PDA

View Full Version : Laptops in the park

DMC
09-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey, other than a possible bomb threat, would the park let a laptop in?

Brian

Andrew
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Don't know what you mean by bomb threat. I see laptops in the park all the time. In fact, we usually have one or two at the MouseAdventure scoring tables. You can even drop off your charger and spare battery at City Hall and they'll plug it in for you.

DMC
09-26-2002, 04:17 PM
The reason I thought the laptop could be a bomb threat because it could have the "guts" of the comp out and put in a bomb

Techie7
09-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Laptops are no problem and I see them all the time in the parks. There are much easier ways to get stuff inside the park through the security check (which I will not post for obvious reasons). I have not taken in a laptop but I would be ready to turn it on just in case though I have never seen them actually do it. It is just a habit that I got into at airports.

EandCDad
09-27-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
I have not taken in a laptop but I would be ready to turn it on just in case though I have never seen them actually do it. It is just a habit that I got into at airports.

On Topic - I've seen plenty of laptops in the parks. There might even by outside plugs as I saw two guys sitting at a table that they had pulled next to a wall in New Orleans Square one evening. They had laptops and I think they had power packs and cords out also. Might be wrong on that part, but the laptops seem to be fine.

Off Topic - I haven't had to turn my laptop on in an airport in quite some time, years maybe. Since 9/11, I do have to take it out of its case before it goes through the x-ray machine

hbquikcomjamesl
09-27-2002, 07:58 AM
I can understand taking a computer on vacation; I've had a notebook on every vacation I've taken for the past 3 years. I use it to update my vacation budget, to get as much photo captioning as possible done before I get home, to play old Infocom games on the train or in the hotel room, and to (when applicable) keep up with the homework on whatever class I'm taking at OCC at the time.

But what possible use would one have for a notebook computer in a theme park?:confused:

cstephens
09-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
But what possible use would one have for a notebook computer in a theme park?:confused:

Some of us have the luxury of being able to go to the resort not as a vacation but just as a normal place to visit on a regular basis. We've only taken a laptop to the resort once so far, when we were there on a very busy day and spent quite a few hours hiding in an out-of-the-way part of the resort. We'd brought DVDs but only ended up using the laptop as a CD player.

In the past, I've brought work or something else I'm doing to the resort because it's much nicer to do it there than sitting at home. And when you're done, you're already at the resort. Having a laptop now, I can think of a number of uses that it might come in handy for while at the resort.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Some of us have the luxury of being able to go to the resort not as a vacation but just as a normal place to visit on a regular basis.
I fit into that category myself. Although the frequency of my visits to Disneyland have dropped considerably since peaking in 1996 (when I averaged at least one visit per week), Disneyland is still, because of my pass, a cheaper place to spend an evening than, say, a movie or a concert.

My point (and no disrespect was intended, BTW) was that while carrying a notebook computer while on vacation makes perfect sense to me, carrying it into a theme park makes none whatsoever. In the unlikely event I were to want to listen to a CD in a theme park, I'd simply carry a portable CD player, because (1) it's lighter, (2) it's cheaper, and (3) my notebook has no CD-ROM drive, anyway; I deliberately bought an antiquated machine (the one it replaced was not merely an antique; it was a relic). And the other scenarios seem even less likely.

RStar
09-27-2002, 02:14 PM
You could hide a bomb in a vidieo camera even easier I would think. If one was serious, I'm sure they would consider useing something that would be less unusual like that. So I doubt they would give you a hassle over it.