PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any third park info?

LuvTDL
09-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi there everyone,
its been a while since I wrote on here but was looking to see if anyone could help me out...

I'm in my masters program right now for urban planning and am trying to start a case study on the third park proposed in Anaheim.

The purpose of the case study is to understand all sides of the case and to understand what issues surround it.

I'm sure that there are some people out there opposed to Disney building a third park in Anaheim... but does anyone know for sure if there are any community groups out there forming to oppose the third park? or even any individuals who have been heavily opposed to it?

I did a little search on the internet but unfortunately couldn't find anything...

Thanks so much!

Iceman
09-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Try doing a search on "WESTCOT". That was Disney's proposed second gate that was to be built in Long Beach near the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose. From what I recall, community groups banded together to prevent that project from coming to fruition...

Cadaverous Pallor
09-26-2002, 01:21 PM
I'd have to agree with Iceman. The "third gate" idea is pretty much dead and has been since DCA's numbers came out. There's probably some good info in Al's old updates at Mouseplanet on Westcot. When Long Beach wasn't having it, they decided to make Anaheim their resort town.

JeffG
09-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
Try doing a search on "WESTCOT". That was Disney's proposed second gate that was to be built in Long Beach near the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose. From what I recall, community groups banded together to prevent that project from coming to fruition...

Westcot was actually the first announced plan for the Disneyland parking lot. The Long Beach project was going to be Disney Sea, which eventually was adapted into the design for Tokyo.

-Jeff

Techie7
09-26-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
Westcot was actually the first announced plan for the Disneyland parking lot. The Long Beach project was going to be Disney Sea, which eventually was adapted into the design for Tokyo.

-Jeff

I will confirm this information. Disney Seas is still listed as Long Beach bound in a recent version of Dave Smith's Disney A-Z Encyclopedia

Iceman
09-26-2002, 06:17 PM
I stand corrected! Thank you, Jeff...

LuvTDL
09-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Thank you for all the information!

I will do a search on Westcot...

I've been wondering about the third park too, in terms of Disney's financial situation at the moment as well... because the last I heard, they had gotten approval from Anaheim's city hall to go ahead with their project...

I should contact city hall to... hrmm....

I would think that there are at least SOME people who are completely opposed to another Disney park in Anaheim....

does Disney already own the land that they want to build the park on? I heard that they would have to buy out one of the big farms in that area?

California Aggie
09-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by LuvTDL
I heard that they would have to buy out one of the big farms in that area?

They bought the farm maybe two or three years ago. According to the now defunct thirdthemepark.com website (an official site from Disney Imagineering) they had about 80 acres of land to build on... a park, hotel, and retail area was to be included. The most recent design rumors online said that the plan was for a water park themed to continents from around the world. But as this site has reported, no work or planning appears to be going on with the site, for now....

my guess is that Disney will just sit on the property for a while. maybe build a hotel or two. they'd be fools to sell it!

justagrrl
09-28-2002, 06:31 AM
There's a group of residents that don't like the current volume of fireworks (or what was the current volume of every night or nearly every night). They might also be oppoused to a 3rd park?

stitcher
10-02-2002, 10:05 PM
Try environmentalists too! I'm sure someone's getting fed up with the multitude of waterparks. IMHO Just having Raging Waters, Wild Rivers (and the one near Palm Springs) was fine. I see no reason to add a sixth water park to suck up even more precious resources.

Gymgirl975
10-03-2002, 07:34 PM
resources being "soaked" up......ahahahahahha

stitcher
10-03-2002, 08:33 PM
hahahahahaha

I like that!

Aloha,
Stitcher

thekirk
10-04-2002, 09:44 AM
Surely no 3rd park will be started until they fix DCA.

How can they start something without fixing a problem they already have?

It'll be 6-8 years before the 3rd park is put in...I say.