PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort Theme Park Parking rates have gone up - 5/6/08

Darkbeer
05-06-2008, 06:32 PM
The new rates to park in the parking lots designed for one day visitors to the Theme Parks, effective May 6th, 2008.

Cars and Motorcycles - $12

Trucks with Trailers and RV's - $17

Buses - $22

pcrazy99
05-07-2008, 07:18 AM
We just take the hotel shuttle. It's free and no fights to get on the trams at the end of the night.

adriennek
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
We just take the hotel shuttle. It's free and no fights to get on the trams at the end of the night.

Which hotel is that? I know some of them still have a free shuttle but it seems everyone's going to pay one way or the other these days - or twice! Most hotels use ART which has a fee. And. Most of the local hotels are adding parking fees of their own.

Depending on the size of your family you have to decide if it's a better deal to pay for ART or pay for Parking.

Adrienne who refuses to fight for trams or shuttles. If the line's long, we walk.

disney_leonard
05-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Wow! Makes having a Premium AP or adding parking to your AP a better deal than ever.

SoCalDisneyLover
05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Wow! Makes having a Premium AP or adding parking to your AP a better deal than ever.

Don't worry, they'll raise the prices on those soon enough.

disney_leonard
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM

So true! I can't imagine what the increase will be this year!

Gone2Disneyland
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM

I was just speculating on this yesterday with a co-worker asking about annual passes. Sounds like us APers are getting accustomed to the annual price hikes. :p

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Okay, I read this the other day and kind of let it pass, but it's really been bothering me so I thought I would comment.

In the current economy, with gas at $4.00 per gallon, it feels like pure corporate greed to increase the parking price by $1.00. What will that bring in? Probably an additional $75,000 per week?

I can understand when ticket prices increase annually. Operating expenses regularly increase and (hopefully) salaries go up. They are investing billions in park upgrades. But parking is another matter...

There is nothing that is increasing customer satisfaction or convenience in charging more. You'll still wait to pay, follow a long line of cars up to park, walk (sometimes long distances...have you parked at Donald 9K lately?) to the escalators, wait in the plaza for a tram and finally reach the front gate. On a good day this takes a half hour!

Anyway, for those of us who count every penny in order to enjoy our time at DLR, I find this increase at this time to be just awful.

Okay, I just had to get it off my chest.

pixar
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I always think of situations like this as a supply and demand issue. if people are willing to spend an extra $1, I don't think disney will reject the increase in price. maybe if enough people decide not to park there, the benefit to the remaining people who do pay and park there is getting closer parking spots? :)

btw, I'm sure there are huge costs in maintaining a parking structure that size. I'm sure the people who work there would like to see their pays increased. having said all that, I'd still prefer everything still costs the same as it did yesterday.

as far as gas is concerned, even though it's at $4/gallon now, I'm afraid it can go much higher. I know a lot of people who depend on their cars, and unless it went up significantly more, they're still going to pay. sad I know, and I'm sure the oil companies love hearing everyone's dependencies on gas for their vehicles. :(

biolabetty
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
As much as I dislike any price increase, it is still cheaper to park all day at DLR than it is to go to a 3 hour baseball game at Dodger Stadium. I paid $15 for parking there 2 weeks ago.

Gone2Disneyland
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM
I always think of situations like this as a supply and demand issue. if people are willing to spend an extra $1, I don't think disney will reject the increase in price.

This reminds me of my biggest pet peeve about Disneyland rates: no child's rate annual passports. In particular, I think it is wholly unfair to not offer a child's rate Premium annual passport that does not include parking. I have friends with children, and I empathize with their budgetary concerns when they envy me (sorry, Mom, I'm still single :p) getting my Premium AP every year. But I'm sure Disney will never offer child's rate passports simply because people will pony up the money to get them for their children, it's the status quo.

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I always think of situations like this as a supply and demand issue. if people are willing to spend an extra $1, I don't think disney will reject the increase in price.

Yes, but it really is a monopoly. There are no alternatives when you are a local and commuting to DLR. I'm sure the extra buck will not deter many guests from coming to the resort and using the structure, but it sure feels like price gouging to me, especially the timing of it. For me, it's more a question of customer satisfaction. And Disneyland is all about that. It survives on customer satisfaction. Price increases during hard economic times just makes the experience a little less satisfying, that's all.

When you figure all of the expenses, it may mean making the decision to come to the resort less frequently. That will show as a loss in parking revenue, food and beverage consumption, and souvenirs, etc.

I know Disney is not a charitable foundation, but they are doing just fine financially. And look at the great publicity they could generate by saying they would "roll back" parking by $1 for a limited time, while we are all weathering the economic downturn.

pixar
05-08-2008, 11:26 AM
This reminds me of my biggest pet peeve about Disneyland rates: no child's rate annual passports. In particular, I think it is wholly unfair to not offer a child's rate Premium annual passport that does not include parking. I have friends with children, and I empathize with their budgetary concerns when they envy me (sorry, Mom, I'm still single :p) getting my Premium AP every year.

yeah that doesn't make sense. like a child will ever drive there and make use of that premium passport benefit? :rolleyes:

I just looked at the prices for the passes, and I had no idea they were that much! $379 for the premium? :eek:

pixar
05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, but it really is a monopoly. There are no alternatives when you are a local and commuting to DLR. I'm sure the extra buck will not deter many guests from coming to the resort and using the structure, but it sure feels like price gouging to me, especially the timing of it. For me, it's more a question of customer satisfaction. And Disneyland is all about that. It survives on customer satisfaction. Price increases during hard economic times just makes the experience a little less satisfying, that's all.

When you figure all of the expenses, it may mean making the decision to come to the resort less frequently. That will show as a loss in parking revenue, food and beverage consumption, and souvenirs, etc.

I know Disney is not a charitable foundation, but they are doing just fine financially. And look at the great publicity they could generate by saying they would "roll back" parking by $1 for a limited time, while we are all weathering the economic downturn.

I think you have a great promotional idea there...roll back some prices. make it more affordable. :)

(although I certainly hope that doesn't lead to new year's eve crowds!)

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
As much as I dislike any price increase, it is still cheaper to park all day at DLR than it is to go to a 3 hour baseball game at Dodger Stadium. I paid $15 for parking there 2 weeks ago.

Funny you should mention that! I used to go to the Dodgers frequently, but prices got so out of hand that I rarely go anymore. There were years I'd go maybe 20 times, now I go to maybe 2 games.

And the way it happened was through the gradual increases. I didn't reduce my attendance for a while, but then at some point I said, "I can't afford this anymore" and went cold turkey.

So, even though parking at DLR is a better deal than at Dodger Stadium, I'm afraid the same economic forces apply. At some point, the cost of the whole experience may exceed my budget. Will I go cold turkey? Probably, since costs are extremely high to just use a 1-day ticket every now and then.

Burnt Toast
05-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Which hotel is that? I know some of them still have a free shuttle but it seems everyone's going to pay one way or the other these days - or twice! Most hotels use ART which has a fee. And. Most of the local hotels are adding parking fees of their own.

Two off the to of my head are Sheraton Anaheim and the Hyatt Regency Orange County at the Disneyland Resort.

disney_leonard
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM

They need something like this to boost their goodwill among AP's and So. Cal. people in general. Unfortunately the two-fer deals are now generally seen as a given and expected during slower times. It reminds me of a scene from the movie Mr. Mom where Terri Garr's character presents a similar ad campaign for a tuna company. Everyone knows it's a marketing gimmick and they even add that when these economic hard times are over they plan to go back to the higher pricing.

With gas at $4 a gallon, the cost of living rising and homes going into foreclosure at rates not seen in decades, anything seen as "compassion" by a Fortune 500 company will be remembered for a long time.

CindyR
05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
I think another reason they don't feel the need to lower parking is that a lot of APers have parking so its not that big of a deal when parking goes up, and the people who come once or twice a year and pay for parking each time, don't come often enough to notice the parking rates go up. I'm sure it hits them as slightly pricey but compared to parking at stadiums and concert venues, it's normal.

And when I was at the Disney College Program Presentation a few weeks ago, the guy presenting commented about how APers come to Disneyland anytime they don't have school or work, so Disney is obviously aware of how often people use their passes, so I'm sure they assume parking prices won't make a significant difference to those who notice the change.

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I think another reason they don't feel the need to lower parking is that a lot of APers have parking so its not that big of a deal when parking goes up.

With a SoCal AP you are basically "ahead" of the game by it's second use ($91 per one day park hopper). Not so with the $59 parking add-on. Before the price increase, you were not "ahead" of the game until it's sixth use!
So, I didn't add parking to my AP.

The cost of driving to DLR has gone up. Gas is up 75 cents per gallon from when I activated my AP in December. Round trip is about 100 miles, so it's already costing me $3.00 more in gas. Now an extra buck to park! Being on a budget for my "fun" spending, this means I'll do without something else, like a coffee while waiting for Fantasmic, or dessert after a meal.

So that dollar increase, although small, will have an impact on my decision making. No doubt AP prices and parking add-on will also go up when it's time to renew.

I just think that a positive public relations move would have been to cut parking prices by one dollar during these hard economic times. It certainly would stimulate my desire to go to DLR and no doubt, I'd spend it somewhere else while there.

Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should".

CindyR
05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh I definately agree they shouldn't. It's just easy to see how they justify it. I personally think with as much as APers spend there, they should do more small benefits for them. Like, if it's busy open an AP entrance.

I'm just glad I live close enough to use my pass a ridiculous amount, with as expensive as they are. And I don't drive, so I'm lucky enough to not have to deal with parking, but I can't imagine dealing with it when you're trying to get your money's worth of your pass. My brother just got a pass this year, because his girlfriend's family has them, and I don't know if he has parking, but I know he's already hesistant to come up from San Diego because of gas prices, I'm sure increases in parking won't help.

Ugh, I had to pay $10 to park at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Irvine a couple months ago, and parking was ridiculous. It took us like 20 minutes to find a spot!

Califgirl
05-15-2008, 06:03 AM

Two off the to of my head are Sheraton Anaheim and the Hyatt Regency Orange County at the Disneyland Resort.

The Sheraton Anaheim does offer a free shuttle to Disneyland. It leaves every half hour and is pretty convenient. However, they charge $10 per car, per night when you stay there. So you're paying for parking one way or another. :rolleyes:

daveywest
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Okay, I read this the other day and kind of let it pass, but it's really been bothering me so I thought I would comment.

In the current economy, with gas at $4.00 per gallon, it feels like pure corporate greed to increase the parking price by $1.00. What will that bring in? Probably an additional $75,000 per week? ...

You forget that the price of oil affects so many other things. Asphalt requires oil to maintain. That cast member taking you money needs a raise to pay for the increased transportation costs to work there. Despite what PR might have you think, the tram you ride from the parking structure to the gate does not run on pixie dust.

Its the vicious circle of inflation.

WITron
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Parking at Six Flags Great America is $15.

Pr1ncess365
05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure if they pay anyone minimum wage, but if they do they had to increase everyone here to $8hr

Crazydave
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
You forget that the price of oil affects so many other things. Asphalt requires oil to maintain. That cast member taking you money needs a raise to pay for the increased transportation costs to work there. Despite what PR might have you think, the tram you ride from the parking structure to the gate does not run on pixie dust.

Its the vicious circle of inflation.

Exactly... by they way... have you seen the price of diesel fuel (the fuel that the Parking Lot Trams use).... it's almost a $1.00 more per gallon than gasoline, around $4.50-$4.70 per gallon.