PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own Lightsabers

Pages : [1] 2

MKY4ME
05-05-2008, 08:28 AM
for a few weeks now, Star Trader Star Wars store has been featuring the Build Your Own Lightsabers. They are $21.50 (19.95 plus tax) and you can get red or clear blades and single or double edged blades for the same price. There are 4 different color choices for lenses, and three sound chips included. 2 C batteries are also included.

Come by the Star Wars store and become a Jedi Master!

candles71
05-05-2008, 08:30 AM
DH thought this was the coolest thing ever when he saw it......

Drince88
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
My nephews LOVED this when they went to WDW.

Shhhhh don't tell Mr. Niwel!!!

Niwel
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Shhhhh don't tell Mr. Niwel!!!
LOL Drince!

He already knows....:eek: (sort of)

He knows they are at DTD in WDW and was planning on getting one in October. We'll be at DL in two weeks with some friends. The only thing I can hope for is
1) We don't go on Star Tours or
2) I can usher him out of the store before he notices

.... I'm going home with a light sabered hubby aren't I?

candles71
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM

if he is like my DH or anyone in my family for that matter than uh YEAH!!!!:D

Drince88
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
At least if you get it at DL you won't have to worry about getting it home cross-country!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
My son is 4, the CM graciously built his for him and seemed to have a great time doing it!!!

Wendi
05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Cool, my son built one in WDW last year and lately has been talking about building another one when we go back... we will actually be in Disneyland next month and won't get to WDW until September so I guess he can get one earlier than planned.

MKY4ME
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
LOL Drince!

He already knows....:eek: (sort of)

He knows they are at DTD in WDW and was planning on getting one in October. We'll be at DL in two weeks with some friends. The only thing I can hope for is
1) We don't go on Star Tours or
2) I can usher him out of the store before he notices

into the store--the lightsaber building station STARES RIGHT AT YOU! will be difficult to avoid it I am afraid......sorry.....

yenko427
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Since I think we own every lightsaber that they put out in the stores how are these different?

UsBurchs
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I read this to my husband. His reaction was "I'm SO getting one of those". (We're going to WDW - I know they have them there too). My son responded "Me too! Me too!" I guess I'm in for many a lightsaber battle at my home. Gee, fun.

Nope, there just isn't anything you can do to stop a StarWars fanatic . . . and he thinks I'm bad (about Disney) - Whatever! ;)

piglet 05
05-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Since I think we own every lightsaber that they put out in the stores how are these different?

straight to the point -- its a build your own meaning you can mix and match everyones items -- ie - darth vaders hilt with yoda's switch with luke's color saber (a disc you put in the bottom to make it glow that color), etc. so instead of the build-a-lightsaber that came in the pkgs last season, where its all darth maul's lightsaber (plastic ones) and you just literally build his lightsaber or double edged one with his colors and hilt, etc. this at the parks/dtd, you can literally take a piece from each character practically and make it into your own special one of a kind lightsaber.

this from my hubby who is the ubergeek (i'm a small geek girl)... and he owns the packaged plastic buildasabers and we own darth vader's special fx one.

i recall going into the toy place with him last trip to wdw and he looked at it and saw what you did (explained above) but he decided not to do it. he liked the idea behind it but the execution wasnt very good. i'm not saying dont buy it, just telling you the opinion of an ubergeek - (no offense i hope) which you kinda sound like because you said you own almost every one out there :)

we saw kids liked it a lot cuz what kid wouldnt want to pick out each piece and not have to buy one thats preassembled?? hehe but just not something for us...

so just our opinions...

piglet 05
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM

oh yeah and yes they are still plastic ones/pieces.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I bet my kids will want to get these next week!

darph nader
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM

Because they're $21.50 and batterys are included.:rolleyes:

yenko427
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the details on it. I am trying to justify the cost when we have every color under the rainbow already........and that is my son's favorite store at DL so avoiding it is not an option. Thanks again.

Ohthatjeff
05-07-2008, 05:02 AM
I've heard that they've added the display to the WDW Star Traders as well. Unlike the DTD display, the CM assembles it for you and you just point out what you want. Since it's one lightsaber at a time, the line for it is rather long. Anyone know if it's this way at the DL Star Traders as well?

Drince88
05-07-2008, 05:40 AM
I've heard that they've added the display to the WDW Star Traders as well. Unlike the DTD display, the CM assembles it for you and you just point out what you want. Since it's one lightsaber at a time, the line for it is rather long. Anyone know if it's this way at the DL Star Traders as well?

While I think that would make the lines long, only 2 or 3 people could have worked on a saber together at the WDW DTD display - AND the CM at the cash register had to dis-assemble/reassemble everything so that each part could be rung up individually. If having the CM do the assembly takes THAT out of the equation, the entire process might be faster.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Because they're $21.50 and batterys are included.:rolleyes:

I don't think $21.50 is too bad.

Wendi
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
While I think that would make the lines long, only 2 or 3 people could have worked on a saber together at the WDW DTD display - AND the CM at the cash register had to dis-assemble/reassemble everything so that each part could be rung up individually. If having the CM do the assembly takes THAT out of the equation, the entire process might be faster.

Wow, our CM didn't have to dis-assemble and reassemble everything to ring us up... she did ask to make sure we got all three of the jewel things for the different sound effects, etc, several light disks and all that... plus we had help building ours. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that once you've made your lightsaber and are checking out, the CM at the counter does install batteries and makes sure that it works AND you get a Jedi or Sith pin. Max almost got a Sith pin last time, but then changed his mind, he is looking forward to getting the Sith pin next time so he'll have both on his lanyard!!! hehehe

TTFN92
05-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't think $21.50 is too bad.

I don't think it is either. At Target the lightsabers are 19.99, which is the same as the DL ones before tax. My DS was given a Darth Vader one for his birthday last year that was around $35-that's expensive and why a couple people bought it together.

Two of my boys are so into Star Wars right now (because of the Lego Star Wars Wii game) and cannot wait until we go to DL in Nov. so they can make their own lightsaber. One of them keeps talking about needing to earn $20 so he can get it. November is a long way away to talk about it all the time ;).

Ohthatjeff
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
AND the CM at the cash register had to dis-assemble/reassemble everything so that each part could be rung up individually. If having the CM do the assembly takes THAT out of the equation, the entire process might be faster.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that that was originally done to keep track of inventory and to figure out how often individual pieces (such as hilts or connectors for dual blades) needed to be shipped to the store. The shipments are now automatic (though not a perfect system) and are adjusted as needed.

MKY4ME
05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

they are totally unique to your own imagination and can be single or double sworded--we do not sell PREMADE Darth Maul double sworded sabers,

MKY4ME
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM

it does not matter what you put on it, the saber is NOT taken apart at Star Trader in DLR at least. We usually have 2 CMs helping the guests pick out the parts and then assemble it for them. Then they come to the register, pay $21.50 and get their saber with the batteries installed.

Heffalump
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh boy this is going to be a big hit in my house.