PDA

View Full Version : How many 'real' attractions are at DCA?

SimpTwister
06-26-2001, 09:05 PM
Oddly, I don't think I've seen anyone put quite this spin on the subject.

How many of the 'attractions' Disney lists for DCA would you consider substantial enough to count as 'real' attractions?

My list:

California Screamin'
Grizzly River Run
Soarin' Over California
King Triton's Carousel
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Muppet-Vision 3D
Animation
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail

...and maybe

Sun Wheel (this makes the list only if they take you around more than once).
Golden Dreams
SuperStar Limo
Golden Vine Winery (it's a restaurant, but it's *kind of* an attraction...)

That's 12, tops.

What I didn't include, and why:

Maliboomer: Eyesore. Inferior to the similar ride just down I-5.

Mulholland Madness: I like Wild Mouse coasters just fine, but even putting a coaster like Screamin' in a Disney park is pushing it. MM is just too carny (plus it's always down).

Golden Zephyr: I wanted to like this ride since it's a faithful reproduction of an actual popular vintage amusement ride (and I like the way it looks). Now I guess we see why they all died out- boring, and always down.

Orange Stinger: c'mon...

Jumpin' Jellyfish: See above

Mission Tortilla Factory: Ditto.

Boudin Bakery: -sigh-

S.S. Rustworthy: nope.

Games of the Boardwalk: This is kind of an anti-attraction (a 'repulsion', if you will).

What do y'all think?

gppnj
06-27-2001, 07:41 AM
I would not hesitate to consider Golden Dreams and Superstar Limo attractions. I liked Golden Dreams a lot. Superstar Limo might be a bad attraction, but it's still an attraction.

I can't consider the Sun Wheel an attraction. As a ride, it has virtually no value. I think its only redeeming quality is that it looks pretty at night. I also wouldn't consider Golden Vine Winery an attraction.

I'd also consider the Steps In Time show an attraction. Again, you might not like it, but you didn't say it needed to be a *good* attraction. (I thought it was OK.)

Regarding the things you don't consider attractions, I'm with you 100%. Cheap carnival rides are not attractions, and I'm also repulsed and appalled by those tacky midway games.

So I guess my tally gives DCA 11 real attractions. Quite a difference from the number DCA claims it has, eh?

Originally posted by SimpTwister
Oddly, I don't think I've seen anyone put quite this spin on the subject.

How many of the 'attractions' Disney lists for DCA would you consider substantial enough to count as 'real' attractions?

My list:

California Screamin'
Grizzly River Run
Soarin' Over California
King Triton's Carousel
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Muppet-Vision 3D
Animation

...and maybe

Sun Wheel (this makes the list only if they take you around more than once).
Golden Dreams
SuperStar Limo
Golden Vine Winery (it's a restaurant, but it's *kind of* an attraction...)

That's 12, tops.

What I didn't include, and why:

Maliboomer: Eyesore. Inferior to the similar ride just down I-5.

Mulholland Madness: I like Wild Mouse coasters just fine, but even putting a coaster like Screamin' in a Disney park is pushing it. MM is just too carny (plus it's always down).

Golden Zephyr: I wanted to like this ride since it's a faithful reproduction of an actual popular vintage amusement ride (and I like the way it looks). Now I guess we see why they all died out- boring, and always down.

Orange Stinger: c'mon...

Jumpin' Jellyfish: See above

Mission Tortilla Factory: Ditto.

Boudin Bakery: -sigh-

S.S. Rustworthy: nope.

Games of the Boardwalk: This is kind of an anti-attraction (a 'repulsion', if you will).

What do y'all think?

Morrigoon
06-27-2001, 08:22 AM
Let's see here... (and I'll try to be generous)

Screamin'
Soarin'
Griz
Limo (I told you I'd be generous)
Orange stinger
Jellyfish
Steps in Time (VERY generous!)
Muppets
Bugs Life
Animation
Ferris Wheel
Golden Dreams
Grizzly Rec Area

I hesitate to add these since they are never open, but as I said, I'll be generous:
Mulholland Madness
Golden Zephyr

I will not count the wine movie any more than I will count the bread and tortilla baking EXHIBITS. What separates Golden Dreams from Stages of the Vine is the addition of special effects. Even if it's just a projection of Whoopi's face on the proscenium, at least some attempt was made to upgrade it from a simple film. Anything less is no better than an exhibit. Seriously people, why would I pay $43 to do what less than $2 can do at my local Krispy Kreme?

So 15 attractions, 2 of which are never open.... some park, eh?

JeffG
06-27-2001, 10:31 AM
So how are we defining "attraction"? It seems to me that people are just deciding whether or not something is an "attraction" based on whether or not they happen to like it.

I think pretty much everything that has been mentioned in this thread is an attraction. That doesn't mean that I personally like every single one of them. It simply means that it fits the definition.

-Jeff

JRob2k1
06-27-2001, 11:52 AM
I agree with JeffG in that all those you mentioned probably should be considered attractions. Do I like some of those attractions....heck NO, but you have to remember that disneyland does the same thing. Last time I checked a map, werent cosmic waves, starcade, and the fronteirland arcade considered attractions?

But i totally understand where you're coming from, because since DCA doesnt have that many "big" attractions like Disneyland, its hard to call all these movies as attractions.

-JRob

SimpTwister
06-27-2001, 11:54 AM
True, these are all undeniably attractions of some sort.

When I said 'real' attraction, what I meant was 'an attraction that in some way fulfills one's expectations of what a Disney attraction should be'.

Using this definition, I stand by my list. (Though I might add the Hyperion show, which I previously overlooked).

Originally posted by JeffG
So how are we defining "attraction"? It seems to me that people are just deciding whether or not something is an "attraction" based on whether or not they happen to like it.

I think pretty much everything that has been mentioned in this thread is an attraction. That doesn't mean that I personally like every single one of them. It simply means that it fits the definition.

-Jeff

CTB21
06-27-2001, 06:27 PM
I would add guest relations to the list because most people who pay full price to get in will end up at this attraction to complain about how few attractions their are at DCA.;)

DisneylandBoy
06-28-2001, 08:43 PM
Ok, here goes

Hollywood Pictures Backlot:
Superstar Limo
Muppet Vision 3D
Animation Studio (adding my voice is awesome!)
and soon to be:
Millionaire
Sub-Total: 4

Golden State (I'm gonna do this as one group):
Soarin' Over CA - Condor Flats
Grizzly River Run - Grizzly Peak Rec Area
Redwood Creek Challenge - " "
It's Tough To Be A Bug - Bountiful Valley Farm
Golden Dreams - The Bay Area
Sub-Total: 5

Paradise Pier:
King Triton's Carousel
California Screamin'
Orange Stinger
Mulholland Madness
Jumpin Jellyfish
Sun Wheel
Mailboomer
Golden Zephyr
Sub-Total: 8

TOTAL: 17 (yikes!)
Disney's Total: 23

Difference: 6(not too bad)

Um . . .Disneyland has how many attractions?

DisneyFreak2000
06-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Grizzly River Run
Soarin'
Animation
Screamin'
Sun Wheel
King Triton's Carousel
Golden Dreams
Muppets
Tough To Be A Bug
SuperStar Limo
MaliBoomer

Uncle Dick
03-06-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy

TOTAL: 17 (yikes!)
Disney's Total: 23

Difference: 6(not too bad)

Um . . .Disneyland has how many attractions?
Here's my take on the DCA vs. Disneyland attraction number thingy.

DCA:
Golden Dreams
Golden Vine Winery (It's a good film.)
Grizzly River Run
It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Soarin' Over California
Disney Animation
Jim Henson's MuppetVision 3D
SuperStar Limo
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It!
California Screamin'
Golden Zephyr
Jumpin' Jellyfish
King Triton's Carousel
Maliboomer
Mulholland Madness
Orange Stinger
S.S. rustworthy
Sun Wheel
TOTAL: 19

Disneyland:
Disneyland Railroad
Fire Engine
Main Street Cinema
Horse-Drawn Streetcars
Horseless Carriage
Omnibus
The Walt Disney Story, featuring "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln"
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Splash Mountain
Enchanted Tiki Room
Indiana Jones Adventure
Jungle Cruise
Tarzan's Treehouse
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Mark Twain Riverboat
Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island
Sailing Ship Columbia
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean
Astro Orbiter
Autopia
Disneyland Monorail
HISTA
Innoventions
Space Mountain
Star Tours
Donald's Boat
Gadget's Go Coaster
Jolly Trolley
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Alice in Wonderland
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
"it's a small world"
King Arthur Carousel
Mad Tea Party
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Snow White's Scary Adventures
TOTAL: 42

First of all, live entertainment and live entertainment venues do not count as attractions. As much as I love BLAST!, Billy Hill and Fantasmic!, they simply aren't attractions in the classic sense.

Secondly, exhibits and/or "eye candy" are not attractions. Bountiful Valley Farm, Cosmic Waves, the Observatron, food making, NASA, and most of the stuff in Toontown fits this category. What about Innoventions? Well, while it is at its very core an exhibit, it contains a number of "attraction-like" elements including Audio Animatronics and simulator-type movement in the GM and AT&T areas. Donald's Boat? Well, it's more of a "play area" (like the rustworthy and Redwood Creek) than an "exhibit" and therefore eligible for attraction status.

Finally, arcades and other "pay for play" games are not attractions.

So there you have it. DCA has 19 "real" attractions while Disneyland has 42, and we won't even get into measuring "quality" (something even more subjective than the simple "attraction or not" question). ;) Not that I really care. With an AP, the whole resort is like one big park to me. :)