I've done them (except for Splash, which I usually skip) alone. I have to disagree about Big Thunder alone. Sit on the right side--when you get to the goat you'll slide all the way to the left and it's great!

I thought DL never sat you next to someone that wasn't in your party(?). Has that happened to many people there?

Largent81
06-28-2001, 11:18 AM
When I was 7 years old they sat me next to a punk rocker because my Grandpa had to ride with my little brother. Boy, was I freaked out. He ended up being nice and pointed out that my white pants were glowing. Now that my little brother is a punk rocker, I realize they're not all bad. However, I think it odd they would sit a young child next to a stranger, let alone a punker.

JRob2k1
06-28-2001, 12:36 PM
One time I was meeting my party back at the hub because I had gone off by myself to enjoy the park instead of race around. I walked by the mansion and it was a 5 min wait so I got on. (This was at 11:59 PM) When I got to the elevator there was one other person in there and that was creepy. The ride is actually a little intense when you're the only one around. Whew!!

-JRob

Napsto
06-28-2001, 05:43 PM
haunted is fun alone when you reach out to your friend in the next dooom bugy and scare the hell out of them!

Uncle Dick
03-06-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I think there's tremendous value in shared experiences- Rides like Matterhorn become better the heavier your vehicle is, Teacups would be dull (and slow) if it was just me spinning,
That's not the case when I'm alone in a tea cup! When I rode them one early Sunday morning, the CM running the attraction did a running commentary on the fastest spinning tea cups. Guess who won? :D

what's the fun of thrilling coasters if you don't have someone with you to talk about it with afterwards,
It's fun to go fast and get that "feeling" in your stomach during the dips and whip around corners and what not.

Whenever I go to the parks alone (which is basically every time I go to the parks, period), I always dream of being seated next to some hot chick who is, coincidentally, also alone on rides like GRR, California Screamin', Indy or what have you. Inevitably, a conversation starts and she is wowed by my massive Disney knowledge..... and..... and....... :sigh: I'm tellin' ya, one of these days, it's gonna happen! One of these days..... :(

Duo Maxwell
03-06-2002, 11:01 PM
I've gone on rides by myself all the time.

Hyperboy
03-07-2002, 12:46 AM
One morning I went on Mansion by myself -- got out of the elevator and ran to the doom buggys. there weren't people on the ride for QUITE a few cars behind, so it was quite creepy knowing you were the ONLY person in Leota's room, not to mention the graveyard.....

disneyholic family
03-07-2002, 08:37 AM
when i'm in WDW with just my kids i end up riding alone...
it's not a problem on most rides, but on thunder mountain i'm all over the seat....every turn i end up sliding to the other side....you really need the other body to anchor you down...
in a way, it adds to the ride...though getting squished by my husband when he rides it with me is also entertaining...

Ace
03-07-2002, 04:34 PM
I was on the first log of the day in Splash Mountain once. I was all alone. It was kinda scary...

Niwel
03-07-2002, 07:18 PM
I've had an AP since January of 2001 and I've gone by myself to Disneyland and DCA at least 20 times --- that includes my first time at DCA. (I've only gone with someone else 4 or 5 times)

I love going by myself! I've done Millionaire, gotten a glass of wine at Golden Vine, watched fireworks, gone on the Holiday Tour, eaten at River Belle for breakfast ---all by myself.

Its no big deal and you really learn to appreciate everything.

It feels weird now when I do go with people because I think going alone spoils you a little

Things I have yet to do by myself at the Resort
1) Tough to be a Bug (because it freaks me out)
2) Eaten at the Blue Bayou (slightly expensive, but now that I have my premium, I just might do it)

That's it folks -- there is nothing you CAN'T do when you are alone... so go for it :)

BJW
03-08-2002, 11:53 AM
The ride that spooked me out the most riding solo on was Pirates of the Carribbean because it was after 11PM and the attendance was low due to a storm in the area all day. The CMs at the dock told me that I was the only guest in the whole building riding the ride. The dark tunnel parts after the drops were pretty scary. However, my worst experience going solo on a ride was Jumpin Jellyfish at DCA because I looked stupid being the only adult on the ride. The only reason I rode was because it was the day of the power outtage and the crew hadn't reset most of the other rides in the area yet. :)