PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland College Program 08

disneysbunnygirl
05-08-2008, 06:13 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else is participating in the DCP starting at the end of May? I start May 23rd :) I am just looking for newbies like me.

letitsnow
05-08-2008, 06:51 AM
what is disneyland college program?

Niwel
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
what is disneyland college program?

Hi let!
The DLCP allows college students to work at the resort, and take courses in various areas of the business -- and Disney -- arenas. They now offer housing near the resort so students from around the country can participate.

For more info, you can go to their site (disneycollegeprogram.com) or check out our cast place section (click on the link in my .sig)

I was just wondering if anyone else is participating in the DCP starting at the end of May? I start May 23rd :) I am just looking for newbies like me.

DBG -- that's awesome! You'll have such an amazing time. If you are up to sharing your stories, you can send them to Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=cp)

PanFan
05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
DH is going to be doing it as well. He's actually got an MBA and is currently going for his certificate in accounting, so he's not your typical college program participant. But he's found Disney and extremely difficult company to break into at the professional level without Disney experience, so he figured he'd get some while he's in school and unable to do a *real* full time job (and DCP looks fantastic on a Disney resume!). He'll be in the stores and also starting May 23.

Niwel
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
That's great PanFan. :)
So now you are a two-Disney home?

CindyR
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
I was thinking about doing that, I go to CSUF and went to the presentation, but I don't know... it seems like a lot of time to work and classes to balance with a regular school schedule. It seems fun though. I wish I'd know about it before, I would have tried to do it by itself and skip classes a semester. I wanted to do my internship at Disneyland but I don't know if it's possible, because I know the recruiter for the college programs said its easiest to get a professional internship if you've worked there. I'm planning on doing my internship Fall '09. Too bad the college program doesn't qualify as an internship, but if I take the semester off for the college program it pushes back the internship to Spring '10.

Anyways, are you planning on taking classes while you do the program?

PanFan
05-09-2008, 07:58 AM
That's great PanFan. :)
So now you are a two-Disney home?

Two-Disney and student loan home, to be exact ;)

Niwel
05-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Anyways, are you planning on taking classes while you do the program?

From what I understand, taking courses can be difficult (not impossible, it just involves time juggling) while in the program. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=cp080108sl)

CV12Pirate
05-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Working while taking classes can be difficult. I carried 15 units while working 40 hours per week. For 156 weeks straight. No breaks. It kicked my butt.

Niwel
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Plus there are courses operated by Disney University you have to take while in the college program.

TTFN92
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi let!
The DLCP allows college students to work at the resort, and take courses in various areas of the business -- and Disney -- arenas. They now offer housing near the resort so students from around the country can participate.

For more info, you can go to their site (disneycollegeprogram.com) or check out our cast place section (click on the link in my .sig)

DBG -- that's awesome! You'll have such an amazing time. If you are up to sharing your stories, you can send them to Cast Place (http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=cp)

Thanks for the link. My sons teacher was just talking to me last night about her DD wanting to get a job at Disneyland. I told her about the program then when I saw this I forwarded it on to her. Much easier than her searching for it.

disneysbunnygirl
05-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah I am not the typical DCP participant as well. I am 29 years old for one thing. I decided that if I plan to get into a managing role I should start from the bottom. After I complete my degree I will apply for the professional internship.

I don't think I will have that hard of a time holding 12 units plus working for the Mouse.
I go to Orange Coast College and the school is giving me 4 units just for doing the DCP. My classes (3) will be mostly online with the exception of one. The Disney U classes are not that bad really. My class is scheduled every other Thursday @ 4-7pm and the rest I can complete online. I will have Tuesdays and Thursdays off which will give me time to tackle my studies and have family time. I hope lol! Eh its for the greatter good.

disneysbunnygirl
05-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Wow bad college student for misspelling greater! Shame on me :P

CindyR
05-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh, see if I could do online classes I would definately consider it. I'm just doing all upper division pretty much, so they require either two days in class for an hour and 15 minutes or 1 day for like 3 hours. I always take like 5 classes a semester. So that, plus the minimum two Disney classes, and working 4 days would be chaotic.

I'm thinking about it still though and maybe taking one semester to just do the program but I don't know. I could always finish all my classes, then start the program like May '09 and then do my internship Spring '10. I wanted to go to Disneyworld in Summer '09, so that would be put off a while.

Just in terms of working at Disneyland, not the college program, do they allow cast members to take like a week off if they provide notice, for vacation? Just wondering in case I decide to work there but not do the college program.

disneysbunnygirl
05-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I am sure they would if you gave 3 weeks notice for scheduling purposes. With the 2 days off you could go to school if you wanted to go that route. Or you could just finish your degree and apply for the Disney Professional Internship instead of the DCP.

I am only taking one disney class, it is a 16 week course. It is just a way to get my foot into the door. When I am not in school or working I am taking care of a disabled husband, autistic 4 year old and a foster daughter, so I am used to chaos. I am finising up my AA and when I transfer to Fullerton to get my BA I will only go part time while working full time. We will see if I survive this upcoming term.

Tan Da Man
05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I REALLY want to do this, but there is not an oppurtunity to do it during the summer and I dunno if it would be worth to take a semester off school for this..you will have to tell me how it goes..because I definately wanna do it

disneysbunnygirl
05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I'll keep you updated Tan Da Man.

As soon as I know where I will be working I will let you all know just in case anyone wants to drop by and say hi :)

PanFan
05-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I am sure they would if you gave 3 weeks notice for scheduling purposes. With the 2 days off you could go to school if you wanted to go that route. Or you could just finish your degree and apply for the Disney Professional Internship instead of the DCP.

Just thought I'd mention that while, yes, this is definitely a possibility, DH found it extremely difficult to break into a professional position (including professional internships) without having Disney experience on his resume. He had been a manager at Wal-Mart for 2 years and had both a BA in Business and an MBA. Even though he applied for the better part of 100 positions and internships over the course of about a year, nothing was offered to him except for one interview (and he was later informed that they hired an internal candidate). So he figures that doing DCP will be the best way to get his foot in the door with Disney.

disneysbunnygirl
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
That is good to know since I plan to be with Disney until they force me to retire lol.