PDA

View Full Version : Candy Palace

Pages : [1] 2

PirateoftheCaribbean
06-26-2001, 09:58 AM
What kind of goodies do you guys get at the Candy Palace? I always stop by for some chocolate dipped strawberries. (when they have them) That or a Caramel apple.:D

Andrew
06-26-2001, 10:16 AM
Peanut-butter/chocolate covered pretzels, coconut-cashew brittle, toffee peanuts... my wife loves the chocolate covered strawberries.

lisap
06-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Milk chocolate honey comb--the best.

Lacrosse Boy
06-26-2001, 11:50 AM
I want Candy! ;)

http://a99.g.akamaitech.net/7/99/2301/2001130175159/www.getmusic.com/artists/001/aaroncarter/images/video.jpg

(This is an Aaron Carter Song)

Ralph Wiggum
06-26-2001, 03:57 PM
Red or Green sour balls!!

Dreamstaker
06-26-2001, 06:41 PM
Truffles!

MMMM chocolate :)

KarenW2
06-26-2001, 10:23 PM
My favorite things at the Candy Palace are the assorted flavor sour balls and the Adams & Brooks Butter Toffee Nuts. The A&Bs remind me of when I used to go there on dates in high school and afterwards!

Does anyone know where outside of the park you can buy A&B Butter Toffee Nuts??

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on those!

Morrigoon
06-27-2001, 07:55 AM
My gripe with the candy palace is it seems to have lost its imagination. When I was a kid, I remember there being so many flavors of candy canes/peppermint sticks, you could lose count. I'm sure there was somewhere near forty though. Now it seems they have that one little rack and that's it. The focus seems to be more and more on the pre-packaged boxes and tins of chocolate or cookies.
Don't get me wrong, I like the tins (to a point), but I lament the loss of the riot of color that used to be the candy palace. I go in less often as a result, so they're losing impulse buys from me.
My other gripe is with the menu for the candy window. It too, lacks imagination. Always the same old stuff: english toffee, turtles, blah blah blah. Once in a while they break the monotony with those lovely dipped strawberries, but they don't come as often as the rest of the "same ol' same ol'." I wish they'd overhaul that store and try to bring in some new things. Obviously candy dipped fruit is popular. With the eating styles of the American public directed more towards fruits etc, why not offer more of the dipped fruit? How about dried fruits, or chocolate dipped dried fruits? (Anyone who's ever tasted chocolate covered blueberries knows where I'm coming from on this one) Those kind of candies are often coated in a color to match their contents (blueberries usually covered in purple candy coating, strawberries in pink, etc). It would expand the menu as well as contribute to the selection in the store.
While I'm on my soapbox.... Wouldn't it be fun to see the candy store in Frontierland sell nuts by the pound? I can just see myself strolling through the park with a bag of cashews.... yum!

But mostly... bring on the chocolate dipped fruit!

PirateoftheCaribbean
06-27-2001, 08:07 AM
I agree with ya, Morrigoon. There used to be a lot more. I do, still love the place, but They've lost some cool things for Pez, Nestle Wonder Balls, etc. One thing that's cool is that while I was there last, They had THREE different kinds of caramel apples being made. I had to come back Tow more times to try them all.:p

The lady working the cash register, Last visit, was very rude. My nephew, whom I was taking down Main Street while the others who went with us were at the hotel, asked to go in to The CP and I told him I would get him some Choc. Strawberries (if they had any). He went up and asked, and the older woman responded, "They're not in season, kid." with a sneer and she quickly turned away to help a man who was done shopping. The place wasn't busy at all. They had a few people working there, too. She could have at least been polite.:mad:

lisap
06-27-2001, 08:13 AM
Have any of you tried the salt water taffy in the next room? We like it a lot, and you seem to get good value for your money. Four bucks or so will buy a big bag for everyone to share, and you can pick out your own flavors.

What would really be cool is if they had a little taffy machine right there so you could see it being made--I used to love watching stuff like that.

PirateoftheCaribbean
06-27-2001, 08:22 AM
I LOVE the taffy. I sometimes get a little bag to take around the park, or put in my pocket so I can have one while I'm walkin'.:D

KarenW2
06-27-2001, 08:49 AM
I thought a taffy place would've been an obvious idea for the Paradise Pier section of DCA, since it has that kind of atmosphere. Alas, they only have a couple of things pre-packaged there.

SimpTwister
06-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Absolutely. A Taffy Puller macine in the window of a Taffy Shop at Paradise Pier... that would be cool.

Maybe it could be a replacement for McD's! :D

OK, I'm dreaming....

Gregmh48
06-27-2001, 04:14 PM
They sell Taffy in Paradise Pier, but it would be batter if it was made there.

dghosthost
06-27-2001, 04:15 PM
I always grab a bag of taffy and one of those old giant Disney lollypops (I never grow up!). If they still had the rainbow of candy sticks I'd be getting those, but they have more flavors at the local candy store :(

I used to get the marzipan for my grandfather, until they stopped carrying it. That was the first time I was disappointed in Disneyland and I remember the
CM at the palace had also let me know she was not happy with the types of candy they were starting to stock.

Napsto
06-27-2001, 05:35 PM
chocolate fudge.

jslivinski
08-01-2001, 02:59 PM
My husband I love the turtles. Buy them and hid them from the kids.:D Oh and the divinity, not my favorite, but a special treat since it's so hard to find.

lisap
08-01-2001, 03:18 PM
The candy shop sells very good honeycomb/seafoam candy (I forget what they call it.) Melts in your mouth. I've never seen them make it in the window--do they make all the candy displayed in the front counter shelves at the park?

FantasmicFan82
08-01-2001, 05:52 PM
I'm with Napsto, I LOVE the Fudge, also Candy Apples when they're beign made fresh. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 01:10 AM
Technically this isn't the Candy Palace, but...

PUMPKIN FUDGE!!! (availible during holiday seasons only, at the cabin looking shop next to the shooting gallery in Frontierland)

beanpole
08-03-2001, 12:40 AM
I always pick up a bag of coconut brittle or butter toffee peanuts on my way out the park at closing time. That's the spoonful of sugar that helps the medicine go down - the medicine of having to leave DL and go home.

lisap
08-03-2001, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Technically this isn't the Candy Palace, but...

PUMPKIN FUDGE!!! (availible during holiday seasons only, at the cabin looking shop next to the shooting gallery in Frontierland)

Now you're talkin' That stuff was awesome. I think the stuff only available during the holidays just taste better cause we fantasize about them all year....

Jenlan2001
08-08-2001, 04:29 PM
TURTLES!!!

And nothing beats the huge candy canes at Christmas! Love watching them being made, but be careful getting them home!

Lacrosse Boy - I Want Candy....BowWowWow in the early 80's! :)

EandCDad
08-08-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jenlan2001
TURTLES!!!

And nothing beats the huge candy canes at Christmas! Love watching them being made, but be careful getting them home!

Lacrosse Boy - I Want Candy....BowWowWow in the early 80's! :)

It's funny that you mention that BowWowWow song Jenlan. I made a mix CD for my daughter (who is six. . . whoops, she turned seven today!) that includes the BowWowWow version of the song, I Want Candy. We were playing it in the car today and my daughter's friend whispered to her "this is that Aaron Carter song." These kids today, they have no respect for the classics.

Dlandmom
08-08-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Red or Green sour balls!!

Have you tried the purples?;)